The Last Doll

Light Shade

 

The corridor is long and narrow, and at places it branches off, forming a long, difficult labyrinth. I try my best to traverse through the corridors in an organised fashion, however it is difficult and dark to see.

I learnt when I was younger, one should always follow the right wall when in a labyrinth or a maze, because in the end you will eventually find the way out. I do just that. I hug the wall, running my hand along the cold brick as I stumble my way around.

I find a table first, the wooden oak pressing hard against the wall. There is nothing above it, and nothing below. I run my hands over the top, and underneath on the floor. Nothing.

I continue on my way, soon hitting the front of what must be a tall, standing wardrobe. It, like the table, does not home the colourless shoes.

I continue on my way, gasping as the wall subsides, and statues of some sort take its place. I cannot see at all, the light from the previous room no longer casts its glow upon me. The statues, however, I know are worn and old. They crumble beneath my fingertips.

I see a light in the distance, and I walk quicker still, towards it. When I am finally close enough to see it, I scream in alarm. It’s familiar black tuft of hair and those familiar blank eyes…

The wizard!

Before I can turn back around, the wizard has run right through me, like a malevolent ghost. My heart is racing, and I fall to the floor. I crawl a little while further, too scared to touch the wall before me.

The wall is covered in blood splatters.

Soon I find an ancient casket, one laced with hieroglyphs or ancient symbols of some sort. I run my fingers along it, noticing that there is a little hole on its side. I try and lift the lid.

It won’t budge at all.

I find another ancient casket next to it, and I jump backwards as a strange light emanates, inches from my face. There’s a body, but it’s wrapped up in thick bandages from head to toe.

“What do I do with you?” I ask it.

Silence.

Something small and cylindrical catches my eye, held in the hands of the mummy. The object is long and smooth, and hollowed out in the middle. A smoking pipe of some sort… Though the shaft is the perfect size to slide into the other casket. I pry the mummy’s fingers open, flinching when I hear the mummy’s groan. It’s starting to wake up, and I don’t want to be here when it’s fully awake!

I grab what looks like a key or obelisk of some sort, pressing it into the other ancient casket’s hole. There’s a click, and the lid slides open, landing on the floor with a loud thud. I see the casket is emptier than the last, though there are shoes sitting on the inside of it.

Glass shoes.

I take them out, flinching as a heavy hand is placed on my shoulder. I turn around, expecting the worst…

The mummy has arisen from its tomb, staring at me through the gaps of its bandages, and I run. I run as fast as I can, back down the corridor. I hear a scraping sound, like something heavy against tiles, and I realise that the statues from before have also started to move.

I run as fast as my legs can take me, stumbling around and tripping as I try my best to navigate the twisting, pitch black corridors. My voice is hoarse from screaming, my eyes stinging. I can feel my heart ramming in my chest, each beat far too close in time to the last.

I see a light in the distance, and I run towards it. I scramble through the doorway, tripping as I make it out of the room. The yellow roses stop their conversation, stooping their petals towards me.

“So you made it,” one says, half in disbelief.

“Now you have the shoes, I suppose you can go on.”

I breathe heavily, marching through the grass room and back into the room with the poisoned corridors. I place the glass shoes on my feet carefully, stepping through the liquid before me with a grimace.

It doesn’t burn my feet like I expect it to; instead, there is a light tread, like I’m walking on air.

I spot a door, about halfway down the corridor. The door handle is jutting out from the rest of the wall, so it is easy for me to push it forward without touching the poison. I do so, walking into a new room.

It’s a small box, dark and covered in the same purple substance. There is a dresser, however, to the side. On it, a small headless doll. I pick it up, placing it in my pockets.

This could come in handy later.

In fact, with the way this has been going, anything really could come in handy to be quite honest.

I exit the room, letting out a shriek as a bunch of cockroaches fall down from the ceiling, right on top of me. I scream, swatting them away, hissing in surprise as they sizzle once they hit the poison.

I continue down the long corridor, finding myself in a new room. There’s a small desk with a book placed on it, the familiar ‘Wizard’s Diary’. I open it up, scanning the page.

