Within Reach

Shiver

*IU's real name is Lee Ji Eun! for those who didn't know
*NS Yoon-G's real name is Kim Yoon Ji also

I know light is your mother
But darkness I fear
Sits inside of you silently
Just waiting to crawl
It's way back to the surface
Like an infected scar

---
Even after the incident I still saw him after that. I would cling to my barbies or tire swing until I felt his presence. He always watched from a distance, eyes steady on me, but never coming close. Even after I'd outgrown my tire swing and barbies he would still be there when i took out the trash or swept the back porch. A few times I'd try to close the distance, approach him even with slow sure steps, palm raised and up towards him as if I were to cup his muzzle. He would always melt away though back into the overgrowth. So i left him be.
I was never afraid of him, I could never be. even if he was big enough to yank be back into the woods and destroy me I knew he wouldn't hurt me. And I wanted him to know I wouldn't hurt him. I tried to speak his language of the body but we were worlds apart.
But it was as if he were waiting to, though I never knew what he waited for. Never getting any closer but never getting any more farther either. But he was always there, him watching me, and me watching him. For the next 9 years it became a habit. His and the rest of the wolves eerie presence through out the winter then there even more eerie absense during the summer which left the woods so seemingly empty as if it were lonely without them. It never dawned on me about the time. Only that they were wolves......just wolves.
---

I remember The first day I almost talked to Ji-eun was probably the hottest day of my life.....no literally. It was probably the hottest day of the summer. I sat behind the register at the music store slouched over reading a new novel I picked up at the library. The good thing about the music store was that there was a door seperating it from the library so anyone could easily cross into each store. The phantom of the opera's orchestra soundtrack softly played around the store, not enough to disturb anyone but just loud enough for it to be recognized. The music store was filled with CD's and old records alike. Modern record players and CD players which of course were out of style by now were sold here along with the newer mp3 players and Band shirts from last year according to your favorite band but at a much less outrageous price than what you would find at the mall. The store door was propped open even though that didn't provide much of a temperature change but the heat crept up slinking into the store and spilling in through the big picture windows in waves. I sat up straight and breathed in deeply as if I could soak up all of summer and it's heat to conserve in my body. As the hours went by crawling into the afternoon the sun bleached the darkwood shelves filled with endless CD's like their unheard lyrics floated around the store. It was one thing I loved most....when I was human.

I could hear pretty well when I was human so it actually wouldn't take wolf senses to hear the group of girls laughing together loud enough that I knew they didn't need my assistance so I kept reading as they jostled each other and talked about everything but music. I wasn't much interested in girls i probably would've never given them a glance or second thought until I smelled it. no not it. Her. I in a breath and looked up in time to see the heads of four girls bobbing just a bit above the shelves, then as they crossed the aisle I saw it. dark auburn hair messily swept up in a ponytail but it still flattered her. I knew immediately, it had to be her, it was her. I briefly caught sight of the high waisted denim shorts and blue tanktop she had on that looked like it had been washed quite a few times to have faded to a more lighter periwinkle that it was now. I quickly slouched over again so my hair fell over my face even though i jerked the book enough to cover my face as well. I pictured this happening in my head a million times but they never happened as carefully planned. I listened in as one of the girls called "Ji eun! over here!" she beckoned to her as she looked up and she went ove rnext to her. They were in the oldies section of the music store. "See I told you we'd find it!" Ji eun tilted her head with an amused look on her face. "Phantom of the opera? Since when did you become such a fan of opera?"
I didn't hear what she said next but Ji Eun broke away from the two as they slowly trailed over to one corner of the store where I hung paper cranes up on the ceiling . She hung back and I noticed the look in her eyes flicking from shelf to shelf. She didn't want to be here. She wanted to leave and escape. I stared for a bit then moved my eyes back down to the counter and got lost in my thoughts of what should I do if she even came near me. How could I hide? she wouldn't recognize my face but I had to believe she would notice my eyes. It was al so suffocating. I started to wish they would leave so I could breathe again. Then I heard a voice. "um, excuse me." I jerked slightly moving my sight up and lowered the book trying my best to not look like a creep. "I hope you don't mind me asking but, can I take your picture?" the girl that stood in front of me had dyed blonde hair, blonde to the point where it looked almost white. she had in blue contacts. Probably not perscription. Her skin pale and her eyes almost too big for her face and the contacts didn't help either. I just realized she was holding a small but fancy looking photographer's camera in her right hand. I knew what she was thinking. She wasn't wanting to take my photo because I might have looked drop dead gorgeous or anything but it was because of my eyes. They were an unusual color I knew that. Least it was better than the constant glances or outright staredowns.
I looked around quickly trying to conjure up an excuse and not finding one. Some people were very superstitious thinking that cameras had abilities to extract your soul or some mumbo jumbo like that but that seemed a bit much so I shrugged.
"Sorry, camera shy. You can take photos of the store if you'd like."
Before her face fully dropped the other friend pushed up against her playfully. Light brown hair and a smile radiating so much energy that I could've fallen unconscious.
"what are you up to Yoon ji? Flirting again? No one has time for that!" She teased. Before Yoon ji could respond she placed her Phantom of the opera CD down on the counter and slid it towards me. "Here dude I'll take this one."

"Tiffany!" Yoon ji hissed, her face flushing to a light pink. I scanned the CD. "Nine dollars and ninety nine cents." Her eyebrows furrowed. "For an old CD like that?" She shrugged and then handed me a ten dollar bill. "Keep the penny!" We didn't have a tip jar or anything like that so I just slid the penny off to the side and left it on the counter. I bagged the receipt and CD slowly casting a quick glance around for Ji eun thinking she might come over to see what her friends were up to taking so long. She was in the audiobooks section head tilted but back towards me. I handed the mini plastic bag to Tiffany who grinned at me then Yoon ji before making her way towards Ji eun with Yoon ji following and herded her out the door. Ji eun stayed back a bit tracing her finger over the spines of several CD cases while tiffany pushed out the entrance calling to the two to "Come on."
Yoon ji looked back at me I saw from my peripheral vision but my main focus was on Ji eun who turned and followed Yoon ji who frowned she frowned and ducked out the entrance.
Part of me wanted her to turn and look at me. See my eyes and realize who I was but she walked out the store ever realizing I was even there. I felt like I let an opportunity pass by but also that it wasn't the right time for it anyways. I wasnt sure if it was her or I that let each other slip past our fingers when we were both within reach.

---

Troublemaker

Aff_x_tion

12:57AM

1-9-13