Spider Lily (1/?)

Spider Lily

For the second time, Jiyong tried to reach the book on the top shelf. And he failed. Again. Darn it! Even these shoe lifts won’t do any good in this situation! Jiyong sighed. If it’s not for his damn paper work from his docent then he won’t be at the Seoul Metropolitan Library right now. I’d rather go to the music store or play the piano or hang out with my best friends.

Oh by the way, I was thinking about taking violin class or shall I take a private lesson instead? I guess dad wouldn’t mind. I miss him though. But he’s been very busy lately. And mom..tsskk! Who am I kidding? She wouldn’t care. I don’t care about her also. Perhaps she’s in Milan right now or in Paris. Haute couture, famous designer, shoes, bag, perfume, etc. My mama is a fashionista! And so am I a little bit. Well, at least we have one thing in common.

“Which book do you want?” Jiyong jolted in surprise, not expecting anyone standing so close to him. “Ah..uhhmm, that one, please,” Jiyong pointing at the book. “The Ancient History of Greece. It’s a good book,” said the stranger as he gave the book to Jiyong, making the latter blushed. “Thank you,” Jiyong replied shyly. “You’re welcome. Bye,” the stranger smiled and walking away. And Jiyong just can’t take his eyes off him.

Tall, dark hair, definitely handsome and cool at the same time. Aish! Why didn’t I try to make a conversation or introduce myself or..or whatever! Now the chance is gone.

~~

“Yah! Seungri-ah! What do you mean you can’t come?!” Jiyong grunted on the phone. “Sorry hyung but you remember that girl I told you before, Yuri? Suddenly she ask me to go to the cinema to watch the Sinister! She said she’s too afraid to watch it alone.” “Sinister? That horror film? You are going to watch a horror film?” Jiyong begin to laugh now, mocking the younger male, “Seungri-ah, are you sure you’re not gonna be the one who’s weeping and begging to go outside the cinema hall as soon as possible, like you did when we watch the Paranormal Activity 4?”

“Ah hyung! That’s our secret, remember?! Only you and Young Bae hyung knew about that! Please keep your promise that you won’t tell anybody else, especially my girlfriends! Oh there she comes! Bye, hyung!” Seungri hung up the phone.

That brat! And Young Bae must attend extra class tonight so he can’t come also. And here I am all alone at the Mango Six. Jiyong scratched his head as he slurping his mango jelly. Suddenly his eyes catch a glimpse of someone entering the café.  Omo! Is that him? The nice gentleman at the library? Oh my God! It’s really him!

Jiyong muster up his courage to approach him, “Uhmmm, excuse me. Do you remember me? We met at the library few days ago.” The stranger only looking at him, a bit puzzled. Jiyong bite his lips nervously, “I..I guess you forgot. Sorry to bother you. Good bye.” Jiyong bowed and walk back to his table as soon as possible. His face is as red as a tomato now. Omo! I’m so embarrassed! Why did I..

Suddenly he felt a hand touching his shoulder. “Please wait. I remember now. You want the ancient history book, right?” the stranger smiled friendly, “The Ancient History of Greece, to be exact,” he added.

Jiyong nodded happily, “Yes, that’s right. Can I please treat you something? As my gratitude that you were helping me with the book.” “You don’t have to bother. I’m glad to help you.” “Please, I insist. Or maybe you’re with someone? Omo! I’m sorry!” Jiyong mentally cursing himself.  “No, I’m alone. Well, I’ll take your offer..uhhmm?” “Jiyong. My name is Kwon Jiyong,” Jiyong replied quickly. “Nice to meet you, Jiyong. My name is Choi Seunghyun.”

Jiyong ordered a cup of espresso and cinnamon roll for Seunghyun also another mango jelly and Earl Grey white chocolate muffin for himself.

“You’re a big fan of mango, I suppose?” Seunghyun asked. Jiyong chuckled, “Yes. I like fruits and mango is one of my favorite.” “That’s good. This is a nice café but I don’t come here often.” “Are you a student too?” Jiyong took a bite of his muffin. “No. I’m working at the Netherlands Foreign Investment Board,” Seunghyun replied. “Oh? How old are you?”

