New kid

Orphans Under the Mistletoe

You got up and hit your alarm clock with a satisfying thud, tip toed out of the room you shared with two others and walked down the length of the hallway to the bathroom. After washing your face and doing your best to disguise the fact that you looked (and felt) like a zombie, you wandered down to the kitchen to make breakfast. It was 6:00am, a normal start for you. Being the eldest in the orphanage the other kids usually looked to you for help when the woman in charge was busy; which was most of the time. You trudged over to the cupboard and pulled out a loaf of bread to make some toast and five minutes later you had your toast with jam and a cup of tea ready. Being sixteen is usually a time when girls like yourself, can have fun, enjoy life and think about things like boys and have normal teenage problems; like school or fighting with your parents. Only you couldn’t do things like school because you were needed at the orphanage so did your learning there and of course you couldn’t fight with your parents, for the reason that  you were reminded of every waking moment in that place; they were dead.

A sudden knock on the door interrupted your thoughts, *who the hell could that be at this hour of the morning?* you wondered sleepily as you walked to the rickety, old front door. You looked down at yourself, you were still in your PJ’s and your long brown hair was probably still a mess but what did you care? If whoever it was expected some maid perfectly dressed complete with your hair in a bun and wearing a white apron over a black dress, they would be sadly disappointed. So without another thought, you tied you hair in a high ponytail and opened the door.

The first thing you noticed was that it was raining lightly and the pair outside the door was standing under an umbrella. They were a man in a suit with a boy close to your own age, he had s suit case and your heart clenched. *So he’s an orphan too, huh…* “Please come in, its cold outside” you said with a small smile. The pair shuffled inside and you offered them a seat, the older started to speak “This is Yang Yoseob, he will be joining you here as of today so please take good care of him” you nodded in response. Yoseob had blonde hair, warm brown eyes and was actually (now that you bothered looking) very handsome. His body was lean and he was a few inches taller than you, he wore a plain white v-neck shirt and a pair of loose jeans with a pair of slightly battered converse.

“Is there anything else sir?” you asked the man (Yoseob was obviously uncomfortable with him around) the man sat in thought for a moment and then shook his head. “Don’t worry, we’ll take good care of him” you said with a smile and you opened the door for him, he opened his umbrella once more and stepped outside making his way to his car. You didn’t even wait till he’d driven away before you closed the door and muttered to yourself “I hate those people” not expecting Yoseob to hear, much less reply; “Yeah, me too” You walked over to your plate of toast and you noticed Yoseob looking at the food, “Yoseob, would you like some breakfast?” you asked, “Sure” he replied in a hollow voice. *He could stand to use some manners but oh well…*you thought as you picked up the bread, “Did you want some toast?” you said, looking at the boy, “Uh, yeah…thanks” he mumbled. You grinned “Um, I hope you don’t mind jam, since there’s not that much else” and he just nodded before resting his head on his arms.

*He looks so worn out, poor guy, he’s probably still in shock* you spread the jam on two slices of toast and put them on a plate in front of him, he didn’t stir. He was asleep, “Yoseob, hey Yoseob?” you called softly. You gently shook his arm and he moved his head a little before lifting his face. “Whoa!” he flinched a bit when he saw your face so close to his, you laughed at his reaction “Sorry, you wouldn’t wake up and I figured you wouldn’t appreciate it if I let your breakfast go cold” *Wow! His reaction was sooo cute!* you squealed in your head and you couldn’t help but grin. Yoseob was too lost in his own thoughts to catch your grin, *Whoa, I didn’t really notice before, but she’s really pretty…* and you looked up just in time to see Yoseob staring at you. He looked away quickly; you blushed and let out a quiet giggle. “I’m Allison by the way” and he simply smirked while eating his toast.

Mrs Lee was the lady of the orphanage; she was stern but always fair and thanks to her, you felt happy again. She became your mother when you were brought to live there, but it was too late for her to treat you like a nine year old; you weren’t a child anymore. By the time you made it to the orphanage you had already grown up, upon seeing you she felt bad; you had grown up too fast and now it would be impossible for you to be a child again. But despite you traumatic experience you settled in quickly and even when you were nine you were still the oldest child there, so from then on you learnt to help Mrs Lee around the place and you became like a big sister to all the other kids. They loved you, but you could never quite fill the hole in your heart left by your mum and dad.

At that moment Mrs Lee herself came down the steps, “Good morning Allison, who was at the door?” she asked and you nodded our head towards Yoseob, “A man came and dropped him off, he’s new here” you replied blandly. Mrs Lee sighed and turned to him, giving him a heart warming smile and said “I hope you can grow to like it here, we promise to take care of you. You’ve already met Allison, she’s been the eldest ever since she came here seven years ago, so if you need anything be sure to ask her ok? I’m sure you two will get along just fine” Yoseob gave a strained smile that didn’t seem real, but Mrs Lee knew a genuine smile was a lot to ask from a new orphan. Yoseob finished his toast and you took his plate “Mrs Lee, could you show him to his room? I’m sure the others will be coming down soon and I’ll need to help with breakfast” you said, Mrs Lee nodded; she had always been thankful for your help with the kids and so she ushered Yoseob up the stairs without another word.

Yoseob followed the woman up the flight of stairs and was lead down a hallway, at the third door on the left; she stopped and motioned for him to go in. He noticed there was a bunk bed, “So I’m rooming here?” he asked, “Yes, I hope you don’t mind sharing the room” she said tentatively, “No, its fine” ha answered and she breathed an inward sigh of relief. There honestly weren’t enough rooms for any more people but they would have to make room, now she would have to tell the twins that they were moving rooms.

Meanwhile you were downstairs with said twins and the other children, the twins; Kwangmin and Youngmin, were twelve and two of your favourite kids there. They were funny, sweet and kind. You loved them like family; the other kids with you at the moment ranged from seven to fourteen and were totally absorbed in their food. Yoseob came back downstairs with Mrs Lee and she called the twins over. The twins reluctantly put their food down and went over to join the middle aged woman. You couldn’t hear what she was saying but when she was done, the two boys went upstairs *what’s going on?* you thought. Yoseob had sat down in a chair and pulled out a magazine he had, he stared blankly at the pages, probably not even reading.

That day went very quickly for you, but you were exhausted! You hadn’t seen Yoseob since dinner about an hour ago but he couldn’t have been further from your mind than at that moment. You opened your door and trudged in, only to be greeted by a shirtless boy; a shirtless Yoseob to be precise! He looked at the ground and stammered “W-What are you doing here?” you looked at him confused “Uh, this is my room that I share with the twins…” *wait, Mrs Lee was talking to them about something at breakfast…it couldn’t be that-* “But Mrs Lee said I’m sleeping here, but she did say I was sharing with someone…” Your jaw was slack, you sharing a room with Yoseob!? As if on cue, Mrs Lee stuck her head in the door and you turned to her “Are you out of your mind?? You’re making me; the only girl, share a room with him!” Mrs Lee laughed, “Well all the others were too nervous to share a room with him, I guess they thought he was intimidating” this caused you to scoff. How in the world could anyone find him intimidating? He didn’t look like the friendliest guy in the world right now, but he was definitely cute! Mrs Lee saw your accusing look and brushed it off, “Well goodnight you two” she chirped as she left the room, leaving you with the shirtless blonde.