The Talents

The Art of Life

Here she comes. Walking down the hallways with everyone's eyes on her. Her tan skin, her dark, raven hair, her slender body, and her double eye lid eyes. Judging by the way she carries herself, you can tell she's a dancer despite being new to the school. She is wearing a blue jacket with a hood at the back, white sweatpants and Nike sneakers. Her backpack strap is on one shoulder with her other things in her left hand. Everyone's eyes are on her but she doesn't really care. Nobody is approaching her but she doesn't really care either. That's not what she's here for.

She's here to dance.

Kwon Yuri is here to dance.

Kwon Yuri is a very quiet girl, as you can see. Maybe it's because she's new in town and she hasn't met anyone yet. I'm sure this girl has a lot of potential despite being or appearing withdrawn to say the very least. Because I swear, I've seen more confident new students. Most of the new students that come to our school are outgoing and friendly and say hi to the first person they see. Kwon Yuri is different. I see Kwon Yuri make her way to the dance studio where she is to start her very first class. THE very first class for this year in the dance department. I see Kwon Yuri walk past Son Ga In. Let's see what happens.

"Ouch! ! My things!" Yuri bumps into Ga In and apologizes as soon as she can. Ga In bends down to pick her things and so does Yuri. Yuri helps Ga In with her stuff but Ga In slaps her hand away and stands up.

"God! I'm so sorry! I didn't see you I was in a hurry and-"

"Next time, watch where you're going, toots! You're new here! Don't act like you know and own the place!" Ga In hollers and walks away. Yuri is dumbfounded but is still holding Ga In's music sheet. Ga In notices and snatches it from her. Yuri is embarrassed and pale. Not a very good experience. This'll scar her. Not minding it, Yuri enters the dance studio and places her bag down on the floor. She eyes the girls who are stretching and practicing their dance moves. Yuri is lucky that she got accepted. Not many girls get in this school-in the dance department at least. Being new, Yuri really doesn't know anyone is somewhat too shy to talk to the beautiful girls and handsome guys working their beautiful bodies out. She just sits in one corner and hugs her bag, trying hard to stomach the bad experience that she had earlier.

This school's not just some talent school. It's actually hell when decorated, sprayed with Lysol, and filled with beautiful yet sinful people, myself included although not on that wavelength. The school's beautiful but the people aren't.

Let's get back to Yuri's case. Yuri is sitting there in the corner watching the girls and boys practice when the teacher comes in and greets everyone. Yuri stands up and greets the teacher, too.

"Good morning, class! Today is the start of a new school year filled with dance, passion, and talent." greeted Mrs. Joon. She sees Yuri and realizes that Yuri is a new student, therefore calls her to come forward and introduce herself. "I see we have a new student. Young lady, why don't you come forward and introduce yourself. We'd like to get to know you better since it's the start of the school year." Yuri walks to Mrs. Joon and faces the girls and boys. Everyone stares at her the way the students down the hallway did.

"Hello everyone. My name is Kwon Yuri. I'm new here as you all know. I came from another dance school and because of financial difficulties and some problems with that school, my family decided to come here and make me study here. So I hope you guys accept me as a classmate, a dance-mate, a friend, and a family member. That's all. Thank you." the other students clap. One raises his hand and asks Yuri something.

"Yuri, you said you came from another dance school." asks Mark Kim.

"Yes. That's true."

"Can you give us a demo of your dance." the entire class roars in joy. Mrs. Joon encourages Yuri to dance.

"Well you have to play some music, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to dance!" Mark Kim plays "Killa" on his phone and Yuri begins to move gracefully to the music. There's no real choreography in her demonstration but you can see the passion and gracefulness that Yuri has. Everyone applauds her afterwards.

"Thank you." Mrs. Joon says. "You're a very good dancer. That dance school where you came from must be really good! They have manufactured a very talented girl! Welcome to the class!" The class claps and cheers. Four girls, however, aren't very happy about the new girl.

"She's gonna have to show us more than that if she wants to survive!" says the shortest one with short hair.

