The Prodigal's Parable

Human's Façade

"Come around, come around make a wall of thunder.
Be a spark in the dark, a tidal wave of dancing light."


Shine bright my little darlings, in the history of womankind, we always find it easy to like, love, bad boy’s charms. Who am I to reject the generous offering in the holy detox called tempestuous men wrapped with muscles and red wine? y, easy, and tasty. And the elites of Seoul may have just provided us with their share of the best high quality bad boys in the market. Start the battle ladies!


Soft thud of a closed door and harsh bristle of locking the door echoed deafeningly after the exchange of loud banter. The young man hand's trembled slightly with uncontained desire at the knob as he gritted his teeth in frustration. The taste of defeat as his notorious idea backfired at him covered his mouth. His eyes strayed for a moment to the monochromatic atmosphere of his apartment. Calming his overheated senses and mind from the previous sight he had encountered. A pleasing (way too pleasing he must admit) one but eliciting unpleasing reactions below (just because he had to think of the consequences).

After good seconds of breathing discipline he had learnt during his teenage years to reduce stress. Logic and rationalism hit him like tidal wave. His knees would definitely give up and his weight would be slumped down the floor in defeated manner if only he hadn’t had his steely calm façade forged over years of practices.

Well, everything inside his head was hurricane enough to compensate with his lack of screaming fits.

Holy frickin' .

He almost touched the girl in the most inappropriate manner (it’s completely different story in his mind but she doesn’t have to know that) when he had promised he’d tone it down. No matter how much of a player bastard he was, he is a man of his words. He had given her his words. But he still is one normal, healthy man.

The player downed his face with his fist in exasperation. Trying to conceal imaginary leaked emotions through his cracked mask.

No. Shim Changmin, a playboy extraordinaire, did not blush like a rabid school girl over an overly attractive girl in maid clothes.  He did not squeak. He did not drool and drop his jaw like some old erted bastards he often meets in some 'classified' parties. No, he managed to barely let the shameless reactions out but the slightest of jaw tightening and eyes widening before he opted to hide it as teasing. But something called libido and hormones had happily and voluntarily ruined it.

Yet, the chaebol felt ashamed at himself at his display of lust. For losing control even it was for a brief seconds. He was familiar with lust. It was in his daily plate. But an uncontrollable desire to claim and a second of brain-dead moment were something completely foreign for a seasoned playboy that stomped and played with both women’s heart and body as if it was nothing but toys for pleasure and convenience all his life.

He did not even know why he stopped. The contract was just a contract. A rich man like him could violate it and get away so easily. Yet he stopped. Maybe it was for the glossy panicked brown eyes or the trembling of the usually strong, confident voice. Or simply he had gained some of his decorum as man of his social standing which is as impossible as moon changing color to electric pink and fluorescent purple. Maybe it was the way she stopped resisting that scared him. The man did not know. But it kept nagging his consciousness like a poison. He did not want to know the answer either.

Shaking his head, the dark eyes man tried to stack his jumbled thought off to the back of his head as his long legs tried to regain its former power back. Carefully he rubbed his forehead, silently convincing himself he was not going to regret this game at all.

“What are you thinking?”

The spite-infused innocent question slapped him from his trance-like state. As if he was pulled by an iron cord, he spun his body and the delicacy that met his eyes screamed to be savored. If only the said delicacy wasn’t looking homicidal enough that a desperate Jim Moriarty would pale in comparison.

Automatically he went on default professional mode as his preying eyes assessing the fidgety girl. Most-likely from restraining herself from committing first class murder.

 “You?” He countered flirtatiously at his newly-acquired maid as he channeled into his playboy charisma. Her caramel-coated brown eyes were tingling with amusement at his attempt of concealing the truth by saying the partial truth. No, he won’t let her know his inner turmoil.

Her eyes were everywhere but into his. He tasted a bitter taste on his tongue at this.

“Deplorable.” Her face is a mask of indifference but she still refused to look into his eyes ever since the... well, the harassment. He was glad there was no overly awkward atmosphere as the girl somehow still responding quite impressively, but he could not accept this. He needed her to look into his eyes. He needed that challenging and freshly thrilling feeling.

He had to do something. Anything.

“Why so curious? Falling for me already?” He winked as he grabbed her small face carefully in his hand and lining their eyes in comfortable distance as he mocked her. Hard enough to restrict her movement. His voice full of mirth and playfulness, conveying implicitly that he would not pull the previous stunt anytime soon.