“Almost there,” I read aloud.

“The next door is a riddle, arrange the numbers in a palindrome, 6, 6, 0.”

I nod, walking to a new door on the opposite side of the room, one that happens to be directly in front of me. I find myself in a small room, with darkened walls though well lit. There’s a window, and I can see I’m still on the highest floor of the mansion.

The moon shines through the window, and I am at a complete loss of words. Have I been here for days, or mere hours? I can’t recall anymore.

I find a new door, one with three simple buttons. I know how to make a palindrome, and I punch in the numbers in order immediately; 6, followed by 0, and finally 6 once again. I my lips as the familiar click of a door opening resounds.

But I can’t help but think that that last puzzle was far too easy.

I walk into the next room. It’s wider than the last, lined with glass cabinets. I see various coloured bottles within, though almost all of them appear empty.

Some are long and conical and some are short and spherical. Some contain what looks like the remains of human body parts; chopped off fingers with overgrown, dirt-coloured fingernails, eyeballs of varying shape, size, and colour. Eye drops, vials containing pills of some sort, varying from relief from a common cold to sleeping pills and other pills I imagine are much more dangerous.

It’s just like something out of a horror movie.

I spot a figure to my left; the same figure that I’ve seen as apparitions before. The wizard.  He stands before a specific shelf, his fingers running over a tiny vial. When I take a step closer, he disappears; fades into thin air.

I pick up the vial, and scream as the room shakes. The head of the doll, the one that must fit the small figurine I have just picked up from the other room, rolls around on the floor before me.

I stoop over to pick it up, placing it in my pocket. The next step I take causes the room to shake once again, and I hold my hands out, disoriented.

Large, black spiders drop from the ceiling, their legs hairy and overgrown.  Their eyes are beady red orbs, and they watch me intently as they scuffle across the floor towards me.

I scream.

I run for the door, slamming it shut quickly behind me. I hear the thump of the giant spiders on my back, and I run back through the poison corridor, screaming as cockroaches drop from the ceiling, scrambling all over me.

I don’t have time to stop at all, running out into the grassy room. However, things have changed. The once vibrant green grass is dyed blood red, and thorns run up and down the walls where the roses once grew. The tree has aged, releasing autumn leaves all over the ground. The leaves themselves have curled up and withered, crunching underneath my feet as I walk.

“What do I do now?” I wonder aloud.

There’s something I have to do with this doll, but I have no idea what!

I sigh, sitting myself on the bench. There’s a massive gush across it, like someone; or more accurately, something, has tried to claw through it. There is an odd red stain, but I try my best to ignore it.

I feel tears once again prick at my eyes. I don’t want to cry again, but it all seems so hopeless. What do I do with the doll?

I think for a while, sifting through my thoughts. The shape of the doll is somewhat familiar, but where exactly have I seen it before?






Wait…






That might be it!

I return to the room before me, the one with the three dolls, red, green and blue, and the four tables, red, green, blue, and purple. I pick the doll pieces out of my pocket, placing the headless doll on the remaining table, purple, first. I wiggle the doll’s head back onto its body, propping it up in the same position as the others.

I step back in surprise as the tables seem to slide across the floor, packing themselves even closer together.  The table with the red tablecloth one moves so it is positioned just in front of the blue one, to reveal a small hole in the floor, just large enough for me to crawl through.

I see scratch marks across the floor around it, like someone has used their fingernails to try and claw their way back out, and I shiver.

Do I really want to go down that shaft?

I shake my head, slapping my palm against my forehead.

Of course I want to go on. I’ve come so far already, and Kai needs me to defeat the wizard and free him. He’s depending on me…

I take a deep breath, willing my eyes to focus in the space before me.

Here goes nothing…

 

 

 


As some of you will be able to tell, I swapped bits and pieces around in this chapter and added more description to make it even creepier than the game. I think from this point onwards, the story is going to change drastically from the game to better fit Kai's character. After all, Kai wasn't even supposed to be in the story, but Kaisoo feels went ape on me basically.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed this update! Please don't hesitate to comment! :)