PART TWO:

Let's head over to the drama department. You see that guy! That guy with short hair. The really tall guy. Yeah. He's the best actor in this class. He can portray any emotion without breaking a sweat. Crying, laughing, killing, anything! He's almost perfect. He's won so many awards for his performances over the past few years that he's been in this school. Not only that, he's the perfect Adonis. Handsome, talented, smart, friendly. He's the perfect guy. All the girls…well maybe not all…most of the girls are crazy for him and want him. The guys either hate him or want to be friends with him. All is cool with this guy. But he's not really after the popularity. The swooning girls and greening with envy guys aren't what he's after. The rush of being popular is not what makes his world go round.

It's the desire to act.

Choi Minho's desire to act.

"Alright. First things first. First day of this school year, assessment time. I'm gonna call each and every one of you here to demonstrate a dramatic scene here in front." Mr. Park says. He looks at the long list of drama club students and tries to select a student. "Ah! Mr. Choi Min Ho. Kindly please step forward and give us a demonstration of a dramatic scene. Since you are last year's Best Student Actor awardee, why don't you prove to us that you really are for that title." Minho confidently steps forward and begins to think of several sad thoughts. He finally picks one and acts it out. He looks around. At Mr. Park, his classmates, the walls, everywhere. The thought envelopes his being and within 10 seconds, Minho breaks down and cries, eyeing the place and uttering the lines.

"You…you lied to me…I thought you were….I thought you were for me…." his line goes on and on and his acting is moving, his crying makes everyone tremble in awe. The scene is done and he goes back to his seat. Mr. Park applauds him.

"Very well done Mr. Choi. Now, since all of you here are old students. There are no new students around, I'd like to start the semester with an assignment." the students groan at the sound of the word 'assignment'. They hate it when he gives them one. But Minho is game for it.

He is game for anything.

"I want you guys to write your own script. Just a 3 minute dialogue. And you will present it here on Friday. You have the entire week to do it so be sure to do your homework and present the best you can present. I'll be expecting!" Mr. Park says. The students begin to cram and think but Minho-he's just chill.

He's game for anything.

On another note, Minho has a girlfriend. His girlfriend is Raina also known as Oh Hye Rin. She's a vocal student and is known for her really beautiful sounding voice. Minho has a bad side that only Raina and I know, as far as his bad side is concerned. Raina knows because she's his girlfriend. I know because I'm a writer and I'm obligated to snoop, spy, sneak, eavesdrop, and listen in on other people. That bad side is something that will be revealed later on in this story.

Minho exits the classroom with a breezy disposition. Carefree and confident as he always is. He walks around the campus like he's king and makes all the girls stare at him. He doesn't care. All he's looking for is his girl Raina. Raina is probably done with her vocalization and so it's high time that he picks her up. He goes to the other room, the music and vocalization room, and stands outside the room next to the door, waiting for Raina to exit. He waits and waits until he gets bored so just as the class is about to be dismissed, Minho leaves the proximity and heads home, right after promising Raina that he would wait for her and go home with her.

He didn't keep his promise.

What a jerk.

Raina sees him and runs after him. Minho walks away quickly trying to avoid Raina.

"MINHO! MINHO WHAT THE HELL!" Raina yells from afar. Minho ignores her but later turns around to confront her.

"What the took you so long?" he grabs her shoulders and rocks her back and forth.

"What do you mean took you so long? We were vocalizing and practicing in there! Can't a girl pursue her music education! I never complained when you made me wait for you while you were in acting class!" Raina defends.

"Can you move a little bit faster next time? Okay? Don't test my patience, Oh Hye Rin-"

"Raina! I hate it when you call me that. Only my mother calls me Oh Hye Rin!"

"Shut up! You're my girl and I'll call you whatever I want to call you! Next time OH HYE RIN, make it fast!" Minho left her standing in the middle of the hallway.

