Where Houses Stand

Farther Than Deserts

The sun beat down, hot against Taemin’s back. He wiped the perspiration from his brow and pulled his clothes away from his body, hoping in vain for a breeze that wouldn’t come. He knelt down, bare knees and feet sinking into the soil with the shift in weight.

Using his little finger, he dug a hole in the earth, just large enough to plant a seed. Glancing around himself, he checked for any curious onlookers; finding nothing, he reached into his tunic pocket and pulled out a leather satchel. He pried it open with nimble fingers, more than capable of performing delicate work, thanks to his many years of working on the farm.
A few apple seeds settled into his tiny palm, fanning out into the shape of a flower before he shook them into the ground. He had saved the seeds from a slice of the fruit shared with him by a traveller who had been passing through his village.
Taemin had never seen another with fair hair, even lighter than his own auburn locks, which granted him stares wherever he went. That alone was enough for him to be drawn to the other; the offering of the strange fruit had simply been an added bonus.
He patted the dirt around his precious seeds, praying the resulting plant would grow up to be big and strong.
“Taemin!” a voice called from across the field. “Taemin, where are you?”
Said boy hopped up, brushing his clothes off. “I’m right here!” he called back, hurrying towards the voice. He skidded to a stop in front of a heavyset woman, bowing his head politely in greeting.
She adjusted her head covering, scrutinizing the dirty boy before her. “It’s nearly sundown,” she commented, gesturing to the darkening sky. “You were supposed to be here an hour ago to help with cleaning. The tax collectors are coming tomorrow and we need to make sure everything is ready.”
Taemin ducked his head. “Sorry mama,” he apologized, dragging his already dirty toe in the dust. “I lost track of time.”
The woman sighed, smiling patiently at her son. “I know, but you can’t be so forgetful,” she said not unkindly, ruffling his dusty hair.
He looked back up, blowing a strand of hair out of his face. “I’m not-”
“Where’s your turban?” she interrupted, pinching a long piece of cream linen between her fingers. “You can not, under any circumstances, forget this tomorrow. It will be absolutely crawling with government officials and they will do anything to get their hands on you.” She sighed, gazing at his unusual hair with a sort of tired fondness. “Do you understand?”
Taemin bobbed his head affirmatively, giving her a tight hug. “I understand.”
She returned the embrace, then stepped back, wrinkling her nose. “I would also appreciate it if you took a bath.”
“Okay!” He turned around and scurried outside with the washing basin to fill it with water.


~

It was late evening and Taemin was sitting in front of a fire, his hair shining a deep red and his skin glowing with youth. He was just thinking about pulling out his blanket and falling asleep when he heard his parents speaking in the other room.
“What do you mean we don’t have enough money?”
“We just don’t; too many mouths to feed.”
“How can you say that?” a female voice demanded angrily. “He’s just a boy!”
“He is fourteen years of age. When his sister was that age she was betrothed already and she helped out around the house; she wasn’t playing with plants and talking to strangers.”
“Boys are different, you know that.”
“He needs to find something to do or he needs to go.”
He saw his father stomp past where he was sitting, shooting a dirty look on the way.
Taemin was shocked at the hatred he saw there. Not wanting to worry his mother any further, he simply unrolled his blanket and lay down. Maybe it will be better in the morning.
He rolled onto his side, facing the fire. His eyes fluttered shut, the image of flames wood burning into his mind.


