25

Backstage Princess

 

“Jieun-ssi, have you ever felt this part of you ache so much that it hurts?” Myungsoo asked.

Jieun hand was on his chest, he was squeezing it, trying his best to let go of the pain. Once again, those honest eyes that Jieun couldn’t resist reappear. It must be painful to him, everything that has happen. She just couldn’t find out why?

“Why is that? Was it painful?”

“It is painful, Jieun-ssi. Very much painful. It’s silly how a cruel guy like me could be hurting so much.”

He really is hurting. Jieun just need to figure out why. This man really gets moody sometimes. She knows from Jiyeon about his killer mood. Sometimes, he became all arrogant and annoying, all cruel and rough, all sweet and kind, or sulky. You could figure it out the moment you saw his eyes.

“Myungsoo-ssi, you’re hurting. Did someone hurt you? Was it Woohyun?” Jieun knew about their past, even though not to its detail. She only knew that the two used to be friends, a good and close one.  

“I was the one who hurt her first, Jieun-ssi. That is why she hated me so much.”

“What has she done?”

Myungsoo squeeze her hand, putting it on his chest. He didn’t let go. This is the first time Jieun ever saw a man like this. Barely lives because of his pain. She always though that Kim Myungsoo is a tough guy, with no feeling inside.

“I confessed to her and she rejected me. I was very much in love with her, and I still do. However, she rejected me. She hates me. I think I could understand since I have hurt her.”

To Jieun surprise, his honest confession. He’s in love after all, he’s a human after all, a guy with a heart.

“Then why would you date me? If you’re in love, why don’t you just date her instead of me?”

“Because I need to gain popularity, Lee Ji Eun. I need to date you, simply because of that reason. Are you expecting more?”

His dishonest eye suddenly appears, washing his honest eye away. His gaze changed into a fierce and forceful one, scaring Jieun away. She was caught off-guard. He was lying; he was being dishonest to himself. It was true, though. The fact that he dated him for popularity. He pushed Jieun hand harshly. She stumbles on her own feet, crashing her body to the wall next to her.

“You are obsessed, Kim Myungsoo. Obsessed.” Jieun pull her hand away from his grip.

“I asked her to date me, explaining the situation we are in. She still rejects me in the end.”

“You are a crazy cruel man, Myungsoo. No one would ever date someone, knowing he is dating someone else, simply for his own advantage.”

“I am not. She would regret ever rejecting me. I love her, more than anyone in the world.”

“Does popularity means everything to you? You don’t love her, it’s only a lust, Myungsoo. Love doesn’t exist for someone like you.”

“Popularity does mean everything to me. Do you want to suffer? You do acknowledge that you need popularity to survive, yes?”

“You are obsessed. Obsessed. It’s enough for today, never try to get closed to me anymore.”

Jieun exits the class and soon Hoya was standing in front of her, with question mark all over his face. Jieun could only stares at him, not knowing what to say. She stood still, calm as always.

“Never asked me to help him again, Hoya-ssi. I have had enough.” And she disappeared.

“We all do know who she is, don’t we?” Sunggyu whispers.

@@@

“Where have you been, Jieun? You are not eating your meal again.” Jiyeon nags.

“I have just finished wasting my precious time, Jiyeon. Don’t talk about it.”

“It’s Myungsoo again? I would like to punch him, but you wouldn’t let me, would you?”

“Where is Woohyun? He is nowhere to be found. Is he skipping class again?”

“He is upset, Jieunnie~. You should try to talk to him.”

“I have tried, Jiyeon. It didn’t work very well, he ignores me.”

“Then tried again, Jieun. He only listens to you. You could find him in the basketball court, he’s frustrated.”

@@@

He was there, in the basketball court, playing alone. The sound of the ball, bumping to the hard ground, echoing through the court. His upper shirt was ing, his tie was loosening. Another arrogant attitude of him, including changing the way he dressed. He used to be that way, when he was still a friend of Kim Myungsoo.

Woohyun notice Jieun presence but once again choose to ignore her. They haven’t talk for days. Jieun didn’t even try to talk to him. She left him alone, letting him to have some time alone. Something he didn’t need in the first place, he would have like it if she was there, right next to him. May be, she just don’t understand. Because this is the first time, he became so upset.     

“Woohyun, how long are you going to ignore me?”

“As long as I need, Jieun. I don’t want to talk right now. You have been with him all along, haven’t you?”

“I am, Woohyun. I can’t apologize because of it, although I do know you hate him.”

“Don’t ask, Jieun. I don’t want to answer.”

“I’m not asking Woohyun. I can’t keep saying sorry to you. You’re upset and I’m the reason.”

“It’s nice talking to you, Jieun. If you may, please I need some time alone.”

“What is it, Woohyun, that you want me to do?”

“What will you do, Jieun?”

“If it’s someone else, I could just do what I think is right. But this is about you, Woohyun I don’t know what to do.”

“If I am someone else, if you are about to do what you think is right, what is it that you would have done?”

Staring, it’s what they have been doing. Silence fills the room. Woohyun has stopped bouncing the ball, he was staring at her. She has been replying to all his stares and gaze, as she walks closer to him. It was loneliness, sadness, frustration that fills his gaze. He was simply lost, not knowing what to do. He needs someone, yet nobody has been there for him.

“I’m so sorry, Woohyun.” Jieun hugs him.

“I shouldn’t have left you alone. I should have talk to you. I shouldn’t have said sorry, since you never think it was my fault. I should have been there for you..” she explain.

“I never think it’s your fault, Jieun. You should have trust me more.” Woohyun hugs her back.

However, little did they know that Kim Myungsoo was watching. From the very beginning, to the very end.