Seunghyun grinned as he heard that question, “You know, I still think it’s kind of funny how people here always curious about age. I understand it’s in the culture, it’s about the hierarchy. But in Europe, we just don’t ask people, especially to the ladies, about the age.” Jiyong gaped as Seunghyun continued, “I’m 26 years old, Jiyong. And please forgive me if sometimes I’m being blunt and straight to the point. You might think that I’m harsh but I’m just being honest. A is A and B is B. I will say my opinion honestly eventhough it may hurt your feelings.”

“But you’re a Korean, right?” Jiyong asked innocently. “Well, my parents were Korean. But I was born and raised in Holland and I have Dutch nationality. So my appearance is Asian but the way I think and act, I’m more like European. But since this is my second year living in Korea, I try to adjust some manners and behavior,” Seunghyun took a sip of his espresso.

Jiyong find this young gentleman is even more interesting now. “I’m sorry for my curiosity but did your parents raise you with all Korean norms and customs like we did here?” Seunghyun smiled, “You don’t need to apologize, curiosity is normal. It’s a part of human nature. My father died before I was born and my mother raised me with Korean norms but she died when I was 8 years old. After that, I was raise by my mother’s relatives, a couple with two sons. They are always busy with working, trying to fulfill everything we need so we can grow properly.”

Seunghyun sighed, “They are nice people and they treat me like their own son. I’m very lucky, I guess. And they are not very strict with Korean norms and customs. So I grew up happily with lots of freedom. But thanks to all the freedom, I’m able to learn to be more responsible to myself and the people around me.”

“I’m sorry to hear about your parents,” Jiyong said softly, “and I’m supposed to call you ‘hyung’ from now on because you are 6 years older than me.” Seunghyun chuckled, “Ah! The honorifics. For me it’s not necessary, you may call me Seunghyun if you want. I don’t mind.” Jiyong shook his head, “I really like to call you ‘hyung’.”

Seunghyun smiled. That dimples, how can he be so perfect? Jiyong looked at him with awe. “Alright. Now please tell me more about yourself, Jiyong.” “Me? Uhhmm, I’m 20 years old now and I went to Seoul National University, majoring Business Administration.” “That’s one of the top university in South Korea, right?” Seunghyun asked.

Jiyong nodded as he sighed, “My parents wants me to go there so I can learn very well about business. Even honestly, I’d rather to learn about music. But I have no choice.” “I guess they just want the best for you.” “Yeah. And the fact that I’m the only child make the things even more complicated for me sometimes.”

“Really? Isn’t it nice to be the only child? You have no competitor and you can get everything you want easily,” Seunghyun teased the younger male. “This might sounds cliché but I came at the point to realize that the material things doesn’t always make you happy,” Jiyong looked at Seunghyun, noticing that the latter is staring deeply at him and it makes him shivered.

Those eyes, Seunghyun’s dark eyes.. As if those eyes can see inside me, to the bottom of my soul. And I just can’t hide, can’t escape from those eyes. So dark yet mysterious and..and I’m willing to drown in it.

“Jiyong? Is everything okay?” Seunghyun waving his hand in front of Jiyong’s face. “Huh? Oh yes. I..I’m fine. Sorry, I’m spacing out.” “Like when you were in the library?” Seunghyun winked his eyes playfully. Jiyong blushed, “It became a habit lately,” he mumbled. “Please don’t do that while you’re driving, alright? It can be dangerous and I’ll be worried,” said Seunghyun with a firm tone.

What? Did he just say that he’s worry about me? Omo! Jiyong trying hard not to squeal and hide his happiness. “Alright, hyung. I promise,” he replied. Seunghyun smiled, “Good to hear that. Jiyong, I have to go now. Thank you for the treat and the conversation. I’m glad to know you.”

A slight of disappointment came across Jiyong’s mind. “But hyung..uhmm, can I see you again?” Seunghyun startled a bit but then he nodded, “I think so. Here’s my business card. You can call me if you want.” Are you kidding me? Of course I want to call you! I want to see you again, hyung. I even wish this conversation will never end.

“Thank you, hyung. I will call you,” Jiyong accept the card. “Please do,” Seunghyun smiled as he walking away from the table.

Meanwhile on the parking lot, a pair of eyes watching the two of them from inside a blue Dodge Charger. And when Seunghyun is out of sight, that person opened the door of the car and walk inside the Mango Six, silently approaching Jiyong whose still fiddling with Seunghyun’s business card.

 

~TO BE CONTINUED~