Chapter 11

Dyscalculia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am now looking at the computer screen, doing nothing in particular. Was I too harsh on him? I put my pen down and leaned back on my swivel chair, closing my eyes. The unglam scene of me shouting my head off by the roadside a while ago flashed before my mind. I let out a deep breath that I didn't know I was holding. He did make sense though. I'm his best friend right? Therefore I was supposed to get his out of a tight spot, right? So why was I chewing his head off? Reality hits me when I flinched at the sudden pain in my palms- I had been clenching my fists too hard. I am being really unproductive now, what with all the work load laid on my desk, practically calling out my name as I stared at the untouched pile. Feeling a pang of guilt and a hint of regret is uncalled for. I mean, why should I feel guilty?! He's the one who's at fault for tricking me into lunch that I did not agree in the first place! He included me in his little 'scheme' of practically putting on a show where involuntarily, makes other people think I'm his girlfriend or something when I am obviously not!

What did I expect anyway? I should have seen it coming. In a way, maybe I did, but I just didn't want to acknowledge it. I didn't want to acknowledge the fact that if one day, Seung Hyun was to finally find a suitable girl for himself, he would probably forget about me. And I don't want to be forgotten. Even if our relationship does not go beyond than friendship, I want to stay close to him. If I were to be honest to myself, I felt a flutter when he held my hands back at the cafe just now. What was I even thinking? I was delusional enough to think that he finally sees me as more than a mere best friend. Even a little more than just a best friend, I thought that would be enough. The outburst a while ago clearly showed me the exact opposite of 'enough'.

I am not that narrow minded to be mad at him for using me in that way. I am mad at him because as a result of his little show just now, he implied that me, as his best friend, being closer to him more than anyone except for his mother- it's unquestionable that I would do anything for him without consequences. What I am trying to say is that he feels comfortable enough to put me through his whims and fancies and he thinks that I am more than happy to oblige.

More so that I am mad at him, I am also mad at myself for not resisting him. I could have just insisted a 'No', but I did not.

 

*****************************

(Seung Hyun's POV)

I stepped on the brakes slowly as the traffic lights turned red. I hope there's a place to park at the market, though. While waiting for the lights to turn green, I mindlessly thought of Audrey's outburst. Sighing in defeat, I made a left turn and immediately spotted an empty parking space. I quickly parked my car at the spot before someone else beat me to it. Turning the engine off, I ran my fingers through my hair and stayed put in my seat for a bit. Tonight is a bit colder than usual despite the multiple layers of clothes I'm wearing and also a hot pack in my left pocket. After ensuring my car was locked, I walked towards the entrance of the market when my phone rang. It's manager-hyung.

"Where are you?"

"At the market."

"What?! Why are you there?" There's a hint of cynicism in his voice.

"Just running an errand. Why are you calling me?" I was getting impatient.

"Just checking up on you."

"Okay. By the way, I won't be going back to the office tonight."

"Okay. Stay out of trouble." What is he talking about? I'm the least troublesome one if I were to be compared with the rest.

Hanging up, I find myself in an environm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter