Proluge: Two lives, slowly losing its sense

Gallon of Sadness (HIATUS)

 

It makes no sense.

       Just a while ago, Luna was yelling at her workers, for being extremely slow with their tasks, and for being 'lazy'. They were being slow. Yes. But lazy? No. They were doing their best with their tasks, but in Luna's eyes, their best was not enough. It never was. Nothing was ever good enough for her.

     Anger was the only emotion she felt as she yelled at her workers.

     But this anger did not scare her workers. Not even one bit. Those who know nothing about these workers would be completely shocked with the fact that they were not scared; Luna seemed like a beast. But the truth is, there was no reason for these workers to be scared by their 'beastly' madam's anger . . . they were already used to it. For the eight years that they worked for her, she showed them nothing but anger, thus, they were immuned with this. In fact, it was a part of their work to get yelled at by her. At least, the salary she gives us is pretty big, they would tell theirselves.

    The only side of Luna's personality that they know is her scary bossy side. But on the second thought, they told theirselves, maybe this is the only side to her personality. According to them, Luna's heart is filled with anger. And they know that she have every reason to be full of anger. They are aware that she has only a few---if she even had any-----friends to give her the love she yearns for.

    They know Luna's life very well. From the basic information, up to her personal life

    These are the basic facts they know about her:

    Luna Park is a 28 year old woman who is in charge of handling the candy factory which her family owns. Her family owns a lot of factories, and she was in charge of the factory in Seoul. She graduated college with high grades. Her parents gave her the factory when she was only 20 years old. Despite her young age, they trusted in her abilities.

     And now, eight years later, she only proved her parents that they made the right choice. She proved that she really had the skills to be in charge of the factory.

     However, when it comes to her personal life, they only know one thing:  Luna grew up without much support and love from her parents. When she was still a kid, for some unknown reason, she hated going to playgrounds. She hated playing with kids. Instead, she enjoys going to their family factory, and is very eager to learn about it. The sad thing is, her parents was never there for her. Everything she learned in the factory, she learned by herself and by asking questions to those who work.

    They also know that the person who Luna considers to be her mother is her nanny.  Each time she gets an award at school, it was her nanny who would come with her on the recognition day. In almost every school activity, it was her nanny who comes with her simply because her parents are always busy, and do not have enough time for her.

    Her home life is sad, and according to many, is lacking when it comes to  love.

    It is no wonder that Luna acts like this. Cold. Unloving.

   But what they don't know is that, there is one person out there who could make Luna's face smile and make her heart be filled with too much happiness.

    It is him, Onew Lee.

    He was her best---and sad to say-----her only friend (with the exception of her nanny).

    He is a very happy and cheerful person. He is always optimistic about everything. Despite the fact that his life is full of hardships, he always finds a reason to smile . . . it is because, he believes that there in life, there is this thing called hope.

   He and Luna were exact opposites. He came from an extremely poor family, and she came from one of the richest family in Korea. He always finds a reason to smile and is always happy, while she, on the other hand, is always angry at everyone around her. He wants her to change, and to learn how to be happy and to smile . . . however, she doesn't want to. She believes that she has no reasons to be happy at all.

   "Don't I make you happy?" He would always ask her, with his dorky grin splattered on his face. She would simply smile back, "Yes. You make me happy." she would say.

   "Can you please start smiling, not only around me or your nanny, but also around everyone else? You know, it's getting kind of tiring to hear you yell at other people." he would later on ask her. And she, would simply ignore him. End of conversation.

   I can never be happy around other people, except for you and my 'mom', she thought.

  They didn't have a similarity. At all. All they have are differences . . . however, despite these differences, they somehow became friends. and they loved each other. But still, deep inside her heart, she hoped that they would someday find a similarity.

   All her life, she loved only two persons. Her nanny and him.

 

And it's exactly why it makes no sense at all.

   She loves him so much, and he is the only person who has the ability to make her smile . . . so why did his life had to be in such a huge risk? Did he have to leave her?

Just a while ago, she was yelling at her workers for being slow and lazy, with anger written all over her face.

   But the anger left her face as she received a phone call.

   "Hello? Yes. This is Luna Park." She answered her phone, while all her workers looking at her. "Yes, I am Onew Lee's friend. Why?"

