The Basement

Light Shade

 

The place is littered with body bags, and I have the urge to throw up. They hang from the ceilings, the walls, they litter the floors. Some are clean, though some are seeping with blood.
 
I find a staircase and I run down it, almost crashing into a wall on the other side. The black cat yowls at me and I gasp, careful not to step on its tail.

“Yo.”

I heave a sigh of unexpected relief, slouching onto the floor. I look up to the wall beyond the cat. It's a familiar grey brick, however the wall is red-stained and sticky. It must be a basement of some sort, the way the ground is cobblestone and slightly wet with what smells like sewerage.

There’s a small door to the side, and I know this is the only way forward.

I decide to rest by the cat, running my hand along its black fur. Black cats are supposed to be bad omens, however this cat seems different, somehow. It calms me.

“Kyungsoo, how are you?” it asks. I shrug, pulling it onto my lap.

“Not so great, this place is weird,” I tell it sadly.

“I miss home.”

The cat nods at me, my fingers.

“I was like you once. A human, trapped in this house.”

I look at the cat in surprise, letting it purr as I its fur and rub my fingers between its ears.

“I didn’t pass the wizard’s test, so the wizard turned me into a cat, forever to walk the corridors of this Godforsaken place alone. I have been… so alone… but then you showed up, Kyungsoo, and I didn’t feel so alone anymore.”

I smile at the cat, giving it a pat on the head.

“I’m not sure I can believe any of this,” I mumble to it.

“To be honest, this all feels like a horrible nightmare.”

The cat flicks its tail, running it against my leg.

“I know,” it says sadly.

“I thought it was a nightmare, but soon, I realised, it can't be. I can’t wake up from it, like you can wake up from nightmares.”

I hold the cat close, bringing its face to mine.

“I asked you for your name, before,” I tell it, nuzzling my face into its ear. The cat mewls in happiness, rubbing its face against me.

“I suppose it’s only fair if you also know my name… I was called… Kim Jongin… when I was human, that is,” it purrs.

“My friends called me Kai though. I never found out why.”

“Maybe you’ll be able to,” I tell it kindly. The cat jumps from my lap and stalks to the other side of the room, watching me intently with its yellow eyes.

“There’s no hope for me,” Kai says pointedly.

“I’ve been here far too long, there’s no way anyone would remember me. I’m probably dead in the other world.”

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“It’s the wizard’s magic, he brings people into this world only to kill them for sport or turn them into animals for his own twisted games. I’ve seen so many die before you. No one has made it as far as you have in a while, you may have a chance.”

“K…Kai,” I begin, my lips, testing his name for myself. I like it.

“I’ll pass the test and get out of here, and I’ll take you with me, OK?”

Kai seems unconvinced. He sits, stretching his paws out before him. I shake my head at Kai, giving him one last scratch between the ears as I work my way to the door. As I go to push the door open, I hear Kai speak again.

“Kyungsoo… be careful.” I give Kai a nod, smiling at him.

“I will be.”



Kai was right. I do indeed need to be careful.

The next corridor I venture down is long, and the minute I shut the door behind me with a click, an arrow comes hurdling towards me from the other side of the hall. I duck just in time, not even able to survey my surroundings as another arrow shoots mere inches from my nose.

I break into a run, clearing almost half the corridor. I move to the left to avoid another, side-stepping again to the right just in time. Arrows seem to be coming not only from in front, but also behind!

I dodge once again, finding the end of the long corridor quickly. I open the door and slam it shut, jumping as I see Kai sitting across from me in the corner of the next room, curled up under a small bench with a vase. There’s a door next to it, and I try it.

Locked.

I can see a gap in the floor in front of me, a never ending blackness ades underneath. But, there is a thin bridge that runs across it, which leads over to a switch. It must open a new door…

The bridge must be made of only a single curl of wool, and there’s no way I’d be able to cross it myself; it would definitely snap under my weight.

“That’s where I died the first time,” Kai whispers. I turn back to him, a look of confusion in my eyes. He seems to read my thoughts, and he explains carefully.

“The wizard liked watching me fail. I tried to cross the bridge because I thought I was light enough.” Kai breathes heavily.

“I was a dancer when I was human; quick and light on my feet. But, the chord snapped and I fell into the abyss.”

Kai looks at me carefully.

“All I remember is a sickening thud and blackness, but then I wound up back up here. I died nine times before he lost his interest and turned me into a cat.”

“That’s sick,” I respond, shivering. Kai nods.

“Try the door to your left. I’m not able to help you fully, that’s part of the curse. I am allowed to give you hints though.”

I give Kai a small smile, lowering my head in a bow of thanks. It must have been so hard for him, getting his hopes up every time someone new came, trying to help them and failing. I shudder at the thought of crumbling down into the nothingness that gap had to offer.

What a horrible way to die. Alone, in the dark.

I tilt my head to the side, spotting the door that Kai had mentioned. I push it open to find a small pool, a note on the wall behind it.

There appears to be a small frog sitting in the centre of the pool, its green, long legs outstretched. I think it is smiling at me.

I look at the note on the wall, reading it aloud.

“Do you like frogs?”

I give the frog a nod, and it seems to approve. The frog jumps across the pond towards me, finding a place in my pocket. I give the frog a smile, returning to the other room. I walk across to the narrow bridge, and take the frog out of my pocket.

“It would be a big help if you could pull that lever for me,” I tell it. The frog seems to nod, and I watch as it leaps across the curl of wool. It presses the switch and jumps back, leaping back into my pockets.

I hear a clicking sound, and I head back to the door. I see a figure, tall and handsome, walking down the corridor before me. But somehow, he fades, and Kai shivers.

“Did you see it too?” I ask him.

Kai shakes his head.

I know he saw it, but I don’t press the matter. The figure had dark hair and dark eyes, with skin slightly tanned. But there was something odd about the eyes; they were completely black. There was no white to them.

I give Kai a pat on the head and walk to the door that was once locked. It mustn’t be anymore, so I push it forward, revealing a new room.

I don’t like leaving Kai behind, but I know I will find him again. He’s like some sort of guide for me, but I feel something more for him, a feeling I can’t place. 

 

 


So if you've watched/played the game you'd realise none of this cat conversation actually happens... SEE, PEOPLE! This is what happens when I let my Kaisoo feels run amuck. Kai ends up a cat, Kyungsoo falls in love with a cat, Kai dies. 9 times.

Kaisoo is the ASDFGHJKL couple for me at the moment, so it had to happen. But the plot's going to be pretty twisted at the end... nothing at all like the game, I think. Hmm, we'll see...

.__.

I shall try and update ASAP, but I'm almost done with Superiority Complex, and I kind of want to get it out of the way... but I'll try! I've done stranger things in the past, so we'll see... ^^