He knew she understood. He recognized the hesitant yet calculative gesture. The slight tremble of her lips told him she’s not comfortable. But he got what he wanted. The well-practiced heated glare burned his eyes away. The way fire lit up her eyes he knew he had regained some of her fragile trust back. “For pretentious ert like you? Probably never.”

Probably? He felt something swelling inside him at the probability of other possibilities he had yet to acknowledge.

“Probably huh?” He voiced his mind with his infamous smirk plastered all over his face. The smirk he was sure she was dying to get rid from his face.

”Don’t even start.” She walked past him. Her hip swayed pronouncing the damned shapely legs in white spandex, up to the barely covered thighs, and he found his eyes lingering on her exposed back, only curtained to minimum by sheer dark wavy strands. Dirty, not so innocent, ideas crossed his mind.

Cho Kyuhyun titled her head gracefully and looked at him arrogantly. Completely unaware of the first time the dormant wolf stirred from his long sleep, but far from completely awake.

One eyebrow raised in question in that naturally beautiful face. Red lips curved into snarky, tantalizing smile. Something he found surprising, yet pleasant, coming from a mediocre delivery girl. But she has been everything but bland since the first time they met.

So? Not going to show my duty, Shim Changmin-sshi?”

.

.

.

Perilous woman indeed.


The calming ambience of the wooden café was up to her personal standard. The girl liked it. Nothing soothed her like a good atmosphere, great music, and tasty meals. The girl with light shades of caramel tresses inspected her well-manicured nails carefully as she listened to the background music.

Apparently, she had the attention span of a five year old kid or waiting just wasn’t her thing. So the girl checked her yellow pumps lazily, crossing her legs under the table. Checking her appearance a little on a reflection from the glass across the table. A double-buttoned green coat, reminded her of grass on spring, with dark-green inner shirt hiding her curves from wandering eyes. Black tights and scarf played it roles well in balancing the loose coat. She looked presentable yet not too flashy. She loved it.

Despite the fine ‘girly’ clothing, the Law student was an adrenaline-junkie with impossible ability at risk-management and somehow managed to keep her ‘prim and proper’ persona intact for years. An epitome the society finds it hard to resolve. She could care less of what society think. She just wanted the person she was about to meet had the best impression of her.

The person she was about to meet had proved himself to be an interesting individual. A challenge for her scheming-wired brain. A woman like her loves adventures, a challenge. Something that makes her purrs in delight which also includes her love for scheming. As long as it’s beneficial for her.

She is extremely good at taking risk and that somehow encourages her scheming nature to the point of no return. That’s who she is. A risk-taker to the depth of her trabecular bone.

Because of that irrefutable love for risk and scheming, there she was, sitting in a secluded area of a cafe, waiting for a specific person to satisfy her many of her intelligence interests and her curious, meddling tendency when it’s concerning a certain brunette. She needed an ally. A powerful one that could work hand-to-hand as an equal partner. That’s why she needed this alliance. An alliance forged for a girl with serious interpersonal problem that refused to admit that she needed this, that’s why she had to do this. Meddling with someone’s affair.

She had contacted him via his number yesterday. Something she stole from her infamous older sister’s phone. At least she was useful for something.

She just hoped the other party noticed the color of her Blair Waldorf worthy coat she had mentioned in the text as her insignia.

She took a sip of her caramel macchiato while taking a side glance at her untouched cinnamon croissant. Little things she learnt to love because of her little quirky partner. Feigning ignorance at the newcomer’s presence in front of her. The screeched sound of chair being moved reached her ears.

"Krystal Jung."

The voice was heavy and melodious. Her lashes curtained her view of her soon-to-be ally but she knew what finery of a man would meet her vision.

"Choi Minho." She replied with a smile.

“Sorry for my tardiness. Duty calls.” The boy extended his hand in polite-gesture; she took it right away and inclined him to sit comfortably.

“It’s ok. I know you’re busy.”

“It’s still improper to make a lady wait.” The smile did not reach his eye. Formality.

