Plan 2: Bottle Opener Challenge (Part 3)

Operation: Fall In Love (Short Story)

 

“Okay, so are you guys available next week as well?” Kina asked both Yumi and me.

“Same time, same place?” I asked. Kina nodded, as we walked into the café. “Oh I can’t though, I have vocal practice next week,” Yumi informed us. I nodded, “Well I’m free next week.”

“Okay good, we could meet up again and see if we could learn the rest of the song,” Kina took a seat at our usual table.

I nodded, as I pulled out my phone to make a reminder for myself for next week.

It was a lovely Saturday afternoon and we had just finished learning about three-fourths of SISTAR’s Loving U. I’m not the best dancer, but I love learning new dances.

“Hmmm, what do you guys want to get?” Yumi asked. I looked at the menu, not realizing that HH was standing right there. I nearly gasped, but caught myself and kept a cool front to seem like I’m more down to earth than I really am.

I propped my arms on the ledge and looked at the menu, trying to decide what I wanted. “Dawww, our Yunnie looks so adorable right now!” Kina commented, making me turn to shoot her a glare. She snickered as she looked at Yumi, who was nodding in agreement. “Agreed,” she spoke as she kept her focus on the menu.

I looked back at the menu, trying not to stare at HH as I could feel his gaze look at me. My outer appearance shows that I’m a calm girl that is simply looking for something yummy to eat. But on the inside, I’m screaming my head off and squealing like crazy and running around and other things that regular people that are on a sugar rush would do. And I somehow managed to maintain a good image. One point to my sanity, zero points to my insane self. Mental self-five *clap*

As I was thinking about what I wanted, I saw a customer walk up to HH. “Hey! Can you open this soda for me? I don’t have a bottle opener,” she asked him.

“They have soda here?” I asked. As HH nodded and pulled out a bottle opener and popped the bottle cap off, I looked at my friends as they both pulled their eyes away from the menu.

Kina looked over at me, “Eh? What made you…” she followed the direction of finger as she saw what I was pointing at. She understood what I meant. “I guess they do?”

“Yeah! It’s in that mini-fridge over there,” Yumi pointed out, as I saw a mini-fridge on the counter. There was an assortment of drinks varying from ice teas to old fashion sodas.

“Oooh, I se—“ I began, but then Yumi cut in the middle of my sentence.

“I GOT AN IDEA!” Yumi shouted out.

I looked at her, “An idea? For what?”

“Operation Fall in love is what I meant!” Yumi grinned, giving us a clever sly look as if she came up with the best plan yet.

My eyes widened, “Eh? We’re still aiming for that?”

“Girl! You know you want him!” Kina called me out on my feelings. I immediately shushed her, because she was basically yelling. I can’t handle the embarrassment now! “I’m only telling the truth!”

I sighed as I looked at the counter to see that same ahjusshi again, but only seeing him slightly glaring at me. What’s up with him?

“Yunhee! Pay attention to me! Stop looking at him!” Yumi snapped her fingers to get my attention. I gave her my undivided attention now. “A waeyo?” I whined.

“Don’t be whining like that to me! Anyways, I was about to tell you my plan, but you guys have a short attention span!” Yumi nagged.

Kina sarcastically replied, “Oh! We’re so sorry, please do carry on your conversation. We just can’t help but talk about a lot of things here.”

“Why thank you,” Yumi smiled. I laughed as Kina snickered a bit as well. “As I was saying, I got an idea!” She looked at both me and Kina. We were silent, waiting for what she was going to say next. “I said…I got an idea!” it was a cue for us. “This is where you guys say, ‘What idea?’”

“Oh! Right! What’s your idea?” I exaggerated my reaction a bit. Kina joined along, being a little awkward, “Yeah…uh…your idea!”

“You guys !”

“Just continue on,” I hurried her. Yumi used her library voice and whispered, “Well you see how that girl went up to ask HH to open the bottle? Why don’t you go buy a bottle too and see if you could make a conversation with him?”

I thought about it, “But…isn’t that too obvious that I want to talk to him?”

“Nooo, because you’re actually buying something from the place!” Yumi smiled.

“But what does bottle opening have to do with making conversation?” Kina asked. I nodded in agreement.

“Yunhee, you would go up and grab an old fashioned soda bottle and give it to him so he could put it on your tab. If he opens it right then and there, you really can’t make conversation with him. But if he doesn’t open it, you could later ask him to open it for you. You know ask him in that cute voice of your’s that you always use around him.”

I blushed, thinking about the whole thing already. Could I really accomplish this next task on my part?

I gotta at least try, so I could get comfortable with him. I stood up ready to grab a bottle when I saw ahjusshi standing there now. I shied back down, feeling my confidence go down already. I can’t believe he left…he always seems to disappear like a ninja or something.

Right when I was about to give up on this plan, HH came back out to monitor the cashier. Then my heart perked up again as if it was a happy puppy seeing their owner. I felt excited. I took a deep breath again and stood back up again.

You can do this, Yunhee. You are Park Yunhee, the funny dorky girl that makes everyday enjoyable! What am I doing? I’m such a loser for even cheering myself on.

Then I immediately sat back down. “What’s wrong, Yunnie?”

I sighed, “You guys. You can’t make me go up there by myself! I’m too scared…”

“Come on, it’s not scary at all! You just need to keep calm and talk to the guy,” Kina try to calm me down. But it didn’t work. “What if I can’t keep a conversation with the guy? What if I end up stuttering like an idiot?”

“You want me to go up there with you?” Kina offered. I quickly nodded. “Oh man, okay. Fine, I’ll go with you. But you’re doing all the talking. All I’m doing is just handing the money to him, got it?”

I nodded happily. At least I’m not going by myself.

