Humble Beginnings

Writing - The Entity of Art

"I'd like to ask something about writing. Well I'm trying to write some story but I find it hard to start the story even though I've already concepted an ending. And also have a plot. It's just hard to think of putting in the beginning."

 

Oriole Says:

Starting a story is always hard, and it really always will be. The saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” may be correct, but many readers, myself included, judge the book based on the first paragraph. I’m going to give you some tips that will hook the reader from the first paragraph, because I believe that after that paragraph, it will flow naturally, especially since you already seem to have the plot down.

1.      Ask a question, and then elaborate on it. For example:

 

“If you paint a white rose red, in an attempt to change it, what color is it truly?”

This would be an example of a question that has to with change. If one of your themes is change, or truth, this would be a good way to start the story. Asking a question about the moral is not only thought-provoking, but also fun.

2.      Come full-circle. Hinting at the end of the book without giving it away can be an effective way to hook the reader in. it gives them a sense of mystery without being too lost.

3.      Prologues. These gifts from God are wonderful if you have background information that needs clearing up, or if you have something that doesn’t fit into the plot, but is stuck in your mind. It’s the first thing people read, and it’s the place you can get the most creative. I highly recommend these if you are still stuck, but need to write.

These things are really good tools for writing beginnings, and if you’re still worried, because I know that things are easier said than done, you can always at a spot with the plot, and work backwards to the beginning. Introductions are hard, so we hope this helps.

 

Rima Says:

Starting a story is always hard. As a writer I frequently have problems with this. Sometimes it is because I can't figure out the right words and others it is because I have trouble finding a good place to start. Here are some tips on finding what a way to start your story.

A.) Every plot has to start somewhere, something that ignites it and makes it start moving. If your story is exciting find that spot and start writing from there. Like say someone is murdered maybe write that person dying before jumping into the everyday life of the character.

B.) There are many different ways to start a story; some ways that come to mind are dialogue/internal dialogue, action, sensory detail, and scenic detail. With dialogue or internal dialogue your story starts with either a conversation going on like:

“Momma, why did dinosaurs die?”

“I don't really know son.”

Action would involve obviously the character doing something like running away or toying with a basketball. Sensory detail has to do with how the characters body is feeling or what they are seeing. An example would be:

Seohyun's heart stopped dead in her chest as the sight before her. She desperately wished to run from the monstrosity before her that made her stomach twist into nauseating knots.

Scenic detail is much the same as sensory only it involves describing the area around your character be it the golden leaves in the trees or the horrifying noise that willows make when a storm blows through them.

C.) When you don't know how or where to start just start writing. It may not end up being your actual beginning but it helps get you past the block of not writing and will eventually lead you to where you want to go.

D.)Since the beginning of a story is supposed to hook the reader try and pick a part of your story that is intriguing or interesting and start from there.

I hope that helps you. If nothing else I just suggest to write. Like I said it may not end up being your actual beginning or even in the story but it gets you to write. That's what I do when I can't quite start a story the right way

 

Thank you for your question, Anonymous. We will be glad to help you more if you have questions. We hope this helped.

 

With Love,

Oriole and Rima