Chapter Six: School with Kai

The "Mute" Girl

You got up the next day, feeling lazier than ever just thinking that you had to go to school with Kai. You tried to delay but you were the type who could not tolerate being late for school. Therefore, with all you laziness, you managed to get up and get ready for school. After you were dressed, you made up your bed and opened the curtains. Then there was Kai; fixing his uniform and hair in the mirror. He fascinated you, somehow. The fact that he can make a simple uniform look so dashing; how he was so sleek and cool; it killed you. You managed to smile at him and thank God he didn't catch you staring at him from behind the curtains.

You went downstairs for breakfast and your foster parents were eating. "Oh! You're here! Come, come! Sit next to me! I have wonderful news to tell you, my dear!" Mrs. Han chirped happily the moment she saw you. You seated yourself beside her and you tilted your head a bit, indicating her to tell the news. Mrs. Han gleamed at Mr. Han then at you. "I..... I.... I'm...." Mrs Han was hesitating but you waited patiently. "I'M PREGNANT, ____________!" She exclaimed with happiness and tears of joy rolled down her cheeks.

You widened your eyes and hugged her immediately. You felt happy knowing that you were about to have a baby sister or brother even though you weren't biologically related to her. You weren't that close to your foster parents but since that day, you were closer than ever and you promised yourself to always help them through thick and thin. 

HONK! HONK! HONK! You heard honks in front of your house and you peered through the window. Your eyes widened when you saw it was Kai. You quickly got off the chair and grabbed a bun. "Who is that young lad, sweetie? A friend of yours?" Mrs. Han asked with a sheepish smile. You blushed then hugged her and Mr. Han. You waved at them then you left. 

"She's in love!" Mrs. Han chimed and Mr. Han nodded at her statement with a smile. "At least someone succeeded at making her smile," he added.

When Kai saw you, his smile broaden. He gave a helmet to you and you put it on. He helped to buckle it then you hopped on his bike. "Ready?" He asked. You nodded and held on to the sides of his shirt, trying not to hug him. He started the engine and jerked forward, causing you to accidentally hug hit him. He laughed at you then you hot him on the back. "OUCH! Okay okay, I won't do that again!" He said while laughing. Nonetheless, you were still not going to hug him and held on to the sides of his shirt tightly. Kai pouted. He started to move then off you both went you school. 

When you reached the parking lot of the school, everyone was staring at you and chatters filled the air. Kai couldn't help but smile. "Yo Kai!" Called a short-looking fair guy from afar, approaching you and Kai. "Yo, D.O!" He shook hands with both of them. "I didn't know you took up taxi service for the school," D.O joked while snickering. Kai rolled his eyes and replied, "Whatever, D.O. You're early today, huh?"

"Well, I'm unpredictable. Annyeong, ___________-ah!" D.O finally greeted you when you got off the bike. You waved blankly with an awkward smile. "I didn't know you were into her! Do you know how long I've tried to approach her but she was so damn quiet and now she's with you?!" D.O whispered harshly to Kai, not knowing you actually heard him talking. You tugged Kai's shirt and indicated that you were headed to class.

Kai nodded and ruffled your hair. You slapped his hand away and left. When you reached class, you sat next to Eunhye, as usual. "Yah..." Eunhye greeted you with a serious tone. You nodded your head. "What's with you and Kai, huh?" She asked with a serious look on her face.You took out your pad and wrote:

"I recently found out.......... that we're neighbors."

After Eunhye read it, she smacked your head again. "PABO! NOW ONLY YOU TELL ME?! YOU COULD'VE CALLED!" Eunhye shouted. You smacked her head back and wrote: 

"I found out last night, pabo. I know you wouldn't want a call at midnight, right? you know how cranky you'll get."

She pouted and sighed. "Fine, you're right. Jeongmal mianhae," she said while waving her hands at you. You lightly punched her. Then Kai came and sat at his seat which was next to you too. He waved at you happily. You frowned but waved back anyway. 'This guy..... How can he always be so happy?' You thought to yourself and smiled.