Chopstick Wishes

Baekhyun One-Shots

“Baek, I’m hungry. Let’s go,” Cassie prods the unmoving Baekhyun, who is asleep on the desk, with her pink pencil. Baekhyun moves slightly and mumbles something incoherent.

“What? What’s that Baek? Can’t hear you over my rumbling tummy,” Cassie says in a loud, obnoxious manner before she pokes him again. Baekhyun finally sits up straight in a jolt.

“Where’s the lion?” he says in a sleepy, hazed voice and Cassie bursts out laughing.

“What’s so funny? Wait…um..sorry, no lion. I was dreaming,” Baekhyun mumbles and rubs his eyes sleepily.

“Baek, why are you so sleepy today? Come on, let’s go eat. I’m starving,” Cassie starts pulling Baekhyun and he finally follows her out the library.

“I was up doing homework. My math professor knows nothing about rest. One day, I hope she falls asleep in class,” he says with vengeful eyes. Cassie chuckles and slips her arms around his.

“Let’s get sushi,” she announces and Baekhyun nods fervently.

Ten minutes later, they are settled comfortably in a booth next to the sushi bar. Baekhyun calls for the waiter and he orders their usual.

“Um…can we have one dragon roll, one serving of salmon sashimi, one California roll and two of the small Unagi sushi?” Cassie can almost taste the delicious Unagi in . The waiter jots it all down quickly and walks away to another table with hurried steps.

“What’s up in your class? I heard a student yelled at a teacher somewhere,” he starts conversationally and starts fiddling with his chopsticks.

“Yeah, it was in my class. A boy had the nerve to tell the teacher she was wrong and well…it did not go very well….but other than that, my class is as boring as always,” she sighs and pulls apart her chopsticks. They split evenly at the center so Cassie does what she would always do…she closes her eyes and makes a silent wish.

“They don’t work, you know,” Baekhyun points out bluntly when she opens her eyes. He gives her a sorry look but Cassie ignores him.

“What do you wish for anyway?” He asks her, getting a little curious. Cassie never tells him about her wishes, he realizes.

“Can’t tell. It won’t come true,” she says, taking a sip of the water the waiter just gave them in translucent yellow cups. Baekhyun huffs and pouts. Oh…no. No.

“Baek, I will throw a shrimp to you if you start going all aegyo on me,” Cassie warns him. She knows she will cave the instant he starts acting cute and this is the one thing she can’t tell her best friend. It’s not the time.

Under her vicious and intimidating glare, Baekhyun rolls his eyes and looks away instead. “Fine. But you’ll tell me someday. Right?”

“Sure.”

“That doesn’t sound very convincing,” he says.

“Promise. There, happy?”

“Not really, but okay, I guess…” he has the nerve to snicker so Cassie shoots him another murderous look.

“You’re more cute than scary when you do that, you know,” Baekhyun muses and Cassie is a little thrown off. She fights off the blush creeping to her cheeks hopelessly and Baekhyun laughs at her failing attempt.

“Stop it,” Cassie mutters and tries to breathe evenly. The waiter distracts Baekhyun from saying whatever it is he’s about to say. He places plates of neatly rolled sushi with sweet black sauce strewn carelessly over the top. The pink salmon glistens, looking as delectable as always. Before Cassie can start taking one for herself, Baekhyun snatches the dragon roll she had her eye on and puts two pieces on her plate.

“Eat. You said you’re hungry,” he grins and takes one for himself. Cassie shrugs and starts dipping the sushi into soy sauce.

“Thanks,” she says before her first glorious bite.

“I love sushi,” she hums a few minutes into their meal. Baekhyun snorts and Cassie stares at him.

“I really do.”

“I know. Its your obsession,” he snickers and sips his drink.

“Yeah it is. You wouldn’t understand,” she sniffs and Baekhyun almost chokes on his water.

“I do,” he says indignantly. “I can be obsessed with something too, you know,” he points out.

“Okay. Video games. I get it. Okay, we are equal,” Cassie nods knowingly and takes another bite. Baekhyun helps himself to more of the California rolls. Cassie watches as he picks out the cucumber, making a face at them. She laughs at him, almost a ritual for them. Baekhyun hates cucumbers with a passion. Cassie doesn’t understand why. He says it’s the smell…

“They stink.”

“I will never understand you, Byun Baekhyun.”

And to that, Baekhyun nods proudly. “That is right.” Cassie might have been imagining things but she could have sworn she detects a certain wry note behind those words. She brushes it off because Baekhyun has always been cryptic. Cassie thinks for his age, he is anyway. He’s more mature than half the boys in her class put together, which is why she sticks to him like a starfish sticks on a rock.

And because he’s really cute and sweet.

Not that she would ever tell him that. Cassie will never let herself get over the day Baekhyun gave up his seat for her in class when they were playing the musical chair game. She thinks that must have been the day they started talking to each other.

“Can we have the bill please?” Baekhyun waves his hands to the waiter and he nods, coming to our table with a piece of paper. Cassie didn’t realize their meal has come to and end. The plates are emptied except for stray clumps of cucumber and avocado set aside. The waiter eyes them warily and Baekhyun heeds no attention to that. Cassie starts to take out her wallet but Baekhyun stops her.