PART THREE:

She walks away from the spot where he left her. Her eyes watery and her pride crushed. Nobody notices her as she picks her things up slowly and runs as fast as she can away from where she once was. She is known in this school as the girl with a very sweet sounding voice, one that resonates and echoes throughout the campus. You know her as Minho's girlfriend. The most beautiful-sounding singer.

Oh Hye Rin.

But nobody knows Oh Hye Rin. They know her better as a feminine version of precipitation.

Raina.

Raina is a weak girl, as you can see. She is standing in the middle of the hallway, bawling her eyes out because her boyfriend refused to listen to what she has just said. She didn't come out of class on time and made Minho wait, angering him and making him leave. Minho won't be talking to her for the next few days. That's the problem between her and Minho. Minho is a very impatient guy. He always wants his way not just with Raina but with other people as well. Maybe because he's used to getting what he wants right away, when Raina fails to do it, he gets angry. And all Raina wants to do is to please Minho because she needs Minho. She says it often. She needs Minho. She loves Minho. She can't live without Minho. Minho makes her world turn.

And I think she's oblivious to the fact that Minho is a playboy and is willing to get with any girl that he thinks is attractive.

And even if she knew, she wouldn't do anything about it. To her, Minho is a god.

What a martyr. If only she knew what Minho was saying about her behind her back, I think she'd think again about committing to Minho.

Her friends Sun Ye and Hye Rim, also members of the Choir Class, chase her out of the school and catch up with her crying on the staircase.

"Raina! Raina what happened?" Sun Ye asks. Raina looks up, her bangs soaking wet with tears and messy because of too much ruffling.

"Mi-Mi-Minho." she replies.

"What did he do to you?" asks Hye Lim. Raina sits up straight and fixes her hair.

"Well, he yelled at me and walked out on me. Left me in the middle of the hallway." she explains. Hye Rim and Sun Ye look at each other and back at Raina.

"And then…"

"And that. That was all." Raina wipes the excess tears off her face. Sun Ye looks at her with a dumbfounded face.

"That was it? You're crying because of that?" Hye Rim exclaims. She gives herself a face palm and places her hand on Raina's shoulder.

"Don't ever, ever, ever cry about things like that again! Please." Hye Rim. "Girl you're so weak. Come on! Have a little pride! Have a little dignity! Don't go around ing crying about that! Minho's not worth it!'

"Hye Rim's right. Be a little stronger next time around. Minho's not worth your pain." Raina wipes the tears.

"You girls don't understand. It's because you've never had boyfriends before. Once you have yours, you'd say that I was right!" Raina defends her statement but Hye Rim and Sun Ye refuse to believe her.

"Look. Why don't we go to the KTV bar and celebrate what life brings to us, okay. If Minho doesn't love you, just don't care about him!" Sun Ye angrily waves her hands in the air, nearly slapping Raina. Raina slightly smiles and looks down.

"If he's a jerk to you, break up with him. He's not freaking worth it, Raina, I'm telling you!" Hye Rim convinces her friend but for some reasons, Raina prefers to be stubborn.

"But I-"

"Shut up. Shut up girl. If he's like that to you, there's no reason to stay with him." Raina nods and looks at Sun Ye.

"Let's just go to the KTV bar and forget about this thing." she says. The girls cheer and walk to the nearest KTV bar, all three of them singing.

"There's a lot more guys out there that are much better than Minho. You're going to find them soon." Sun Ye advices.

PART FOUR:

I made Minho look like a jerk in the previous chapters. But if there's one person besides Raina that really cares about Minho, not just admires but really cares for him, that's his right hand man. His best friend. His best friend is under the voice department but specializes in rapping. He writes his own rhymes and produces his own beats. There's a reason why he entered rapping, though. It's not just because he likes rap music, well aside from that, it's because he has a lot of anger stored in him. And when you mix sick rapping talent with raw emotions of anger, sadness, guilt, and everything negative, you get a very bombastic son of a named Kim Ki Bum.

But don't be calling him Kim Ki Bum. This rapper has his own name and he refuses to be called by his real name.

To open your mind up, let's just call him Key.

