FOURTEEN

When The Fever Starts

                I walked down to the kitchen on the first floor of the hotel and found all the guys raiding the fridges, tossing everything their hands touched onto the counter in the middle of the kitchen. Chanyeol glanced up with an apple in his mouth and almost choked when he saw me walk in. He covered his mouth and started coughing.

                “Hi Nas.” He said with a grin. I glared at him, hating the nickname.

                Baekhyun burst out laughing and tried covering it up with a fake cough. I grabbed the nearest fruit, an orange, and threw it at him. He ducked and it ended up hitting D.O in the back of the head. I gasped and covered my mouth in shock.

                D.O turned around and looked at me with a not-so-amused expression. “Really?” he asked in a flat tone. I shook my head, slowly lowering my hands.

                “That wasn’t meant to hit you.” I said in a hushed voice.

                He reached over and took the covering off one of the cakes they had found. I followed his movements with my eyes, confused. “What are you doing?”

                “Getting a slice of cake.” He responded, slowly pulling out a slice and placing it on a napkin. He wiped off some of the icing with his finger and stuffed it in his mouth. “It’s really good.”

                “Oh yeah?” I asked, taking a step away from him. “I bet so.”

                “You want some?” he asked, but before I even had time to answer, he’d already grabbed my arm, pulled me closer to him and smashed the slice of cake into my face. I let out a horrified scream and tried to wipe it off, but the icing just got smeared across my hands. I turned around to look at D.O who was too busy laughing to notice me. So I did what anyone would do: smudged the icing on my hands onto his face.

                “Yah!” he yelled, grabbing me around the waist and pulling me closer. He grabbed a glass of milk that Kai had just poured and dumped it over my head. I ducked underneath him and grabbed the whole jug of milk. I turned to look at him, my hand resting on the cap.

                “Do it, I dare you.” He said with a smirk. I uncapped the jug and emptied the whole thing over D.O’s head and he stood there and took it like a champ. Then, he grabbed the rest of the cake. I dove forward and smashed my hands into it, grabbing handfuls of cake and glaring at him.

                We crashed into each other, smudging the cake like we were both about six years old at some insane version of a birthday party. The other guys watched in astonishment as we wrestled each other to the ground. D.O pinned me down and smashed the rest of the cake on my head.

                “Ha! Take that!” he yelled, pointing at me then throwing his hands up in victory, jumping to his feet. Then he turned around and made eye contact with Luhan, who had just come downstairs and was currently standing in the doorway. He kind of looked shocked.

                “How much of that did you see?” D.O asked after a silent beat of awkwardness.

                “How much do you think I saw?” Luhan asked, trying to fight back the urge to laugh. “I can’t tell who’s more immature, you or Nas?”

                “Yah!” I yelled, sitting up and pointing at him. “Don’t call me that.”

                “Oh, should I call you immature instead?” he asked playfully, walking over and helping me to my feet. He reached out and grabbed a napkin and began wiping my face off.

                “I can do it myself.” I grumbled, taking the napkin and wiping at my cheeks. Luhan smiled and handed D.O a napkin.

                “I’m not doing it for you.” He said with a smirk. D.O shot him a look and snatched the napkin out of his hands.

                “Ha. Ha.” He said as he wiped at his face too. That’s when the others burst out laughing.

                “I never thought I’d watch you guys actually fight with food.” Suho said, doubling over and grabbing his stomach as he continued to laugh. “That was insane.”

                “Can you do that again?” Sehun asked, wiping the tears out of his eyes.

                “Sure.” I said, shoving the napkin into his face. He spluttered as he smacked it away.

                Once everyone had settled down and D.O and I were clean, we cleaned up the rest of the kitchen and started making breakfast. The electricity and gas didn’t work, but Luhan found a bunch of matches in one of the drawers so we made our own version of a campfire on the stove with them.

                We made omelets for everyone since most of the food had gone bad by now.

                Once we were full, we decided that we should scout around for a grocery store and get more supplies.

                We split up, leaving the maknaes back at the hotel to guard our space. They didn’t like that idea, but after locking them in, they didn’t have much of a choice.

                D.O, Luhan and I went west while Suho, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol went east.

                “Next time,” D.O called out as we climbed a hill. “Let’s pick a place closer to a grocery store.”

                Once we got to the top of the hill, we stood there for a second in awe. From where we stood, we could almost see the whole layout of the small neighborhood we were in.

