Kai and the Wizard

Light Shade

 

There’s a long tunnel, but it’s completely pitch black. I shuffle forward, trying my best to remain steady on my feet, calm.

I almost run into the wall because I can’t see a thing. I feel around, looking for something, anything, to give me an idea of where I am or a way out. Nothing. Just a small piece of paper, four words scribbled on it.

Come to my room.

But I don’t want to. I turn around, running back through the darkness until I see the light.

But everything’s changed.

I’m in a new hallway, similar to those I’ve passed before. There’s a deep red carpet lining the floor, chandeliers that sparkle hanging high above me, each holding at least a dozen candles. The candles cast a glow on the glass embellishments, and lights seem to dance along the walls.

“Where am I?”

There’s a door to my left, and I walk over to it. I scan before I enter this new room, but there aren’t any other doors in sight; not even the way I came from. I hear an eerie sound, a violin playing in the room beyond in awkward, minor keys.

I turn the handle, entering the darkened room. It’s dark, though moonlight casts a pale glow through the large, Victorian windows, illuminating some of the objects. There’s a desk to the left, a bed to the right. The sheets that were once pure white have been soaked and stained with crimson red.

“Kyungsoo…”

I know that voice, and I follow it. I find the cat, Kai, in a small cage. His black fur is matted, and his yellow eyes are wide and frantic, searching.

“Kai!”

I fiddle with the cage’s door, but it seems to be locked. I make a circuit of the room, shuffling through the drawers of the desk. There’s a diary, just like the others, in fact identical.

Wizard’s Diary

My disease was slowly killing me.

I was going to die…

So I took his body from him. I lived on in his body.

That’s fine, right? Because we’re friends.

He gave me his body… because we’re friends.

So today… we should play some more.


Right?



Kyungsoo?




“What?” I slam it shut, breathing panicked breaths.

I need to find the key and free Kai. He needs help. I don’t have much on me, aside from the own clothes I wear, but I can give them to him. I can find scissors and rip a sleeve off, tie it around Kai’s battered paws.

I walk across the room, lifting the sheets so I can look underneath the bed…

A hand extends out towards me, and I scream, crawling backwards on all fours. My back hits a wall, and the hand shoots out, clawing the ground before me. Slowly, a figure emerges. Dark, styled hair and flashing white eyes.

The wizard.

“You want my body? Is that what you want?” I scream at it.

Fully emerged, the figure stands, its blank eyes staring out at me. It seems unsteady on its feet, stepping towards me. It holds its arms out as if it doesn’t quite understand how to move; the motor functions hindered.

“Run!” Kai yells.

“I’m not leaving without you!” I scream back, running to the other side of the room. I find a key taped to the wall and I grab it, taking the slowness of the wizard as time enough to free Kai. I pick him up, careful not to hold him uncomfortably or harm him in any way.

I run.

I leave the room, panting for breath as I notice that everything has become one large maze. The rooms have seemed to blend together, kitchen chairs mixed in with tiled walls, paintings and ornaments lining the walls of corridors with beds hanging off of the ceiling upside down.

“What’s going on?” I shout, legs pounding on the carpet. Kai hisses and arches his back, and I slam a door shut behind me, fumbling with the lock.

“You need to get out of the house, Kyungsoo!” Kai shouts.

“Go back to that room with the cabinet, the first one on the first floor.”

“How do I do that?” I ask breathlessly, eyes wide. I continue running, willing myself forward although I’m already completely out of breath.

I don’t know what to do anymore; I don’t know what is up and what is down.

Gravity has turned itself off, it seems. Soon I find myself in another corridor, but nothing is fixed to the floor. Bit and pieces of furniture float through the air around me, and I grimace as I stumble, tripping over my own feet.

“Kyungsoo! Run!”

The wizard is behind me, and I scream in surprise as his cold hand reaches out towards me.

“Quick Kyungsoo! Don’t let him get you! Don’t let him steal your body like he did mine!”

“What?” I ask breathlessly, completely disoriented.

“That person you see now, that was me once. That body… belonged to me!”

I gasp in surprise as long fingernails run up and down my skin, sending shivers down my spine. I scream in alarm, drop Kai, and kick my feet out in panic. The wizard brings a hand to my head and slams it down to the ground.

I black out.

 

 


And now it is absolutely nothing like the video game. There's a new plot twist I've added to the original here and I hope it makes it much more entertaining. Can Kyungsoo escape from the wizard? Does Kai have a chance at getting his body back?

I'll update as soon as possible! ^^