His face stayed guarded as a waiter gave him the menu. As he ordered his drink, Krystal Jung observed the boy carefully. He let his hair tousled, face angular and fairly handsome. Just as expected of a boy growing up in high-end society. He wore simple crew neck sweater over a maroon t-shirt. Washed out jeans and sneakers. He seemed so comfortable in casual and simple clothes, parading it in aloof manner. It reminded her so much of KUBS’ Ice-queen.

“So, what does the famous Krystal Jung possibly have anything to do with me, a mere peasant?” He started straight to the point with hidden smirk in his words. Blood pumped within her veins. She was entertained.

This is fun.

“You? A mere peasant? Then I am an innocent bystander, Choi Minho.” Krystal Jung was everything but innocent bystander. The dark haired boy eyes tingled with mischief at her response.

“Indeed. So, what’s on the plate?” Is it delectable enough for my taste?

She leaned in on the table. Oh, she knew she had what he wanted. “Does caramel macchiato ring a bell in your mind?”

The youngest of Jung knew that there is only person on earth that probably loves caramel macchiato more than her own life, and fortunately for her the tanned boy also shared the knowledge.

His dark pools of eyes widened a fraction. He recognized her hint and got his conclusion fast. “She is with you.”

It was very much a statement. She liked the fact that the boy was clever. She flicked her hair over her shoulder and leaned back to her chair as the waiter brought his order.

The boy ordered a strong kind of black coffee with mint (she did not know how in the hell black coffee and mint are a package) and small portion Italian pizza, designed as a company for small talk which made her eyes glistened with envy. Years of healthy diet dictated her choice of foods. She just wished she could stomach something as strong as that coffee and as unhealthy as pizza someday.

He smiled his gratitude at the man. As the waiter left (charmed he was) his likeable, easy-going composure blanched. Carefully his nimble fingers wrapped around the ornamented cup and took a slow, heavy sip. As if he was about to get choked if he gulped down the cup.

His dark bottomless pits of eyes never left her. She smiled cheerily to lighten the mood. He complied by chuckling. His eyes betrayed the well-executed smile tho.

“You are the one who has been covering her tracks right, Krystal Jung.” She could see realization dawned on the younger boy’s expression. As if her only presence almost answered all his questions. Almost.

“Krystal is fine.” She put her chin on her palm. He raised his eyebrow playfully.

She liked the boy already. “It’s rich coming from a boy who spies and fakes identities in daily basis.”

“It’s entertaining while it lasts.” No choice. He smiled at his bite of focaccia. Maybe he found her words as compliment.

“I understand. I do find pleasure in this kind of life.” She let out a small sigh. “She is stubborn friend you know.”

His dimples showed up and she had to press the urge to touch it. Playfully, he rolled his eyeballs in lazy gesture. He agreed with her machination. Choi Minho knew that Cho Kyuhyun is a thick-skulled, hard-headed empress. “Understatement. So a best friend?”

Finally someone that could relate that Cho Kyuhyun is one social-mess who couldn’t have a normal, common friend.

 “Yes and flat-mate.”

“Somehow I am not surprised. Why would you want to meet me?” That was new. Every single living being in KUBS was not expecting them to be a flat-mate and somehow the young Choi she had just acquainted for minutes could draw the idea as acceptable. He was interesting.

Before nerve wrecking on the edge kind of feeling made her do something utterly stupid. She dropped the bomb.

 “She misses you very much, you know? Just too prideful to admit that.” You have to meet her.

A hanged silence ensued. If the small tapping of his finger against the table indicated anything, the young queen-bee might assume it was anxiety.

“Does she know?” He gestured with his hand about their meeting. Krystal understood much, shaking her head in resignation.

“No, she doesn’t know I am meeting you.” She elaborated. “But I know this is for the best.”

His shoulder tensed at the sudden change of conversation. Fortunately for her, unlike the brunette of a woman, the boy wasn’t dense. Not even close. “What’s the problem?”

“Things... cannot stay like this any longer.” She bit her lips hard under the pressure of the stress she had been having this past week. Eyes looking to her brown shades of caramel of a drink.

“It’s getting harder to hide her. I know you are doing your best on the other side Minho, so am I.” Trying to suppress the sudden Goosebumps on her arms as she remembered the call and the breakdown, she hugged herself. “Still, it scares me.” She noticed his back stiffened. Unconsciously leaning closer as he knew where this conversation was directed.

A secret, a grand-scheme.

Her tone lowered as she sent the boy her coldest, serious gaze. “He tried to contact her and he succeeded.”

