The Question

Last Winter

                This can't be possible! How can it be Heechul Oppa? Can I really take revenge on him?

                Maria turns to me. "Are you alright, Unnie?" she shouts over the music. 

                "Yeah, I'm fine," I shout back. 

                She smiles at me and turns her attention back to the stage. "Kyuhyun Oppa is so cute!"

                 I try to concentrate on the other members, but I can't. His eyes are on me. Does he recognize me? He smiles at me. I look away. 

                Maria nudges me. I look at her curiously. She's looking at the stage, wide eyed. 

                Heechul is standing in front of me, his hand extended. "Miss, would you sing with me?"

                I feel like everyone is watching me, including the rest of Super Junior. If I say no, then I'll get hate from the entire fandom. But if I say yes, I'll have to stand next to Heechul. I am used to attention when figureskating, but this is different. The stares seem almost hostile.

                "Umm… Sure…" I answer, hesitantly, taking his hand.

                Heechul pulls me up on stage. I stand there silently and look around. Kyuhyun turns off his mic and mutters something to LeeTeuk who shrugs in response. The whole time, they continue to sing.

               I guess they hadn't planned this and were just really good at ignoring distractions. So, I guess I'm a distraction… Why'd he have to choose me anyway? It could have been Maria. Or the girl sitting next to me. Did he recognize me from last winter, I find myself wondering for the second time. That couldn't be possible… This is just a coincidence.

               Heechul hands me his mic. "Do you know what part we're at?" he whispers.

               He's too close to me. I can feel his breath on my neck. I nod, hoping that a response will make him back away. But it doesn't. He seems to get closer and puts his arm around me. "Sing this next part," he whispers as he signals the others to be quiet. 

              I take a deep breath and start to sing. 

              "Call out my heart, free my soul

               It always felt like the first time,

               these remaining days are more

               than the time that I came to love you."

               Heechul smiles and hugs me. The crowd cheers wildly despite their jealousy. And, surprisingly, I feel happy. Although, I would be happier if he gives me some space. He helps me off the stage and I sit down beside Maria. The concert continues as if nothing had happened. 

After the concert

                 "Unnie, can you believe it?" Maria asks me for the hundredth time. "Heechul Oppa hugged you! And you got to sing with them! You have the most beautiful voice and now millions of people have heard it!"

                 I sigh. "Maria… can you stop talking about that?" I respond. 

                 "Why? This is the most exciting thing that has ever happened to you. Unnie, you'll tell your grandkids about this!" she exclaims. "Not that they'll pay much attention. I never listened to Grandma's stories. They were really boring."

                 I don't say anything. She had refered to our father's mother. I miss her terribly. We had left her behind when we fled from Canada to get away from him. Our father had always abused our Umma, so we decided to move to Korea and live with Uncle KangDae. 

                I laugh a little. KangDae means big and strong. Those words are the exact opposite of my uncle. But if there was any trouble I always made sure to bring up his name. 

               "Thinking about Uncle?" Maria asks. She knows that thinking of Grandma makes me really upset and that my natural defence against those feeling is thinking of something funny. Which is usually the irony of our uncle's name. 

                "Yeah," I answer, grinning. I point at a hallway.  "That's the way out, right?"

                "I think so…" Maria answers. 

                Shrugging, I turn the corner and bump into someone. "I'm really sorry. I wasn't-" It was Heechul. 

                "That's fine," he says. "I was looking for you."

                Maria nudges me. "Unnie, he was looking for you," she whispers excitedly. 

               "Yeah, I know," I say irritably. I turn my attention to Heechul. "So, why?"

                He looks slightly annoyed by my rudeness. "Eunhyuk thought he recognized you from somewhere. Said he thought you were a figureskater or something.

                You should know, I think sourly. "I am," I reply, nodding.

                 Maria cuts in, "She's the best figureskater in Canada, Oppa. She would've been the best in Korea, too. But a back injury prevented her from competing."

                 I watch Heechul's reaction carefully. There is a change in his eyes. A hint of recognition and a flicker of guilt. "Oh, that's a shame," he says, his eyes returning to normal. "On a brighter note, you're sister's quite a good singer. Wouldn't you say?"

                 "Absolutely, Oppa," Maria responds. "She's the best singer in the world."

                 I love Maria. I really do. But sometimes I wish she would just shut . Now is one of those times. 

                 "Manager Hyung thought so, too," he says. "I'm assuming you two would like to meet the rest of SuJu?"

                 "Yes, please, Oppa," she says excitedly. 

                  "On one condition," he replies, smirking. "Your sister goes on a date with me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, readers! Here's another chapter! I apologize for the late update, I was really busy with family. Happy New Years and I hope you'll continue to read. Until next chapter~