A Missed Opportunity

Swimming in Our Endless Glances

 

My usually boring weeks have an added spark to them now, my Wednesdays and Fridays to be exact. I found a reason for me not to sleep during my usually boring classes. Every WF’s I would come early to class, which, I tell you, rarely happens.

I sit on my spot, not to sleep, but to stare at that door. Ahh~ my beloved door. You see, in the auditorium where we hold our classes, the door is right in front, beside the stage. So whenever someone enters, the whole class can see who it is.

So I wait and wait and wait for the laugh of the group of friends who caught my attention on the first day of classes. It was sooo boring. I had no one to talk to; since my seatmate, Peniel, sleeps the moment he sits on the cushion of his seat.

I was almost asleep when I heard the door open. Not only that, I heard loud laughs with it. Finally, it’s them! And that was all it took for me to wake up – that girl, especially her eyes and her smile. They took their seats as I continued to look, no, stare at her from a distance. It seems that everything she wears just suits her. From where I sit, I could see how confident she is of herself. I could see that she was a strong girl. I could see that she was happy with the life she had.

My daydreaming was ruined when the door opened again, and this is when I hate it the most. The professor came in and started to prepare for his lecture. This is when I start preparing my mind to multitask. I listen to the lecture, while I stare glances at that girl.

Most of the time I can only see her profile, since she listens so intently to the lecture. But at that very moment, she looked at my direction. My eyes widened. o.OI checked if she was looking at her friend behind me. No, she wasn’t! The moment that I realize that it was me she was looking at, I quickly looked away, pretending to listen to the lecture. Shizz, Minhyuk! I facepalmed in great disappointment. How can you be such a coward! That was your chance to look at her in the eyes. But no~ instead, you look away. This is just great! Now I’ll only have one sided staring contests all semester. Just great!

 

Our classes ended and I went to see my friends. They could see something was wrong with me.

“Are you alright, Minhyuk?” Ilhoon asked.

I just frowned, still pissed at myself.

“Something surely happened in his class,” said Hyunsik, trying to guess what happened to me, “I’m pretty sure it’s nothing about your grades, since you nail your subjects even though you don’t study.”

“It’s a girl, isn’t it?” Ilhoon added.

Aishh, why do they know me so much? “You guys know how I love to sleep in class, right?” I asked, starting to tell my story. They nodded. “There’s this girl who interrupted my slumber in my Science class, in a positive way though. In our past few meetings, she has been my dreamland.”

“Ohh, this is something new,” said Ilhoon while nudging Hyunsik.

“I’ve been staring at her perfect beauty during our classes. And a while ago, argh!” I groaned while remembering my failure, “she looked right back at me! Guess what I did? I looked away.”

“Haha! Good job!” Hyunsik said, laughing at me.

“I didn’t know you were a coward, Minhyuk,” Ilhoon added, joining Hyunsik with his laughing.

I stuck my tongue out at them. “You guys are such great friends, aren’t you?”

“I’m sure you’ll figure things out. You’re not Lee Minhyuk for nothing,” Hyunsik tried to encourage me. I just hope he’s right. I really want to see that girl’s eyes again. I want her to look at me.

 

We parted soon after. Hyunsik and Ilhoon went home while I still went for a walk, thinking about her. Come to think about it, I don’t even know her name. There’s just so much to learn about her. And I don’t even know whether I can have a chance or not.

I didn’t notice how far I walked from my home. So I decided to ride a bus. I sat at my favourite spot – the very back of the bus, where I won’t be bothered by anyone in my slumber. :D

A lot of people got on the bus at the next stop. I was about to sleep when I saw someone familiar – it was her. But it wasn’t the usual her. She didn’t have energy, she didn’t have confidence as she walked towards the back of the bus, towards me.

I kept looking at her, and I’m pretty sure she’s staring right into my eyes, as well. This time, I didn’t look away. I was so confused as to why she’s like this. We just kept staring at each other. My eyes followed her until she got to the seat beside me.

I know I should be happy about this; but why am I feeling… I’m feeling worried? She looked forward as I kept looking to her eyes. Now that I’ve seen her eyes up close, they seem very sad, contrary to her usual smiling face.

“You look familiar,” she said, startling me.  She sounded like she’s drunk. “Have I met you somewhere?”

“Yes, were classmates, in our Science class,” I said.

“Oh right~, Eunyoung,” she said, extending her hand for me to shake. She was smiling at me, but she still had such sad eyes.

“Minhyuk,” I said, shaking hands with her. I smiled back. Never did I think that this would happen.

After we introduced ourselves, she looked forward again. This is getting a little awkward. Her head then banged forward. I realized that she was asleep. Then the driver suddenly put the bus to a stop. If I hadn’t caught her head with my hands, she would’ve bumped her head to the seat in front of us.

As the bus went on the move again, she leaned back again. But this time, she didn’t only lean back, she leaned her head on my shoulder.

We were almost at the second to the last stop – my stop. I couldn’t get down, though; I didn’t want to wake her up. She was still fast asleep. I couldn’t help but look at her. She was just, mesmerizing.

“Last stop!” the driver called; she got awake.

“This is my stop,” she said to me, smiling. She tried to stand up, and she barely succeeded. She tried to walk; but she was so wobbly and eventually fell down.

“I’ll take you home,” I finally said; I could not stand to watch someone like this.

I tried to carry her on my back. But she refused, insisting she could still walk. So I just put her arm around my shoulder for support. She could still walk, but she could not walk on her own.

When we reached her house, she quickly got in. “Thanks!” she shouted, not looking back. She really sounded so drunk.

I walked home, puzzled from what just happened. Why is she sad? And why is she hiding it from everyone?

On the plus side, I got to talk to her. I even know her name now – Eunyoung, such a beautiful name, perfect for a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile and beautiful eyes.

Argh! How will I be able to listen to class now? I’ll just keep looking at her again. But this time, I won’t look away. I wanna see through her eyes, get to know her. But I just don’t know how. I’ll just wait till Friday.