   "Mr. Lee got involved in a car accident. He lost control of the car, and he hit a tree in the highway, and his car turned upside down. We will now bring him to Seoul District Hospital." The person on the other line said. Her body collapsed on the floor, and her workers started panicking. She felt so weak after hearing what the person had to say. She dropped her phone, without even hearing what else the other person had to say.

   "He was on his way to a candy factory, and in his car there were flowers and a card for you, Miss Luna. Hello? Are you still there?"

She grabbed her phone, stood up, and started walking away from the factory, much to her workers' confusion. She motioned her driver to the car, and the latter one hurriedly went inside it. "Do your work properly." She yelled one last time, trying to sound cold and angry. But deep inside, she wanted to cry. Badly.

   One of her workers opened the car's door for her. "Have a safe trip, madam." But the thing is, she actually wanted to be involved in an accident. So that she and Onew would finally have a similarity.

   "I wish  that both of us would be involved in an accident, and that we would both survive." She wished, as she sighed to herself" So that, even just for once, we could have one similarity." She then entered the car, while her worker stared at her weirdly.

   Who would ever wish for an accident? It was a terribly weird wish indeed.

 

Her terribly weird wish didn't come true. She arrived at the hospital safely.

      The hospital was just twenty minutes away from their factory. After twenty minutes of travel, she finally reached the place which could either make her heart jump in joy, or drown in a gallon of sadness. It depends on the situation, if Onew would survive or not.

    She sighed to herself. Still, she and Onew does not have any similarity.

    "I would give you a call when to pick me up. This might take a while." She said to her driver. The latter one simply nodded, then he went back inside the car.

    She started walking towards the nurse's station, "Is there an Onew Lee admitted to this hospital?" The nurse looked at a computer where all the records are kept,

   "Yes ma'am. He is now at the operation room. He received a lot of injuries at the accident. You may wait outside the operation room." The nurse said, smiling softly, but she did not return the smile.

    When someone smiles at you, try to smile back! It feels good, you know?  She suddenly heard Onew's voice. She looked around her, and realized that maybe, it was just her imagination.

    She walked away from the nurse. Please smile! 

    Wearing a faint and bitter smile on her face, she whispered, "Onew, I am smiling. I am smiling, even if I'm hurting. I am smiling, even if I regret what I did yesterday . . . " her eyes, filled with guilt, seemed to have tears in them, as she remembered everything that had happened the day before. She stopped the tears for she knows that Onew wouldn't want to see her cry, "I am smiling. And I want something in return . . . "

      " . . . Live on. For me. So that I could tell you exactly how I feel. If you live on, I'll think of it, as your birthday gift for me."

       Onew was one of the few reasons why, despite all the sadness she feels, she still manages to live on.

He gave her life meaning and sense . . . but with everything that is happening, she could feel her life, losing its meaning . . .

~ ~

One night before . . .

Her life lost its sense, on November 12. It was her birthday.

     Her father barely remembers her only child's birthday. In fact, he even has to be reminded for her birthday. There were only two people who always remembers her special day: Onew and her nanny, Victoria.

     Onew knows this, thus, he makes it a point to make Luna happy, on her special day.

      Ah . . . birthday . . . this word, it brings back so many memories.

     It was on her 14th  birthday, when he first managed to talk to her. It was a one-way conversation, Onew kept talking, and Luna, kept on ignoring him. They conversation they had, was anything but interesting. It was filled with awkward silence each time Onew tries hard to think of something else to say, and each time Onew would blurt out a joke so old , it had been passed down by many generations already.

    To put it simply, the first conversation they ever had, was plain boring and awkward . . . but it didn't really matter. For at the end of their conversation, Onew had given Luna a gift important to her heart.

   A piece of candy. She ate the candy, and the wrapper, she kept all these years.

   For it was a reminder of how and when their friendship started out.

   It started with a conversation, during her birthday.

   Ah . . . birthday . . . this word brings back so many memories. Each time he remembers this word, it brings him back to the day, he got to talk to Luna, and when their friendship started . . . it brings him back to the day, when he found a meaning in his life.

  It was her, who gave a meaning to his life. Her smiles, no matter how small or faint it is, adds color to his life. Her laugh, no matter how soft it sounds, serves as music to his ears.

