Track 02 - Whispering Melody

The Musical Man

March 7, 2009

4:43 PM

 

Days turned into weeks and weeks into months and within that time, a relationship that sparked due to some coincidental encounter developed rapidly into one that bordered upon brotherhood. Jonghun and Hongki had grown very accustomed to the other’s company. And although at times they grew irritated with each other’s faults and fought, they continued to find great comfort in each other. For once in his life, Jonghun truly felt happy.

 

“JONGHUNNNNNN!!!!”

“What’s with the all the excitement?”

“It’s your birthday today silly! What’s not to be excited about? So what do you want to do today? Do you want to hit the clubs? Or maybe we can go drinking!”

Laughing at the overjoyed blonde, Jonghun answered peacefully, “You know I’m not really fond of all that. Let’s just spend it quietly.”

“But that’s so boring! Come on! There must be something you want to do.”

“Well…now that you mention it…there is one thing I really do want to do…”

“What? What is it?!”

“I want to take a picture with you.”

“That’s it? That’s you’re big birthday wish?! Taking a picture with me?”

“Hey! It’s not just any picture! It’s a picture with you and that’s makes it very special!”

 

Hongki felt his cheeks redden at the younger’s request. A mischievous smile forming on his face, he walked over to the desk and fumbled through the drawers, only to come back with a piece of black cloth in his hands.

 

“What’s this?”

“A piece of black cloth.”

“I know what it is Hongki. I’m asking why you’re giving it to me.”

“Well you said you wanted to take a picture with me right? Well I know the perfect place.”

“And what does that have to do with me being blindfolded?”

“Well the place is a special place…I want it to be a surprise.”

 

Somewhat perplexed, Jonghun nevertheless complied with Hongki’s wishes and placed the black article over his eyes.

 

“I hope it’s really as special as you say it is Hongki…”

“Don’t worry. You’ll be amazed.

 

 

When they finally arrived at their destination, Hongki gently undid the blindfold on Jonghun. Opening his eyes slowly in order to adjust to the light, Jonghun steadily began to register his surroundings. They were on a narrow road, surrounded by trees, and to the sides were benches. It was a park. “Really? This is you’re special place Hongki? A park?”

 

An innocent smile formed on Hongki’s face. “Not just any park Jonghun…It’s the park where you and I met for the first time.” Taking Jonghun’s hands and mingling it with his own, Hongki continued, “Jonghun…look at me.” Turning around, they were now directly facing each other. They stayed like that for some time.

 

“Jonghun.”

“Hmm?”

“I’m going to take you’re picture now so don’t move.”

 

Immediately thereafter, Hongki smiled fondly before closing his eyes shut and reopening them. “Click. There I took you’re photo. Now I’ll never forget you. Do you want to take my picture?” A warm smile formed on Jonghun’s face. “I’d love to.”

Like Hongki, Jonghun stared at the blonde and closed his eyes shut before reopening them again. “Click. There…now I have a photo of you too so I won’t forget you either."

“Well then Mr. Choi. I guess there’s only one thing left to do…” Giving Jonghun’s hand a slight squeeze, Hongki straightened his posture and began to sing.

 

Happy Birthday to You

Happy Birthday to You

Happy Birthday dear Choi Jonghun

Happy Birthday to You

 

After singing, Hongki promptly embraced Jonghun in his arms and began to caress the younger’s back. “Thank you Jonghun…Thank you for coming into my life.” Tears began to slowly drop from Hongki’s eyes onto Jonghun’s neck. Worried, Jonghun asked, “Hongki…are you crying?”

“N-no.”

“Hongki…what’s wrong?”

“J-just…just let me stay like this…for a while longer…just a little bit longer…”

 

Don’t worry Hongki…I’ll always be here for you…

 

 

10:22 PM

 

When he came home, Hongki quickly took off his shoes and made his way towards the wall that housed all his postcards. Looking at them individually, a sorrowful smile formed upon his face and tears began to fall once again. Pulling out the photo he took with Jonghun at the restaurant from his coat, he pinned it onto the wall and stared at it. They were both smiling. Especially Jonghun. He seemed to be truly happy. Tracing his finger over Jonghun’s smile, he silently whispered, “I’m sorry Jonghun…I’m so sorry.” Clutching his chest, Hongki then trudged over to his desk and brought out the postcard and pen that he had stashed away in his drawer. He then reached into his pocket and produced an orange bottle with a white cap and took two pills from the capsule. Thereafter, he slowly began to write on the postcard.

 

WOOF

WOOF

 

“I don’t have much time left Ah-jik…”

 

When he finished, he placed the postcard in an envelope, sealed it, and stuck two postage stamps on the front. He then plodded out the door and arrived at the main lobby. Walking over to the mail section, he silently inserted the envelope into the outgoing mailbox.

 

...

 

March 8, 2009

9:12 AM

 

When Jonghun awoke the next morning, memories of the night before flooded into his conscience. Unlike most his age who would’ve preferred to celebrate their birthday lavishly in the company of friends, family, and alcohol, Jonghun declined all of that, electing instead to spend it with one person – Lee Hongki.

Ever since the day when he had coincidently met Hongki, Jonghun had always housed some form of lingering affection for the blonde. He felt happiness whenever he was with him and when separated, he couldn’t help but worry about him. At first, he had tried to ignore these feelings of endearment, believing that it was irrational. After all, they were both men, and such feelings of affection were, and always had been, shunned by the society around them. However, as the days continued to pass by, the more and more he came to realize – he was in love with Lee Hongki. He was sure of it now. Nothing else mattered. Washing up, he quickly dressed himself and slung his guitar before heading out for Hongki’s apartment. All he hoped for now was that Hongki felt the same.

