Love at first sight

My Otaku Boy

 

“Can we go now?” You impatiently groan, trying to tug Minah away from the school balcony. “Hey, classes are starting in five minutes. If we don’t leave, we might be late for first period.” You lecture her. “Plus, it’s cold!” You shiver, cold late November wind brushing onto your face.

“I don’t care, as long as I see him today. “ Minah murmurs, fervent eyes still searching for that guy.

“Oh is that so? That’s it. I’m outta here.” Grumbling, you start to walk towards the door. Minah grabs your hand and holds it tightly.

“C’mon, a minute or two more won’t hurt. We’ll just wait a little longer. “She pleads. “I’ll free you lunch.”She adds quickly. You eye her suspiciously for a long time.

 

As a bestfriend, she is well aware that you’re a person who is firm with her decisions. Until it involves your first true love - Food.

“Fine.” You surrender. “You better buy me a whole set later.” Tracing back your steps, you leaned on the railings just beside her. You really hate it when she’s successful with her manipulations.

This waiting game wasn’t originally the reason why you often the place. Not a few days ago, Minah and you were just chilling in the same spot in the balcony and enjoying the fresh air. The both of you were even exchanging private comical impersonations of your teachers when she stopped laughing and looked completely awestruck of a sudden.

Being the observant person you are, you noticed her reaction and followed her gaze directed below. There were two boys headed towards the other side of the building. One had hair dyed with an orange-ish hue, and one wore big-rimmed glasses. You didn’t have the chance to take a look at their faces, though, because they took a quick turn and disappeared fast.

So here you are, currently stuck with your bestfriend still hopefully waiting for those two pass by you again for these last consecutive days. Yes, you haven’t seen them since that fateful day one of them decided to appear magically and got Minah struck with love at first sight. Although, for you, it would be more accurate to say ‘attraction at first sight’.

“So how does he look like? This… guy we’re … uh, stalking? Is he the orange head or the glasses one?”

Minah pouts at the usage of the word ‘stalking’, but immediately brightens up upon hearing ‘orange head’. Oh, so it’s the orange-crowned boy.

“He’s reaaaally cute!” She says, almost squealing. “No, even cute won’t justify him. There’s no word that can describe him enough.” She sighs, explaining vaguely. “You’ll know when you see hi—OH MY GOSH THERE HE IS!”

She points frantically towards the two approaching guys. You slap her hand away and try to quiet her down, slightly embarrassed of her exaggerated reaction. Luckily, they were too busy talking to notice the fangirling taking place above them.

Squinting, you lean to examine the guy that Minah apparently likes closely.

Then in a split second, you finally understood what she meant earlier.

 

 

The scene felt like it was in slow motion the moment you saw his face. Behind the tangy-colored locks you’ve known was fair skin, and a small deer-like face. He had cute eyes, high cheekbones, and perfectly shaped cherry lips. Not to mention his sharp jawline.  And his smile, too. – It was something girls would die for.

 

 

And just like that, you also now understood what the phrase ‘love at first sight’ felt.

~

 

“You’re weird, you know that?” Minah says before taking a sip with her drink.

“As if I was ever normal.” You snort. “Why all of a sudden?”

“I don’t know, last time you were so against and whiny about coming here, and now you don’t even say a word. You even told me to be early.” She observes you narrowly. “Don’t tell me, you like that guy, too?” 

“What? No!” You cried defensively. “Well… I figured that… It was useless to, uh, complain against a very stubborn friend. ” You impulsively alibied, eyes shifting away from her. You look back at her. “Do you know you’re very persistent?”

But she wasn’t listening because she already had her back facing you, smiling dreamily while looking below. That only means he’s here now. You thought, hurriedly going beside her.
 

 

The pretty boy was there, with the same glasses guy again. As usual, they headed towards the other side of the building. But before they could take a quick turn and disappear, someone called out to them.

“Luhan!” The guy shouted. The orange head turned to him.

“Bingo! So his name is Luhan? Ah, what a nice name. My prince Luhan~.” Minah purred.

Luhan. You silently repeated, smiling. A pretty name for a pretty guy .The both of you continues watching them. And then Minah suddenly freaks out.

“Wait… I know that guy! That guy they’re talking with! We’re friends!” Minah squeaked excitedly. “Lay! Laaaay!” She ran and dragged you to the corner of the balcony with her and shouted, waving her hands. Oh, no. For the past few years of your friendship, she doesn’t just persuade you to do things, she also never fails to make you have that strong urge to poof into thin air at times like this. Sometimes you wonder how you survived it all.

At last, Lay’s head shot up to your direction and noticed Minah’s desperate shouting. He’d be deaf if he didn’t, obviously. Lay stopped talking and waved back at Minah. Luhan and his friend also looked up at the both of you. Luhan flashed a small smile, making you unnecessarily blush.

 “Omo, help me breathe, he smiled at me!” Minah ran to the other side, practically jumping with joy while fanning herself. “That’s it.” She decides. “I have to do something now.”

“What are you planning to do?” You ask. This girl should get locked up before she does something rash.

“You’ll see.” A sinister smile curves up her lips.

 

 

Now where’s the nearest prison cell here?

~

 

 

 

I-I…” Haruto stutters. “ I like y—“

 

“Heeey~”

 Minah’s eyes appear at the corner of the manga you’re reading, interrupting your concentration. You sigh and put it down, slightly irritated.  You give her a questioning look.

“Guess what?” She grins.

“What?” You replied boringly.

“Guess it first.”

“If you’re not going to tell it to me now, then I’m going to resume reading.” You pick the book up again.

“Fine, fine. It’s about Luhan~”

You freeze and put the manga back down. “What about Luhan?” You coughed, trying to sound as neutral as possible. “Wait, don’t tell me you kidnapped him?” Please say no.

