Chapter - 1 - The Fight

Unsually Quiet

“Blah blah blah, whatever you say,” Baekhyun childishly closed his eyes, yelling & ran out of his room, with an awkwardly tall Chanyeol chasing him with something in his hand, well, a pink SNSD light stick.

This was a typical rare schedule-free day at EXO-K’s dorm. With somewhat the two big childkings of the dorm, messing & running around the dorm, bickering about the most immature things, which usually keeps the dorm alive.

“I’m going to break this lightstick of yours, if you aren’t gonna listen, Baekhyunnie”, Chanyeol pouted, still waving the lightstick at now-ignoring-him Baekhyun, whose gaze was fixed at the living room TV which was showing SNSD’s live in Japan. Baekhyun closed his ears & stuck out a tongue at Chanyeol, who was seriously sulking.

“Baek, why won’t you listen to me? I’m bored to death,” pouting and plomped down on the sofa next to Baekhyun, who was drooling over his idols.

The deep-in-slumber JongIn growled at the noises of his quarreling hyungs, “Can’t you guys please be quiet for one fraction of a day? I’m still at my growing age & I’m the dancer of God’s sake! I need my beauty sleep.” With that, he went back to his dreamland on the couch, stretching all his four limbs.

Unable to get Baekhyun’s attention, Chanyeol finally gave up and went to find someone else to annoy. He just decided to go online & monitor himself. Just as he typed Park Chanyeol in the search box, the related searches came up such as “Byun Baekhyun, Baekyeol, Krisyeol, Dobby, Chanyeol’s ex-girlfriend..”

“Hmm, there isn’t anything new,” he mumbled. But as he clicked the Baekyeol tag, something caught his eyes, one article that said “Baekyeol enters the Top 10 most cute couple in Korea.” His already big eyes nearly popped out of the sockets when he saw that and hurriedly clicked to read, he saw all of their Baekyeol moments piled in one page and some of the pictures were those he never expected to get a shot of.

“Baekhyun-ah, Baekhyun,” he bellowed in his deep rumbling voice that could have shaken the whole dorm. The door clicked open as the dawdling Baekhyun came in,

“What again? If this is about another manga crap of yours, I’m not listening.”

“It is not crap, and plus, I listen to all your SNSD stuff, you talk about them 24/7.” Chanyeol protested, slowly losing his intention of calling Baekhyun out loud to show him what he saw.

“Wha.. you said you like them too!” The older boy argued, “What are you watching?”

“See it for yourself,” Chanyeol got up from the chair for Baekhyun to see, while the latter’s eyes were becoming as big as Kyungsoo’s while reading the article.

He was mesmerized by the fans’ comments. And he could feel a blush creeping up his cheeks.

“Crap, this is crazy.” Then, like he just snapped out of his trance, and shouted, “This is all your fault, Park Chanyeol! Who tells you to be all lovey-dovey with me in public. Now fans are taking it the wrong way!” the older boy huffed, still scanning through the photos.

Chanyeol, getting surprised by his friend’s sudden outburst, “Baek, what?” I never though you mind..” his words trailed off, feeling rejected by Baekhyun’s words.

“I didn’t but I do now, this couple thing really bugs me.” With that, Baekhyun kicked the chair and went out of the room with a loud slam of their bedroom door. Then, a wide-eyed Kyungsoo opened door & said,

“Chan, Baek, you guys will never believe this, MBC….” His words trailed as he saw a sad Chanyeol sitting on his bed the laptop his gaze fixed on the screen of the article what Kyungsoo was gonna tell them. Kyungsoo was able to grab the situation quickly, “Oh, nevermind, guess you guys already found out..”

Chanyeol and Baekhyun didn’t talk through dinner, even when the normally quiet JongIn cracked some jokes on the choice of clothes their manager has. The maknae Sehun sensed the tense atmosphere but not knowing why, he decided to keep silent. Leader Suho, tried to keep it friendly by telling them about the next 3-day holiday they were going to receive before their comeback preparations. Normally, those same-aged friends would high-five, bounce up and down, and start bluffing about their ridiculous plans for the holidays but no response from either of them.

 Chanyeol was playing with his phone with his free hand while the other hand was twirling Kimchi spaghetti with a frok. Baekhyun, on the further end of the table ate quietly. Chanyeol finished first without another word and headed to his bedroom. Shortly after Chanyeol, Baekhyun also finished and walked to living room just to avoid Chanyeol.

“Okay, that was awkward. What is with them? It was really quiet the whole evening and here I am, thinking about finally having some peace and quiet and now what is this?” Suho asked his dongsaengs.

“Who knows? Baekyeol and their tantrums. They were bickering a while ago while I was asleep,” JongIn muffled, with his mouth full.

“Oh, for God’s sake, don’t talk with your mouth full,” Kyungsoo nagged, as he started cleaning the table.

“Don’t worry, hyungs, I’m sure they’ll be good in no-time, they can’t live without each other really,” dish-washing maknae spoke up, “I’m gonna go skype with Luhannie hyung, goodnight, hyungs.” With that, he ran off.

That night was unusually quiet with two noisiest people giving a cold shoulder to each other. Chanyeol rolled in his bed, still mad at his friend for how he reacted. They have been the closest for 2 years. Although they argued about smallest things on daily basis, never had a fight between them been this serious. They are like two people who can’t go on without the other, or so as he believed. Baekhyun never minded with all those Baekhyun moments until today. Chanyeol has always been a clingy person and he really loves his best friend besides the fanservice. He has this instinct insdie him that he needs to protect his tiny Baekhyun.

The clock struck 12, Baekhyun still hadn’t come into the room, the weather was getting chilly and Baekhyun is afraid of the cold. He was worried. For a moment there, Chanyeol thought about going to go out of his room and claim his best friend but his pride stopped him.

“Why would I be the one to make up with him when he was the one to shut me down?” Then he decided to get his beauty sleep as they had this early schedule the next morning.

In the living room, Baekhyun found himself distracted even when watching his collection of SNSD live shows. He didn’t’ want to go back to the bedroom either, for a reason he couldn’t figure out. Not talking to Chanyeol bugged him to death but he couldn’t understand himself why he got mad at Chanyeol in the first place. It wasn’t his fault really that the article came up. He knew his best friend had always been like that. With him or with other people. Or not? “Chanyeollie must be upset now,” he thought. He wanted to go back to his bedroom so bad but he was afraid of what Chanyeol would say to him and the answer he would have to give to Chanyeol.

The night was cold for Baekhyun, and he couldn’t fall asleep for some reason. Maybe because he was used to sleeping through the loud sniffling sound of Chanyeol or maybe the absence of the peacefully sleeping Chanyeol beside him? He wasn’t sure.

It was uncomfortable sleeping on the couch. It felt as though his limbs were starting to have cramps. He began to wonder how Chanyeol with his gangly limbs slept out on this couch when Baekhyun turned the heater way too high.

“Chanyeollie must really care about me, then, the problem is me. Aish. Frustrating.” He mumbled to himself before he shifted his body to a more comfortable position, tucked himself to the blankets and drifted off to sleep.