I went up to the minifridge and pulled out a diet coke. Here goes nothing…

Before I could walk up to the counter, I backed away a bit, afraid to embarrass myself. I was never good at talking to people like that…

When I was going to cower back to my seat, Kina caught my back and pushed me forward adding a little kick to the back of my leg to make me move forward. “Ow!” I mumbled, stumbling forward.

And before I knew it, I was already standing in front of the counter. I sighed as I placed the soda bottle on the counter. HH was going over today’s receipts and calculating out the numbers. He’s not only handsome and cute, but also so attractively smart. Oh gah, what if I really can’t talk?

I awkwardly stood there, hoping he noticed me. But he was so deep in his calculations that I had to clear my throat a bit to get his attention.

“Oh! I’m so sorry! Hold on one moment!” he nearly dropped everything he had in his hands to come over to me. I gasped as I saw him tripped over nothing. I could hear Kina trying to hold in her snickers as I sympathetically looked at HH.

“Are you okay?” I politely asked as his cheeks got covered with a light shade of pink. “Yeah! Yeah…I’m totally fine! I’m fine~” he tried to act cool about it. I shyly smiled as I looked up slightly at him. “How may I help you?”

“Well…” I was supposed to originally buy just the soda pop. But why not do something more than try to make conversation with him? “Hmmm for some reason, I just can’t seem to decide on what to get today. I always seem to get the usual chocolate cupcake and strawberry cupcake. But today, I feel like something different. Could you help me out?”

“Eh?” he gave me a questioning look.

I pointed at the menu. “Can you recommend me something? What makes one better than the other?”

HH looked at the two items that I had pointed out and thought about it. “Well for the strawberry cupcake, we actually use real strawberries and use pure sugar to make it to the right about of balance between tanginess and sweetness.”

I looked at him in wonder as I could see the light in his eyes lit up from just talking about the ingredients. I find it very astonishing. I’ve never came across someone like this. My heart began to throb out of wanting to know about him. But I kept my sanity and nodded.

“As for the chocolate cupcake…It’s actually my favorite cupcake. We don’t only use cocoa powder to produce a sweet complexity of the milky chocolate batter, we also use semi-sweet chocolate chips and to top it off, we used a ganache dark chocolate to create the top layer of goodness when you take that first bite,” he spoke as he ended up giving me a gentle whisper, gently smiling at me. I could feel my cheeks heating up a bit.

“They both sounds so amazing. But since you recommended the chocolate cupcake, I’ll have that please and this bottle of soda as well,” I smiled at him, making a bold move by staring straight into his eyes. His jaw drop a bit as he nodded, “That…that would be 8,000 won…”

I smiled as I gave him my credit card to pay for it.

After finishing my business with him, I turned right back around and went straight to my table, as I could see the amazed looks in both Kina and Yumi’s eyes.

“Woah, Yunnie. I had no idea you were able to talk to him like that!” Yumi pulled me down.

I grinned like an idiot. I had no idea that I could the same thing.

“Yah, Yunhee! You told us you were gonna stutter like an idiot,” Kina looked at me in disbelief.

“Well…something that you guys don’t know about me. I’m actually a really nice and natural talker especially with people that I don’t know,” I smiled, giving them a sly look.

“Yeah we could definitely tell! How in the world did you manage that?”

I shrugged as I was about to drink my soda, but then I realized that my bottle wasn’t opened. “Shoot! I forgot to ask him to open my drink!” I acted out a bit.

“Here lemme try!” Kina caught on to my acting and pretended she couldn’t open the bottle. She handed the bottle to Yumi. And she tried to open it as well, but she didn’t have enough strength to do so. Just so you know, this isn’t just any type of bottle, it was one of the old fashion bottles similar to the beer bottle tops if you’ve seen one.

After our fail attempt of opening the bottle by hand, I hid my smile as we all knew what I was gonna do next.

I stood up and nearly bumped into another being. “Wah!” I gasped out.

“Yah! Watch it shorty,” I looked up to see a smiling Minho. “Yah! You watch it, loser!”

I pushed him aside as Minho pouted, “Yah! You’re not gonna say hi to me? Not even give me a hug?”

“Nope,” I calmly said, as I walked up to the counter, leaving a baby Minho behind.

I stood in front of the counter once again and caught the attention of HH this time, “Oh! Did you need something else?” He had turned around from preparing my order.

I put the bottle on the counter, “Can you open my bottle please?”

“Oh yeah! Sure! Uh…where’s the bottle opener?” he mumbled to himself looking around a bit. HH presented a puzzled look as he stumbled around the place looking for the bottle opener. I couldn’t help but giggle a bit at his cuteness.

“I found it!” He cheerfully said, pulling out a basketball looking bottle opener. I smiled, giving him a thankful smile. He coolly popped the cap off the bottle smoothly and happily handed me the bottle, “Here you go.”

I bowed slightly and thanked him, “Take care…uh…”

“You could call me Jonghyun. I’m Kim Jonghyun,” he gave me a puppy smile that made my heart skip a beat.

“Nice to meet you…”

“And can a cute girl like yourself give me her name?” he smiled at me. I blushed a bit, but showed no true feeling to that, “My name is Park Yunhee.”

“Nice to meet you Yunhee-ah,” he smiled. Before we could talk more, the ahjusshi hollered at him, “YAH! GET BACK TO WORK! NO FLIRTING!”

We both blushed at that and I immediately turned around, feeling embarrassed yet happy and glad.

This is definitely wonderful. A wonderful turn to my life. 

------

rukia1335 is BACK!

sorry for the lack of updating~

There are still more parts to come! I believe I planned out two more parts even three more parts

but please wait patiently and let me know what you actually think of it!