“Hmm, not yet.” Your eyes widened at her response.  “Just kidding. Of course not! Your friend is not  that crazy.” She laughs. We never know. You laugh with her nervously.

“So what is it?”

“Well, because of my awesome people skills… I got Lay to set us up with them this coming Saturday.” Thank God she didn’t do anything stupid. Wait what?

 

 

Us? I’m coming along?” 

 

~

 

“I knew it would be like this.”

You thought while tailing behind Minah, who is currently clinging onto Luhan like a koala holding onto its newly found favorite eucalyptus tree. She has been like that before Lay can even finish introducing everyone to one another. You’re actually impressed and annoyed at the same time, because he didn’t mind  Minah’s clingy attitude at all. It’s either he’s too polite, or he likes it. You hope it’s the first one.

And since she hogged the guy before anyone can speak to him, you’re left with no choice but to tag along behind together with Lay and Luhan’s friend , lonely and disappointed. Plus Lay and the glasses guy was too busy talking about something, so you’re left with only yourself.

Since it would be too weird to talk with yourself in front of them, you occasionally steal a peek at Luhan’s face for about a few seconds instead, admiring how his features are more handsome up close. Sometimes, you imagine hypothetical situations with him. Like how it would be if you confessed to him. Or if he confessed to you. Or if either of you said yes to the previous situations and stuff.

The whole day basically all went like that for you. Wondering about impossible things while tagging along like a lost dog with an invisible leash behind two people that could possibly be together in the next few days. It’s amazing how you managed to survive.

 

 

“I need to go now. It’s almost six. I still have to go somewhere.” Lay finally opens up, glancing at his watch. “See ya in school everyone!” He jogs away and disappears.

“Uh, me, too.” You interject, glancing at the three of them left. The sooner I leave, the better.

“Oh… then I guess we’ll all have to go home now.” Luhan followed. Minah’s happy face slowly dissolves into disappointment. “Where do you girls live? We’ll walk you home.” He asks us, his look lingering at me.

“Uhm, I’m headed there. “ You point to the right. “Minah’s headed the other way.”

“Oh… is that so?” Luhan nods, looking a little sad.

“How about you, where do you live?” Minah asks the glasses guy.

“Well, I go the same way as her.” He replied.

“Ah! How about you walk together?” She proposed. “Luhan, we’re headed the same way, too, right?” She hopefully asks him.

“Uhh.. Yeah…” He nods, almost hesitantly.

“Then it’s settled.” She hooks her arms with him. “See you on Monday, you two!” She drags Luhan away.

 

Minah’s high pitched cutesy voice can still be heard from afar as you watched the two walk away. You sigh, still standing there with Luhan’s friend.

“Let’s go?” He asked. You nod and started walking leisurely with him.

As you strode wordlessly with him, snow started to fall. The cold was bearable for the first few minutes that passed, but as each succeeding minute ticks, it got harsher. Plus, the awkward silence made it worse.

You endured it quietly, although you were already faintly shivering from the chills. Then suddenly, something stirs beside you and before you could check, a warm scarf is already rounded up your neck.

You look at Luhan’s friend, surprised at the gesture.

“Uh…” He coughs, head lowered. “I thought you looked cold so…” He smiles timidly, still looking away, and adjusts his glasses, full rosy round cheeks that you didn’t notice earlier – although you really didn’t care to notice him the whole day –  now bulging up his face. They’re so full you want to touch and pinch it hard. You slap the thought away.

“You really don’t have to.” You the scarf, fumbling to take it off. “You might get cold, too.”

“No, no, I insist.” He stops you. “I still have extra heat packs right here.” He pats his chubby cheeks and smiles. You laugh, fighting the urge to squish the extra heat packs he was talking about.

“Ah, you actually know how to laugh?” He asks, playing innocent.

“Eh , what kind of question is that? Of course, I do.” You eye him narrowly. “What are you trying to say?”

“Nothing. You were silent and distant hours ago, so I guess you were someone who doesn’t like to laugh. “

“Oh.” You put on a sad smile. “I was just thinking about lots of things.” Yeah, impossible things.

He nodded and didn’t inquire further.

“Well, this is my street.” You stopped and faced him. “Thanks for walking me, by the way.”

“No problem.” He smiles, wiping his foggy glasses with his sleeve. “Bye.” He bows and starts to leave. You bow back and headed towards the opposite direction.

 

You hurry inside the house, desperate to warm up yourself with a cup of hot chocolate. But as you were running towards the kitchen, the scarf got tangled with something sharp and realized something.

I forgot to return it! You thought while entangling it delicately.  I guess I’ll just return it on Monday, then. You shrug and climbed up to your room.

 

 

~

Sundays were the only time you could go out and spend the free time to relieve stress. You put on your winter clothes, together with the scarf you forgot to give back yesterday. Would he mind if I used it? You thought, clutching the scarf. Nah, he won’t know anyway.

 

 

 Rubbing your gloved hands together to keep warm, you strolled across shops and stores near the vicinity amidst the cold. You arrive in front of your favorite shop and pushed the glass door open.

Scanning shelf after shelf, you look for the latest volume of Switch Girl released about a week ago. After a few more minutes of sightseeing and praying that it hasn’t sold out yet, you finally saw it at the farthest corner of the store. Oh, there’s only one left.

You hastily approached closer and reached out for the book, but a black-sweatered guy also got hold of it at the same time. The both of you paused and looked at the other.

 

Your eyes widened upon a surprising discovery.

 

 

A/N: /gasp Who would the guy might be? :))

So, I personally think the first chapter is ... idk, boring? What do you think? I apologize in advance. * bows

 Originally, this was supposed to be a one shot but I was too excited to share it with you so I decided to post the first half. :) I will post the other half soon, though. Teehee. 

 

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!