                “Wow.” I said, breathless from the beauty this place presented. I could imagine families living here, owning businesses and going to the park just down the road with their kids.

                Where were they now?

                We found a grocery store a few minutes later since we could view everything from on the hill, so stacked up on as much stuff as we could get and brought it back to the hotel.

                “They’re not back yet?” I asked, turning to Kai once I noticed that Suho, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun weren’t there yet. Kai shook his head.

                “They’ll be back soon.” Luhan said, glancing out the window. “They might have found another grocery store we didn’t notice or something.” Then he fell silent and when I glanced at him, I noticed that he’d tensed up.

                “What is it?” I asked, walking over to look out the window. I saw what had made him so tense.

                There were zombies walking passed us and in the direction that the guys had gone. East.

                Luhan and I shared a look before turning to look at the others.

                “What?” Sehun asked, giving us a confused look.

                “Get the guns.” I whispered, covering up the window and gesturing for Luhan to do the same. Sehun and Kai ran upstairs and came back down, tossing us each a gun. We had to push the furniture from the back door so we could sneak around the zombies and run to find the others.

                We made it to the place that we had split up earlier and started searching from there.

                There was no sign of the guys on the main road, so we all went in separate directions, deciding to spread out the search. I ran through an alley and came out onto a different road. Since I wasn’t familiar with the area, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to get back to the hotel, but I knew if we never found the three guys; there was a possibility that they wouldn’t either. I took off running to the right, wanting to be quiet but not exactly succeeding at that. There was no sign of the zombies we had seen, but I didn’t want to take any chances. Desperately, I started screaming out their names, turning around in circles and scanning every corner that I could see. It was getting dark outside, and with no electricity, the street lights weren’t coming on. I continued running without stopping, yelling out their names and searching. But no luck.

                That’s when I heard someone calling out my name. I turned around and stood still for a second, waiting to hear it again.

                “Nas!” it was Chanyeol. A relieved sob escaped my mouth as I took off running in the direction of his voice. I found him crouched behind a flipped over car. Without thinking, I dove down and hugged him tightly.

                “You’re okay.” I said breathlessly. Then I pulled away to look at him. “Suho? Baek?”

                Chanyeol shook his head. “I-I don’t know, we split up to search faster for that grocery store.”

                “We found it. Which way did they go?” I demanded, squeezing his arms as I started glancing around, hoping for a glimpse of any of the guys.

                That’s when we heard the first gunshots. The zombies had found someone.

                We both jumped up, taking off in the direction that the shots had been heard. When we got there, we found Sehun being surrounded by at least ten or more zombies. No matter how many times he shot one, another just kept coming towards him.

                “Anytime now!” he yelled out, catching sight of us. Chanyeol picked up a medal rod that had broken off something and used it to beat one of the zombies in the head. I used the gun to shoot the others. Once we had taken them all out, we took off in another direction just in case the sound had started to attract more. We ducked behind a car to catch our breath.

                “I saw Suho-hyung getting cornered.” Sehun said with a groan. “But then the zombies started coming towards me so I couldn’t do anything.”

                “It’s okay, he’ll be okay.” I said quickly.

                But we all knew there was no guarantee that I was right.

               

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

longer chapter for the win woot woot~~

haha so that little food fight was interesting XD

oooooh man, what's going to happen to Suho? and where's Bacon?!

well stay tuned my friends, stay tuned ^^ haha ok i probably shouldn't have eaten that ice cream, now i'm all hyper and stuff!

oh and i'm sorry this is kind of a late update! sunday's are busy days for me, so i may not be able to update until late at night for now on.

but i don't have school tomorrow ^^ so i may be able to update a couple times if we don't have too much planned.

i don't but my parents may have another idea. we're a spontaneous family...

oh! and my sister gets back into town tomorrow so we might hang out...if she's not too tired...she might be, i dunno with her sometimes. you know what my parents said? since they might move back to the east coast this summer, and i might stay on the west, they told me i should move in with my sister...

i mean, i love her and all, but we can't be around each for longer than a few hours until we are just like "no, i'm done  with your face. go somewhere different." i can't imagine if we lived together...that'd be interesting!

well a long commentary to go with a long-ish chapter, huh? :D

i'll just stop here~~

well, anyway,

enjoy :)

(i keep putting "anjoy" instead of "enjoy" and have to go back and edit it -_-)