A New Life

Farther Than Deserts

 

A little boy with flaming red hair traipsed around the house. He was almost sickeningly thin but his cherubic cheeks spoke against possible starvation. He paused in his meandering to gaze longingly outside at the other village children who were playing. His little brow knitted together, troubled by his exclusion.
He, like every other person, knew the legends of the monsters who lived in the rolling hills just beyond the village. There were varying examples of the heinous crimes they committed, such as abducting small children from their homes, but one description remained firm throughout all the retellings: they had red hair.
It was no secret that he was left to play by himself, the nearly constant cries of “monster!” reminding him of his difference in appearance.
His mother had told him he had nothing to be ashamed of, that his hair was ‘beautiful’ and ‘unique’, but the young boy didn’t want to stand out anymore; he wanted to be included.

~

Taemin was startled awake by the jostling of the wooden cart, hitting his bony shoulder on the walls as the driver made an especially sharp turn. He winced, shying away in case of further injury.
Drawing his legs up to his chest and wrapping his arms around them, he scanned his surroundings. The space he was in was barely long enough to fit his legs when they were outstretched and his fingertips grazed the sanded wood of the doors on either side. All he could hear was the muted conversation of what he presumed were the government officials.
He internally cowered, remembering the evil he found while looking into the official’s eyes back in his village.
He wondered errantly how far he was from his home and if the king would act kindly towards a freak like him.
You’re not a freak, he reminded himself.
But everyone told you you’re a monster.
Not mama. She said I was unique.
Unique is just another way of saying ‘you’re too different.’
He sighed, exhausted by the arguments he had fought within himself for as long as he could remember. It always ended with him feeling worse. He lowered his head, hiding his face in his arms. He wished it would all go away.
“Out! Out!” a hairy official barked at Taemin, who was curled up in a corner of the cart.
Taemin blinked blearily, adjusting to the daylight streaming in through the open door. Before he knew what was happening, the man seized his arm and pulled him outside. Taemin stumbled, trying to keep up with the quick pace as they made their way to the castle. He was soon deposited in the foyer, left to the mercy of the guards.

~

Minho looked up as his office door slammed shut and a page came scurrying towards his desk, bowing hastily.
“Your majesty,” he began. “They have returned.”
Minho nodded, lazily waving him away and turning back to his work.
“Sir,” the page continued. “They’ve brought something unusual as well: a boy with red hair!”
The king’s interest was peaked at the mention of red hair. “Bring him to me,” he ordered. “Bring him here at once.”
The page nodded hurriedly, letting the office door slam shut once again as he went to fulfill his orders.
Minho ran both hands through his hair, letting the rich mahogany locks fall back around his face. He had always had a fascination for things which were different, having been surrounded by the idea of normalcy all his life.
The door banged open once again, startling the king from his thoughts. The same page as before deposited a boy at his feet, who promptly crumbled on the floor, before departing the room.
Minho took a step forward, his boots clicking softly against the wooden floors. Once he was just in front of the boy he knelt down, quietly observing him.
His skin was white as the moon, almost luminescent, clinging to his thin little frame, more bones than anything. The boy looked up from his position on the floor, his bright blue eyes piercing and his hair fiery - flaming one could say. They suited him, Minho noted, allowing himself to be scrutinized in the same manner.
“What are you called,” he asked aloud, his voice low so as not to startle the newcomer.
The boy poked his tongue out, running it along his cracked lips before speaking. “They call me Taemin. What’s your name?”
Minho sat back on his heels in bemusement at Taemin’s bold words, a little smile forming. It had been a while since anyone had talked to him as an equal. “My name is Minho, and I’m guessing you’ve never been to the capital before?”
Taemin shook his head, his lips and swallowing dryly.
“I’m also going to assume that you would like something to drink?”
Taemin nodded enthusiastically, life immediately appearing in his eyes.
Minho chuckled, offering a hand to help the other boy to his feet. “I’ll have some of my staff make up a bedroom for you; they will have some water there.”

~


As if on queue, a servant knocked on the door, cautiously peeking around the corner before stepping inside the room, bowing at the waist. Straightening up, he addressed Minho, his feline eyes blinking rapidly. “I can take our guest to his room now.” He caught Taemin’s eye, smiling a greeting.
Taemin smiled back, admiring the many pieces of jewellery adorning his ears and the way his hair flopped into his eyes as he listened to Minho’s instructions. He wasn’t handsome like Minho, but he had a certain sort of beauty which called for attention.
“Well, that’s settled then,” Minho said, clapping his hands together.
Taemin looked up at the brunette, listening attentively.
“Kibum will take you to your room. You will bathe and dress, and afterwards he will give you a tour of the grounds. Supper is at five o’clock in dining hall and I expect you to be there.” He turned his attention to the servant again. “You will be his personal servant during his stay.”
Kibum nodded, pride evident in the way he held his head. “Yes, Your Majesty,” he bowed. “Come along,” he gestured to Taemin, leading him out of the room.
Taemin hurriedly bowed to Minho on the way out before tripping after Kibum and into his new life.

 


 

hi there!

ohhh an update ~

I think I need a gold star or something xD

do you like my poster? I'm so happy with the way it turned out ^^

okay, so things have progressed a bit and we have an introduction to a few things: Minho, the relationship between Taemin and MInho, and the relationship between Taemin and Kibum. We also gained a bit of background into the big deal with Taemin having red hair.

Will I add any more SHINee members? I have no idea

however, there is a lot more to come with all of these things

another thing I'd like for everyone to remember is that they are in the middle east at a time when things were still fairly tense re difference in anything really, it's kind of a huge deal that Minho merely has a fascination for differences rather than a hobby for killing them.

just some food for thought :)

please do subscribe and comment

tell me your ideas! predict things! offer suggestions! idk be creative xD

and thank you so much for taking the time to read my little piece of word crap<3