There are a lot of questions and mysteries surrounding this young man named Key. His anti-social and somewhat aggressive behavior make him a favorite amongst teachers and guidance counselors, most especially the head guidance counselor. Key has gotten himself into trouble over and over again. It's not to stereotype rappers, it's just saying that Key is a shady person with a questionable past. His past will be revealed through his actions later on. But in the meantime, Key, this young man, is concentrating on his beats.

Hey, I don't know youKeunyeol moreujiman keunyeoreul weonhaeNareul bburichyeodo keudael jinjjaro weonhaeNamjadeureun modu jimseung neukdae gatdagoEommadeureui gyeongheomdameun midji mallago

Key reads his beats. He eyes the paper and thinks that his work is of no good. Sensing this, he crumples the sheet of paper and eyes a trash bin standing right in front of him. Like a basketball player, he shoots the paper ball into the trash bin and stands up, angrily picking his back pack up and placing it on his right shoulder, walking away from the place.

Going home is usually burdensome for Key. When he's home, he's either in his room writing raps and producing beats or in the kitchen drinking his father's soju beer. Whenever his mother catches him drinking, she'd grab him by the ear and hit him with anything that she could get her hands on. Be it a broom, her slippers, a book nearby, or what. When his father comes home, he yells at his mother and asks for his beer and when his mother says that Key drank all the beer, he beats her up and calls for Key. Key comes down and receives a beating from his father, him being responsible for all the bruises that are on Key's face.

Key is lucky this time. His parents aren't around and he has the house to himself. Once he's in, he locks the door and angrily throws his bag on the floor. He kneels before it to it and look for his pen and paper. He rushes to his room and locks himself there, blasting loud hip hop music, trying to incorporate the beats he hears to the beats he's writing. Through music and writing, he can vent out his frustrations and produce art.

Key is not afraid to admit that he doesn't have a lot of friends. In fact, Minho and Raina are his only friends and he's not even sure if Raina is really his friend. For all he knows, Raina's just riding along with Minho because as I've said, she cannot live without him. Key finds her annoying, though. He hates the fact that a girl like Raina is so dependent on Minho. Key cannot stand dependence because Key himself has experienced independence when he ran away from home once. Key often wishes to be alone.

What Key wants, Key sometimes doesn't get.

His parents arrive home. And Key is still blasting rap music in his room. He knows how much his parents hate it when he plays loud, hip-hop music. He shuts it off and keeps everything. He fixes his room and pretends to be asleep. He drank two bottles of soju and will be dead if his dad finds out. Key places the blanket over his body and shuts his eyes not so tightly so as not to look as if he's just faking his sleep. His parents enter the house and hell starts to break loose.

"KIBUM! KIBUM!" his drunk and angry mother calls. Key hears this but refuses to get up. Despite being a brave soul, he can feel his heart pounding at the sound of his name.

"KIBUM! WHERE ARE YOU! IF YOU DON'T COME DOWN THIS INSTANT I WILL BE FORCED TO GO UP THERE AND DRAG YOU BY YOUR MOHAWK! COME DOWN HERE YOU LITTLE PUNK!" Key didn't have a Mohawk on that day. His mother surely doesn't know or care about him.

"KIBUM!" his father yells. "COME DOWN NOW!" Key still won't budge but is really nervous now. His parents can't take anymore of his unresponsiveness. They go up and walk towards Key's room. The bust the door open and are surprised with what they see.

"Kibum is asleep. No wonder he's not answering." says the father. Key just waits for his parents to leave his room before waking up. The father and mother exit the room and bang his door. Key cringes in his sleep.

PART FIVE:

If there's one boy that's really different from the rest, I mean, in terms of attitude, it's got to be the boy from the Arts Department. He's just quiet, much like most artists who are introverts. He doesn't have that many friends despite being a student in this school for more than 5 years. I guess he just chooses to be that way. I think he's one of the enlightened ones. One of those who actually think and know that there are no more good or decent students left here.

