Sooyoung and Kris || Night and Day

Christmas All Over The World

Sooyoung loved Canada a lot.

                She loved the change in scenery and all that. But if there was one thing she didn’t like much about it, it was the big difference in time zone between Vancouver and Seoul. It was now evening in Vancouver with the stars glittering beautifully in the sky and the moon making an appearance for the night. In fact, it was already way past midnight – Christmas Eve. The turkey, roasted vegetables, Christmas Cake, Mince pies and other delicacies had been consumed and guests already left hours ago. Now everyone was asleep, anticipating the Christmas morning and the opening of gifts.

Well, it was everyone… except her.

                Sooyoung grumbled under hear breath, making sure it was soft enough so that she wouldn’t wake Kris up, who was sleeping so soundly beside her. He was lucky he was so used to jetlag that it no longer bothered him. She turned so that she was facing Kris; the brunette silently studying her husband’s peaceful face. It was their first Christmas together as a married couple and despite his protests, she had insisted on coming home to his family in Vancouver for the holidays. It did mean that she was going to be away from her own family but it was a small sacrifice compared to the many days, weeks, months, years he had spent away from his.

                The memory of how his face looked when they had arrived in the airport for the flight to Canada brought a smile to her face. He had never been selfish with her and that showed when he, at first, refused to head home. But the excitement and happiness on his face was priceless when the reality had sunk in when they arrived in the airport. Kris looked like such a kid that Sooyoung knew she had made the right choice.

                She let out a quiet sigh as she faced the ceiling once more. The jetlag was keeping her from joining her husband in dreamland and she was getting bored just lying there in the dark. Sooyoung flicked a glance at the alarm clock on the bedside table. 4:09 am. It had been almost an hour since they went to bed following Christmas Eve celebration. Few more minutes of this boredom and she was positively sure she would go nuts.

                Sighing quietly yet again, she her side; her eyes falling on her purse. Thinking that she could play games on her phone for now, her eyes suddenly widened, remembering another important thing she had inside her bag. A few days before they left, some of her friends, through the leadership of one Kim Heechul, had taken it upon themselves to put her through a workshop of sorts. Kyungsoo, Yixing, Ryeowook, and Victoria had taken turns teaching her western holiday food; Heechul and Jessica contributing by printing the recipes out for her and compiling them to be brought to Canada with her.

                Feeling suddenly excited with her new idea, she made sure drop a feather-light kiss on the cheek of her husband before she silently and carefully leaving the bed, taking her purse with her. As discreetly as she could, she crept out of the bedroom, going down the stairs step by step and hoping that she wouldn’t fall flat on her face in the dark. Sooyoung was certain that the kitchen and pantry were both well stocked and she wouldn’t have trouble finding what she needed.

                Flicking the lights on as soon as she was inside the kitchen, the first order of business was to study the recipes she had with her. Taking the papers out of the bag, she looked at them one by one, deciding which would be perfect for Christmas Breakfast. Keeping in mind what her husband would like, as well as her in-laws should they wish to come over for breakfast, Sooyoung decided to cook Panettone French Toast with Mixed Berries, Breakfast Buschetta, Ham and Spinach Omelette, Sausage Casserole and Cranberry Spiced Muffins. It was a lot but it should be enough to keep her busy.

                Setting all her ingredients and materials on the counter, a determined smile crossed her face as she looked at the amount of the work she had to get done. Grabbing the apron hanging by the door, she put it on and tied the ribbon behind her back. Now she was ready.

She could only hope that she was going to do everything right.

o-o-o-o-o

                Slowly but surely, the sunlight crept past the curtains and into the bedroom, reaching the bed inch by inch. As the stream of sunlight hit his face, Kris flinched at its brightness and squeezed his eyes shut in attempts to block it. Turning to his other side, he blindly reached for his wife; surprise coursing through him when all he felt was the cold mattress. Slowly opening his eyes and letting it readjust to the light, he gave a quick glance at the clock. 7:19 am, Christmas morning.

                Sitting up and scratching the sleep off his eyes, Kris looked around in search for Sooyoung. The lights in the bathroom were turned off and the door to the balcony was locked. Running a hand through his hair, he got out of the bed, grabbing his bedroom slippers from under the bed. Pulling a jacket over his cold frame, he opened the door of the bedroom, not expecting the sudden hit of mouth-watering aromas to hit him.

                Curiosity reigned over and he swiftly went down the stairs; his jaw dropping when a table full of freshly cooked Christmas dishes greeted him. It wasn’t hard to figure out that she had trouble sleeping last night and decided to cook breakfast; Kris scratching the back of his head as he wondered when she learned to cook everything on the table. Though that realization revealed plenty, it didn’t tell him where his wife was. Deciding to check around the house, Kris went straight to living room, finding his wife asleep on the sofa with a blanket over her body.

                A soft smile crossed his face as he knelt before the sofa, watching the peaceful rise and fall of her body. He reached a finger out and gently traced a line from her cheek to the corner of her lips and his smile grew wider. Sooyoung was such an angel and he was thankful that she was his.

“Merry Christmas, baby.” He whispered.

With that, he carefully got on the sofa, lying down behind her as he pulled her sleeping form close to his; her back pressing against his chest. Wrapping an arm around her waist and tugging on the blanket so that it covered both of them, Kris let out a sigh as he closed his eyes and went back to sleep.

A smile of her own crossed Sooyoung’s face.

 


Prompt: Canada

 

Happy Holidays to all Ninjas out there!