“Wait, let me get this one. I owe you anyway,” he assures her and pays the waiter. Cassie has half a mind to stand up and walk up to the cashier herself. Baekhyun is too generous.

“Why?”

“You had to help me with the English homework yesterday. Even though you had music practice and all,” he explains with a genuine, appreciative look on his eyes. Cassie feels like hugging him.

“Aw Baek, it was nothing. Really. Now, I owe you the next time we go out for sushi, okay?”

“Nope. Not taking it. I’m the boy here, Cassie. Just…just let me do my thing,” he says, trying to sound suave but Cassie ends up cracking up.

“When did you become such a…a…” Cassie racks up her brain trying to find the perfect word.

“Gentleman,” she finally said and breaks out into another fit of laughter.

“But, I mean…well…um,” Baekhyun scratches the back of his head nervously. When the waiter recues him for the second time with the change, Baekhyun thanks him and stands up. Cassie grabs her wallet and hops out the booth.

“Oh no, I have biology class soon,” Cassie groans. They start to make their way back to school, noticing more students going the same way as well.

“So Baek…Gentleman, huh?” Cassie smirks and she nudges him teasingly. Baekhyun breathes in sharply and looks away shyly.

“Mind telling me why?” she continues, although curiosity gnaws at her insides.

“Nothing,” Baekhyun says, holding his ground. Cassie frowns.

“Baek, come on. Tell me. We’re best friends, right?” She pulls out the best friend card.

“Unfortunately,” Baekhyun mutters darkly and Cassie feels a stronger urge to pry into his reasoning. Baekhyun being very private about this, she thinks, slightly miffed.

“Okay.”

“Wait, Cassie, are you…mad at me?” Baekhyun almost pleads to her and Cassie has to fight every fiber in her sorry body to not give away under the look he’s giving her.

“Maybe.”

“I…um…I’m sorry. I just, I guess I just wanted to impress a girl,” he explains at the speed of light. Cassie’s jaw drops. She feels a strange nagging in her heart.

“I never knew you like someone,” she says, a little hurt because he never told her.

“Yeah, I’m sorry. I don’t think I can-”

“Who is it?” Cassie’s impatience cuts his words. Hesitant is a little understatement to describe Baekhyun’s expression then. He stops walking abruptly and fiddles with his thumb nervously. Cassie looks at him, waiting and waiting, with bated breath for answers that she can only guess.

It must be that girl in his math class. He’s always talking about her.

It must be that girl in his science class. Oh gosh, she knew it. She knew it. He’s always telling Cassie about her jokes.

Or maybe…it’s that new girl in English class. Yeah, must be. That’s why he’s paying less attention in class lately. That’s why he needs help with his homework.

Cassie almost wants to scream at Baekhyun to give her answers right that instant.

“I- um,” Baekhyun seems to be in pain… He is more than reluctant to tell her. It must be someone she doesn’t like, Cassie thinks and she groans inwardly.

“Baek, just give it to me,” she sighs.

“Okay. Fine. I will.” Baekhyun says it in a firm and decisive manner that Cassie puts on a smug smile. She waits. Baekhyun looks around and gestures for her to come closer, as if he is about to whisper to her. So she does, shaking her head at his sudden immaturity. Baekhyun’s breath tickles her skin. She tries to ignore the fact that they are in closer proximity than she is used to…or their faces are, anyway.

“I…”

She never heard the rest of his sentence, because Byun Baekhyun chooses to plant a cheeky kiss on her cheek.

“I…” It’s Cassie’s turn to be speechless as Baekhyun pulls away from her, with a bashful look.

“I think I like you. Sorry,” he apologizes and Cassie is left to blush like never before in her life.

She thinks angels are singing all around her. The world has just blessed her with a miracle. Because Cassie thinks she likes Byun Baekhyun too.

“You…I always wish for you,” she mumbles, her hands rubbing her cheek where his lips were less than a minute ago.

“What?”

“The chopsticks, you silly.”

“Oh. Wow, I never knew,” he states and Cassie wanted to drown herself because when Baekhyun isn’t cryptic, he is being painfully obvious and slow.

“Of course not, that’s why I never told you,” Cassie explains with a resigned look on her face. Baekhyun bursts out laughing and the next thing she knows, Cassie joins him.

“Wow…this is, um, great, I guess?” Baekhyun asks once they have sobered up a little.

“I don’t know. What do you think?”

“I guess so.” Baekhyun starts to wrap his arms around her waist and Cassie feels butterflies in her tummy. This is exactly how she imagined they would be.

They walk together back to school, hand in hand, although with a different relationship stamped above their heads.

They aren’t just best friends anymore. They are obviously something more, Cassie thinks with a happy smile on her face. Something more. 

 


 

A/N: HI. OMG. THIS IS SUCH A LIGHT ONE-SHOT. HEHEHE ITS FOR MY FRIEND CASSIE <3 SORREH FOR NOT UPDATING GUYS, BUT OMG, MY HOLIDAY STARTEDDDDD WHEEE WHEEEE AND I FINISHED MY BAEK FIC. CHECK IT OUT, GUYS? HEHEH THANK YOUUU 

Between Lovers

I am still trying to develop a good plot for a possible Baek wolf fic OTL