 

 

Clutching his chest, beads of cold sweat encased Hongki’s forehead as he fumbled for the pills. His vision blurred, he tried desperately to open the bottle but was unable to, ultimately dropping the packet. And as numbness began to slowly encroach his frail anatomy, Hongki leaned his back to the wall.

 

WOOF

WOOF

 

“…I’m sorry…Ah-jik…looks like…this…is it…for…me…” Closing his eyes, his conscience began to reminisce about the first time he had encountered Jonghun.

 

 

October 3, 2008

 

Like any other day, Hongki walked about the cold park with Ah-jik. Although he found it freezing, the dog didn’t seem to mind the weather, instead amused by the myriad of people walking to and fro amongst each other. Continuing to walk, the pair eventually came upon a large crowd of people, all of which were seemingly entranced by whatever spectacle they were gathered around. Curious, Hongki took the young pup in his arms and walked towards the gathered mass, hearing a quaint acoustic melody as he drew closer.

 

When he finally arrived, he found himself a position where he could see a soft mosaic of the musical man, whose fingers continued to masterfully instrument the acoustic guitar, producing the most serene of euphonic melodies. Shaking his head to the melody, his black hair waved about rhythmically in the winds giving light to the perfectly sculpted nose and jawline. Witnessing such a view, Hongki felt his heart flutter.

 

Bewitched by the beauty of both the man and the musical, Hongki continued to stand there dumbfounded, silently praying that this moment would never end. It didn’t matter if the musical man was close or afar, so long as he could stay there and admire him. Eventually, the performance drew to an end and the crowd roared with applause and cheers before slowly dissipating one by one, until finally, he was alone. And yet, his mind was infatuated with the musical man, and his heart continued to flutter. Kissing his dog on its forehead, he slightly whispered in it’s ear, “Ah-jik…I think I might be in love…”

 

 

October 17, 2008

 

Since then, Hongki continued diligently to visit the park every day so that he could admire him from afar. Today was no different. He arrived at the park at the same time and waited at the spot where the man and his acoustic symphonies were to be instrumented. However, although the clock continued to tick, the musical man was nowhere to be seen. Still, Hongki continued to wait tirelessly at that spot, hoping with the utmost sincerity, that the man would come again today.

 

As time refused to wait, Hongki slowly felt the seconds turn into minutes, and minutes into hours. It was high noon now and most people had gone off about their business, leaving the park almost barren of people. Looking at the time, he realized that it was growing late, and that he too, should get going.

 

WOOF

WOOF

 

“I’m sorry Ah-jik…maybe he’s not coming today…” he said solemnly.

 

WOOF

 

“Ah-jik…what are you barking at?”

 

WOOF

WOOF

 

Wondering as to what exactly his dog was barking at, Hongki peered over in its direction, only to see a familiar figure walking towards him. It was him - the musical man and him alone. Once again, he could slowly hear his heart beat accelerating. Quickly taking Ah-jik into his arms, Hongki whispered, “Remember him?”

 

WOOF

 

“I need you to run to him. Think you could do that for me boy?”

 

WOOF

WOOF

 

Like he had instructed, the white dog ran swiftly towards the man, barking along the way as it did. After it ran some distance, Hongki too began to run after the dog, as if he were chasing it, during which, he cupped his hands and hollered towards the musical man, “You there! Can you please stop that dog?!” And as he had requested, the man stepped briskly in front of the dog and took it into his arms.

 

“T-thank you for catching him Mr. –”

“Jonghun. The name’s Jonghun.”

 

 

Feeling the very last reserves of his strength slip away, Hongki slowly began to feel cold, eliciting a jerking like response from his body. The mere act of breathing was now a daunting task that required everything he had. Drops of tears began to fall from his eyes and his breathing grew hushed as he slowly began to lose his senses. Everything was growing dark.

 

RIIIIING

RIIIIING

 

RIIIIING

RIIIIING

 

Barely breathing, he rolled his eyes slowly to his cellphone. A picture was on the main screen of the phone as it rang. It was Jonghun. Desperate to hear his voice one last time, he gathered what strength he had left and inched his fingers towards the phone, which laid just beyond his reach.

 

RIIIIING

RIIIIING

 

The moment he removed himself from the wall, the pain in his chest intensified tenfold. His entire body ached in agony. Clutching his chest, Hongki attempted to crawl but collapsed almost immediately. Stretching his arms the most he could, he could finally place the very tip of his finger on the ringing phone. No matter how desperately he yearned to answer the phone, his body would no longer move. It was so close and yet so far.

 

Jonghun…

 

He grew still and a single teardrop fell. He was no more.

 

...

 

The person you are trying to reach is unavailable right now. Please leave a voice message try again later.

 

Nervous, Jonghun had been standing outside Hongki’s door for some minutes now. Several times now, had he knocked on the door, hoping that the blonde would answer but to no avail. Worried, he tapped the wooden barrier again but nothing. He tried to call him again.

 

The person you are trying to reach is unavailable right now. Please leave a voice message or try again later.

 

He tried again.

 

The person you are trying to reach is unavailable right now. Please leave a voice message or try again later.

 

Selecting the first option, a beep was heard over the line before he was allowed to record his message.

 

“Hongki it’s me Jonghun. Can you please let me in? I’m outside you’re place right now and have something very important to tell you. Call me when you get this message.” Hanging up, he leaned his back against the door and sat down. It was getting late now. Taking his guitar from the bag, he began to gently strum Hongki’s favorite tune. He would wait for Hongki. No matter how long it took.