  He knows what happiness was, before he even met her . . . but he didn't know what his life's meaning was, until he got to talk to her.

  She brought meaning to his life . . . but after what had happened, he could feel his life losing its sense and meaning.

  "Onew, you know I shouldn't fall in love! I want to follow my dad's footsteps, and for once, I want to make him proud. I'm willing to do anything, even if it means I have to marry someone else for our company."

   "So, are you saying, you'll marry a complete stranger for your company? That is completely --"

   "Completely what, Onew? Do you think it's stupid? Or crazy? Or dumb? Look, I don't care about your opinion. If you still want to be my friend, fall out of love with me. If you can't do that, it would be much better, for you to leave me alone.  here are other girls , who are more deserving of your love. Do not love me."

    "How can I do that, Luna?"

    "Think of it as a favor. Do not fall in love with me. I'll get married soon. I don't know when, or with whom. But I don't care."

    Staring at the birthday card and the boquet of flowers he prepared for Luna's birthday tomorrow, Onew could do nothing but to cry as he remembered what Luna had told him, If you still want to be my friend, fall out of love me. If you can't do that, it would be much better for you to leave me.

     More tears surfaced into his eyes. He can't help it. Everything just felt so anguish.

    He rarely cries. When he has problems, he would just smile. When his dad got paralyzed, he smiled and stayed strong for his mother and his younger brother, Lee Taemin. During the times, when his family was gradually losing their money in the bank, he smiled and decided to be a working student. When his mother told him that he can no longer study -- due to financial problems -- he smiled, and waited patiently for the time, when he and his brother could study once again.

   There are two reasons behind his smiles. The first one: He believes that one's smile could lessen all the pain that he feels. The second reason: Luna.

  She gave him reason to smile, despite all the problems and hardships he experiences, without her even knowing.

  But now, he doesn't know if he still has the strength to smile. His smiles wouldn't change Luna's mind, after all.

  His life found its meaning, when he met Luna and fell in love with her. All throughout their friendship, he just keeps on falling in love with her . . . but now that he knows he can't have her, and that Luna doesn't love him, his life's meaning and sense had been lost.

  I don't think I could fall out of love, Luna. But I'll try to. I would stay away from you, if that's the only way I could forget you. If i could, I might as well never show up, so that the pain I feel would lessen . . . but I can never do that. Because I promised you I would not leave you . . .

   He grabbed the card and the boquet, went to the bed, and lied down with the birthday gifts he had prepared. I would stay away from you, until I fall out of love . . . but if I can't do that, and if I remained in love with you, I might forget my promise to you.

    I might as well leave you, no matter how painful it is.

    He shut his eyes, removed the tears from his face, and dozed off to dreamland.

    I hope that even just in my dreams, I could have you. Even just in my dreams . . .

~ ~

It was her 28th birthday today.

   Her birthday, fourteen years ago, was the happiest one to date. It was the day, when she talked to the person who taught her what smiles, laugh and happiness is. Her heart, filled with sadness then, rejoiced for she had finally found her life's meaning. For she had already found her happiness.

   But now, she doesn't know if she could still feel happy. Not after what she did yesterday.

   "I love you, Luna . . ."  after fourteen years of friendship, he finally gathered the courage to confess  . . . but she rejected him. She let go of the love she feels, in exchange of what must be done.

    She must agree to the arranged marriage. For the company. For her dad. And for her.

    If she wouldn't agree to the marriage, her father would be disappointed in her. And she doesn't want that to happen. All her life, she had wanted to please him . . .

   But she never expected the cost of her father's happiness is her own.

   "Onew," She whispered softly to herself, "I don't want you to leave. I take back what I said. And Onew-ah . . . "

    "I love you, too."

    And she felt tears in her eyes, as she came to the realization that she might be a bit too late with her confession . . .

    Fourteen years ago, she felt happiness. Fourteen years ago, she found a friend. Fourteen years ago, her life found its meaning and its sense.

And now, she badly wants to return to that day . . . if only she could.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This wouldn't be in chronological order.. :)

Please review and subscribe!

Critiques/critcisms/compliments are very much appreciated!

Violent reactions are not allowed though. lol.

I hope you enjoyed it!

-Lei :D