She saw how his expression actually morphed from dead-serious, to contained surprise, and to burning handsome rage. It was fascinating but... it unsettled her. Feeling the wave of sudden nervousness, she tried reaching to envelope his large hand in hers in the form of comforting gesture.

Choi Minho might have been well-known for his easy-going, laid-back attitude. Yet his goody two-shoes was only for show. This very second, she could see the real cold, ruthless beast of a man underneath the lovely demeanor. It sent chills of fear and excitement down her spine. Fear of what might happen in the future and excitement for undull adventures she had the chance to encounter in the future.

“Tell me more.”

She was more than happy to comply with his request. Cho Kyuhyun had been running away for too long. She’s willing to become the bridge for this cracked land of deserted hearts.

.

.

.

.

After all in the parable, the prodigal son ended up coming back to the hearth's embrace.


Twenty four hours after the ‘not so innocent’ encounter, Shim Changmin and his newly acquired maid had silently agreed on the status quo of their relationship. Both of them had decided to forget what ever happened back then. The previous day had never happened at all.

No words said, no silent signal sent. They were back on being recalcitrant to each other. Somehow their living arrangement just edgy and rocky as it had been expected from the beginning and Shim Changmin, playboy extraordnaire, realized that having the hot headed, sharp-witted caramel haired woman partially taking residence in his apartment just making his moment of sarcasm sparring unlimited.

Today was one of those moments when the heir of Shim did not know how he ended up having this conversation on his last day of ‘small break’ with his maid servant. His one and only maid with cheeky attitude and sharp remarks. She induced momentarily manner lost in him with her quirk. Fortunately it went both way as the maid servant herself let went awry without restrain when her temper flare at the chaebol.

"Servitude? Seriously? We are not living in 18th century Shim Changmin."

He dropped his tab and assessed his maid, silently observing with blank face. She swoop the floor rather diligently for unwilling participant and what the hell with the sudden blab?

He did not answer and she wasn’t pressing further. So they fell into weird quietness. He thought she was just asking rhetorical question to herself or something so he just let it drop. Apparently she wasn’t over, yet.

"What about total obedience? Having some power-issue, aren't you?"

Really this girl. She was good at egging him.

This time he just put his reading material on the desk, attention focused on nonchalant maid wiping one of his white ceramics.

"Why are you always so distracted?" He raised one of his crooked eyebrows; slight hint of smiles reached his eyes. She might be diligent and perfectionist in her work but she was rather obstinate on not having proper interaction with her employer. Or just like being difficult in general.

She ignored him. Oh she is really. Gaining his attention then pretending he doesn’t exist.

“Not going to answer aren’t you?” She stopped midways. The way her skin color almost mixed naturally with the breakable ornament slightly made him uneasy. She needed to get more exposed to the sun or have really, really healthy diet.

He quipped his annoying smirk and Cho Kyuhyun in her glorious maid outfit scoffed.

"Distraction. My saving graces that one."

He raised his eyebrows. Her guarded expression was making him felt giddy.

"It keeps me sane. It helps me cope, considering the length of time I've been doing this job.[1]" He rolled his eyes. It had just been three days and she had already contemplating over her past decision (even if the decision was forced onto her). Well, he had his fair share of contemplating over her being a closet temptress since the first day. Good thing he was pretty used to women so he somehow managed not to jump straight at her every time she swayed her hips in that sinful maid outfit.

"And now you are a poet? The last time I checked you are studying and working in the field of business."

This mind game and banter actually excites him. He felt his heart let out a delightful glee as her eyes burned with ire and annoyance. "And I believe a conglomerate like you have something more important than stalking one of your maid."

This woman and her witty argument. “Any conglomerate in their right mind will dig his maid’s background for making sure the said maid won’t stab him in his sleep, safety reason.”

She had that look on her face. Again.

Oh this cunning woman. “I’m not giving, you, ideas here.”

“Can you just disappear and do whatever work you suppose to do and give me a happier working environment?” Really now? Being subtle is just not enough, is it?

Trying to be happier is as futile as trying to be taller, Ma-i-do.

She restrained herself at the mouth watering temptation to flatten his head with white vase in her hand. He chortled at the conflicted epresion she was making and decided that he was hungry and he remembered checking his refrigerator last night and it was empty, aside for several cans of beer and bottles of vodka and mineral waters. The Shim stretched his feet and strode lazily to stubborn ex-delivery girl.