~

The next morning, Taemin awoke to the chaos that was his village. Stumbling to his feet, he went to stand in the doorway of his home.
Children squealed as they chased each other; adults hurried from one place to another, trying their best not to trip in their haste; dogs lazed around in what little shade was to be had; chickens squawked from their pens as if they knew they were to be sold; old people sat on steps and drank tea or smoked.
It was busy, but that’s what Taemin enjoyed. He loved being able to watch the children grow from babies to toddlers and the puppies turn to dogs. He loved observing life as it happened.
There was suddenly a great silence as all other sound stopped before becoming obliterated by the pounding of hooves against hard dirt. The tax collectors were here.
“Mama!” he called into his house. “They’re here!”
His mother appeared beside him, pushing him inside. “Don’t go outside,” she warned him, handing him the linen covering that was to go on his head. “And put this on.” She swiftly departed.
Taemin obediently wrapped the cloth around his hair, tucking any stray pieces underneath. He scanned the interior of his house, searching for something to do, when he found a clay cup lying on the floor.
He stooped to pick it up, examining the earthenware with curious eyes. It was then that he realized how thirsty he was.
Stepping out the back door, he went to the water pump, filling the cup with the clear liquid. Once his thirst was quenched, he filled the container again and trekked across the field to where his apple seeds were planted.
He knelt down, covering the dry soil until it was a dark brown in colour. “There you go,” he crooned to the growing plant. “Drink up; it might not rain for a while so you need as much as you can get.”
“Why’re you talking to the dirt?” a small voice asked, its owner casting a shadow across Taemin’s path. It was a girl, maybe ten years old, and she had dark hair, common for these parts.
Taemin glanced up, surprised by the newcomer. “I’m not talking to the dirt,” he answered. “There’s a plant in there.”
The girl studied him for a moment before seemingly deciding he wasn’t crazy. “My grandma talks to her plants sometimes,” she said, crouching beside him in the dust. “She says it helps them grow.”
The auburn haired boy nodded, surprised by her apparent interest. “Plants can be good friends if you let them,” he remarked, sitting back on his heels and wiping his brow.
His companion cocked her head to the side, pulling her hair out of her face. “You would be a lot cooler without that hat, you know.” She leaned forward, plucking the garment off of his head.
What followed was a beat of silence before a gasp.
“It’s okay,” Taemin rushed to explain, extending his hands in a symbol of peace.
She quickly backed away, dropping his turban like it was diseased. “You! Don’t touch me!” she cried, putting more distance between them. “You have red hair! You’re...you’re...a monster!” She spat on his feet for emphasis before running away to the main square.
Taemin chased after her, his turban all but forgotten. “I won’t hurt you!” he yelled, following her lead into the main square.
The girl ran to her mother, who was standing a little ways away from where the tax collectors were set up. “Mommy! Mommy!” she shrieked.
All activity stopped in the centre square when Taemin arrived, his hair gleaming brilliantly in the afternoon sun.
“Look at him!” the girl continued to scream. “He’s hideous!”
“What in the king’s name is going on,” one of the government officials roared, frightening the little girl into silence. Said official swiveled his head around, looking for the source of all the trouble, until his eyes landed upon Taemin.
Taemin took a step back, terrified, as the official strode towards him with a smirk plastered on his face. He let out a squeak as his back hit the wall.
“Well,” he said, his hand roughly cupping his chin. “What have we here?”
“Please, don’t hurt me,” Taemin stuttered.
“Hurt you?” the official echoed. “I have better things to do; but with hair like this.” He pulled a lock for emphasis. “I think you ought to come with me and pay a little visit to the king. I think he’ll be very interested to see what you’ve been hiding.”
He dropped his hand, turning around to face the rest of the crowd. “You!” he barked at one of the other officials. “Cart. Now.”
“Yes, sir.”
Taemin flattened himself against the wall, his chest heaving. The next thing he knew, he was on the floor of a closed cart, leaving everything he knew behind.
It’s all my fault, he told himself. This is all my fault.


hello to returning subscribers and welcome to any new readers

I hope this is clear enough of a backstory to get the rest of the story going

I will do my best to update regularly, but if I don't it's for one of two reasons:

I have exams and school and I'm really really busy

I don't think what I have written is good enough to be posted and I'm working on it

also, I have a tendency to visit hospitals on a regular basis so that's a possibility as well :3

so please, don't pester me too much for an update because sometimes it can't be helped

however, feel free to offer suggestions; more often than not I will use them ^^

but yeah, I' m really really REALLY excited about this story and I have so many ideas so I hope you all stay with me until the end

as always, all those who read and subscribe and comment are greatly appreciated

much love<3