Goner

Farther Than Deserts

 

“-lots of expensive artwork, too, and statues. It’s all been passed through the family, you see,” the one called Key rambled on, giving Taemin a history lesson in the process.

Taemin nodded politely, his head rapidly turning from left to right in an effort to see everything the castle had to offer. Combined with the amount of people hurrying about to fulfill their duties, his brain was almost in overdrive.

“Here it is,” his guide announced, throwing open the door to his bedroom.

Taemin cautiously stepped over the threshold, afraid his mere presence would disturb the décor; everything, from the heavy golden tapestries to the delicately arranged bouquets, looked as if breathing the wrong way would disturb it. He spun around in a circle, simply admiring the finery in which he was surrounded. “Wow,” he gasped, collapsing on the overly large bed occupying the room.

“I’ll draw you a bath,” Key snickered, striding into the adjoining bathroom. “You can come in when you’re ready.”

“Okay,” Taemin squeaked, rising to his feet on unsteady legs. His eyes widened once again as he noted the tiled expanse of the bathroom.

Key was leaning over a wide basin in the floor, pouring oils and herbs into the water. “It’s heated using servant-tended fires under the floors,” he explained upon seeing the newcomer’s questioning gaze. “I’ll be waiting outside the door if you need me. He shot Taemin a glimmer of a smile before retreating, closing the door behind him.

Taemin undressed and slid into the bad of hot water, breathing in the scent of assorted oils and herbs. “Ahh,” he breathed, and promptly sank in deeper.

~

Minho walked down the hallway of his castle, disregarding the acknowledgements of his servants as he passed. All he could think about was the frail looking boy who had showed up in his office earlier that afternoon. It puzzled him as to why his thoughts were taken up by him, considering he had seen exotics before; all the same, it was probably a good idea to check up on him. He paused outside of Taemin’s door, knocking lightly before letting himself in.

What greeted him, however, was not Taemin, but some sort of red-haired beauty.

He had been dressed in a sky blue robe adorned with gold, which complimented his light complexion. His hair was shining, woven with flowers, and his cheeks glowed a healthy rose colour.

“How’s everything coming?” he asked, fighting to keep his voice even.

Key gave Taemin’s cheek a final pat, stepping back to admire his handiwork. “I’d say we’re just about finished,” he chirped, spinning Taemin around to properly face the king.

Minho met Taemin’s sparkling blue eyes, and he knew then why he couldn’t forget about the latter. His eyes reflected radiance and warmth, rarities in this cold marble castle; it was something he wanted to protect from harm. He wanted to protect Taemin from harm.

~

Taemin was surprised when Minho grabbed his arm, pulling him out the door, calling a “You’re dismissed!” to Key before letting the door swing shut behind him. “You’re going to sit with me,” Minho told him, smiling kindly. “Have you ever been to a banquet before, Taemin?”

Taemin shook his head. “Never.”

“Then you’re going to enjoy this.” They entered the dining hall, Minho greeting the guests as they milled about, joining in conversation every so often.

Taemin simply stared, tuning out the conversation in favour of watching the other people. Everyone looked so fake, squished into dresses that were two sizes too small, and plastering on faux smiles, all for the sake of associating themselves with royalty. Absurd, Taemin thought, turning his attention back to Minho – who had disappeared.

Taemin started to panic, frantically searching for him, when a greasy looking man appeared in front of him.

“What have we here?” the man drawled, forcefully grabbing his chin.

Taemin recoiled, the stench of alcohol overpowering. “I’m fine, thank you,” he stammered, turning to walk away when he felt hands grabbing at his waist.

“Where do you think you’re going?” It was another man, clearly intoxicated. “I bet you’d have more fun with us,” he slurred, backing Taemin into a corner.

“No,” Taemin whimpered, now desperately looking for an escape.

“What is going on here,” a voice boomed.

Taemin looked up, intensely relieved to see Minho.

The latter sent a withering glare to the predators, who scattered, before going to Taemin.

Taemin stared back, still visibly shaken. He soon felt a hand taking his, leading him into the corridor, away from everyone. By the time they had stopped, tears had welled up in his eyes, the first since he’d been taken from his home, and spilled over. Arms hesitantly wrapped around his waist, reacting purely on instinct, pulling him close. Taemin sobbed, holding on to Minho like he’d never let go.

“Shh,” he heard as his hair was . “It’s okay.” This only served to make him cry harder, tears staining both of their clothing, but they were beyond caring.

After a time, the flow of tears slowed and he grew quiet, his exhaustion suddenly overpowering.

Minho scooped the tiny figure in his arms, carrying him to his own chambers.

The last thing Taemin felt as he drifted off was the rustling of silken sheets as he was tucked into bed and warm breath on his cheek as he was kissed good night.

 


 

not my best work at all

i had originally wanted a longer chapter but this needed an update so hopefully its satisfactory

comments are much loved, as is critisism ^^

thank you for reading<3