“I am taller than most girls. So my ‘happier’ standard should be higher... than this.” Oh well, that one was good, valid argument.

“Yes working for me is the happiest thing for most girls so it fits your higher than average ‘happier’ standard.” Her brown curls bounced off her shoulder as she placed the ceramics back to its previous stand.

She scowled. “It doesn’t make sense.”

“It does.” He stopped in front of her and zoomed his black credit card right in front of her eyes.

It was titillating how she failed to suppress her surprised reaction. The way she almost stumbled back in confusion with her Mary Jane shoes and that cute vulnerable expression that appeared as fast as it disappeared. Where did she learn to be so damned obliviously attractive again?

Her pretty brown eyes focused on the card as recognition flashed. “American Express Centurion Card? For real?”

“No it’s fake. Buy me some groceries and cook me something good.” He tossed the card to her and she failingly tried to catch it with grace. She carefully screened the exquisite black card in her hand as she kept sending his back conspicuous disbelieving glare.

“Hey Shim Changmin-sshi, isn’t it a bit careless trusting me with this? You hardly know me for more than... what? Four days?” she twisted the card in her fingers.

He stopped his walk and threw her his absolute confident smirk and he knew he ticked her in the wrong way. “One thing I know from our word-match is you are prideful woman. You wouldn’t do that.”

The woman who slapped him for her dignity and refused to sleep with him is not some lowly money scavenging . She is more that. An unique enigma he had yet managed to solve.

Would I?”

Bluff. The owner of Shim Industry scoffed internally. He flashed her that hateful lopsided grin. She grunted in displeasure.

Fine!” Just don’t blame me when your bill inflated.”

She removed her apron as she stomped to her designated room. It seemed she was going to change out of her maid outfit and buy him some quality foods. Having a moment of peace outside without the humiliating dress. No, he couldn’t let that happen.

“Hey, wear your Maid costume when you’re grocery shopping.” He added casually as he opened his previously abandoned tab.

He heard her footsteps halted. “I am not bloody obeying that one, git.”

And she slammed her door.

He let out a satisfied laugh. Not realizing that in his room, his phone was vibrating with unexpected caller id blaring on the screen;

Stupid Dolphin.


Flash and swoon little es, it seems our favorite miss JS is back in town and guess who is in tow? A world-class jerk that stormed the film industry with his talent and suddenly disappeared on his own birthday two years ago. Yes, our favorite producer with sleazy voice is back and very much dripping with pheromones and -appeal. Does he believe that his accent gives him a license to schmooze us, women? Well, it seems JS isn’t complaining with his quirk and y voice. Want a solid prove? They have been having romantic fine dining at Lotte Hotel with their share of spirits mixed with Cave des Grands Vins standing side to side with their le plat du jour. I can't wait to see Mr Casanova's reaction. Boom?

 

Spotted. The youngest Choi boy entering a classical café with his counterpart from The Jung. What ’s more interesting than busting hormonal youngsters involved in secret rendezvous? What kind of conversation spilled over brewed coffee and focaccia? I hope it isn’t bitter.

What is this? Our Casanova has gone MIA from local clubs he frequents. Even his ‘friends’ don’t know where he spends his free time these days. We have to admit we miss his y smirk. Has the playboy finally seen enlightment and walked the path of celibacy? We know that isn't the case. Wind says that he has new very, very enchanting housekeeper under his billion-yen apartment roof. We might want our portion of Bodacious Broccoli Salad to finish our kind of Devious Maid series.

Enjoy while the show lasts, minions.


"Build it up now waiting for the drop is the wonder.

Oh, what a sound, raining down all around.

You're a beautiful sight. "

- Soundwave, R3HAB & Trevor Guthrie


(a/n: Sorry for the short update. Do not forgive me for vanishing from the face of earth. reality has been crashing down and I have no time to write, sketch, and do whatever I like yet somehow I managed to end up in a dance music festival and you know the rest. A horrible hangover. Good grief. Oh well but holiday is coming so I tried to give this a try. Thank you for the sweet comments lovely readers I know I have been a total and you guys somehow still read this. I really appreciate it.)

(Krystal Jung’s appearance with no yellow eye-shadow, combined with Blair’s fashion

 

Revised 11.13.15)