I've seen his works before. They're really nice. Once you see them, you wouldn't say that it was made by a young man. You'd say that it was made by an artist-a professional one. I'd say he's gifted.

Kim Hyun Joong. One of the few decent and talented students in our school. Geez.

I'm quite fond of this guy to be honest with you. He's classmates with my friend Ji Yeon, who's also a quiet artist. Most of the Arts Department students are quiet and decent. I guess in this school, it's automatic that if you're decent, you've got to be either a writer or an artist. Fortunately, that is true. Hyun Joong and Ji Yeon are proofs.

Kim Hyun Joong is working on a new masterpiece. He's currently painting something spectacular that the teacher will post on their wall later on.

"Alright class! Please start wrapping your things up! Today's class is about to end!" says Mr. Jung. Most of the students aren't done with their works yet but when Mr. Jung walks around to check on them, he sees Kim Hyun Joong sitting quietly on his stool, staring at his work.

"Are you finished with your artwork, Mr. Kim?" asks the art teacher. Being the quiet boy that he is, Hyun Joong nods. Mr. Jung crosses his arms in front of his chest and grins.

"Then leave yours behind." he says. Hyun Joong smiles slightly and picks his things up. Ji Yeon-my good friend Ji Yeon-looks at him and smiles. Hyun Joong looks her way and smiles back but turns his head once more to focus on the things he is packing. Ji Yeon looks down in embarrassment as well. I know a little something about Ji Yeon. I'm just going to make this a cliffhanger and leave it for you guys to find out later in the story.

Not much about Hyun Joong, though. He's honestly the most normal guy I know. Most decent even.

Or maybe it's because I don't know him that well yet.

PART SIX:

Well, it's come to this. The moment you've been waiting for…not really. If you're really wondering who the hell has been narrating this thing, then wait no longer. Wonder no longer.

The narrator of this piece of is me. Tiffany Hwang Mi Young.

I'm Tiffany. I've been a student here since I don't know when. I'm a writer, as I've said. Much like the artists, writers like me are introverted, meaning they prefer to work alone. They value personal space. I value my personal space. That's why I only have one friend that's Ji Yeon. We're both…I don't know, alienated in this school. We have our own world. Obliterated. Isolated. We do our own things and we don't care if people mind us or not. We prefer to hold our own parties, our own meetings, and our own get togethers if you can call it that since we're just two. But it's okay with me and I'm damn sure that it's alright with Ji Yeon. Otherwise, she wouldn't be joining me in my alien escapades.

Why did I choose writing? It's the only thing I'm good at besides singing but I'm not really that confident. I don't have the confidence to sing in front of a crowd. I have horrible stage fright that if you put me on stage, I will get all stiff and I won't move a muscle.

If you're curious about my background, let me tell you that my background is nothing but boring. I've been writing since I was a kid, I prefer it over singing or dancing, and I've been isolated since 1989. I never really had a "best friend". Ji Yeon is not really my best friend. She's just someone who's like me and is longing for a companion. I knew I needed to be with someone so I met up with Ji Yeon and we clicked. But I don't believe that Ji Yeon is my best friend. One day we will move on and Ji Yeon will find another friend that's better and more interesting than me and when that friend of hers asks her "Who was your friend when you were in that Arts School?" she'll answer, "I don't really remember. I think I didn't have one."

I have an adopted sister who's really considering this school. Seo Joo Hyun. I don't know when, how, where, and why my parents adopted her, but I've got to say she's got potential. Seohyun, as I call her, is a very good singer. I'd hear her sing every single day and although it makes my ears bleed, her voice is immaculate and I wouldn't doubt it one bit if she got into this school. Seohyun is friendlier than me. She has a group of girlfriends at her school whereas I never even experienced being with more than one person. Maybe it's because Seohyun is the favorite daughter, that's why she's so confident. She knows she's loved and appreciated. I mean hello! When we were kids, my parents would make her sing at each and every single party we attended. And as for me? My parents never even read a single story that I wrote. How sad.

Now that you know the history of the six key people (myself included), let the story begin.