Chapter 1 Servant Status Confirmed

The Rightful Heir

Present day....

At a noodle shop we are reintroduced to a 16 year old Evey.  Dark brown wavy hair with gray eyes and light skin and tortoise shell rimmed glasses.  She is wearing skinny dark jeans, hot pink boat neck tee, and cream colored vans with a pink flowery apron.  She greets customers kindly and is shy upon taking their order.  The shop is filled with students and teachers alike, it sits next to the prep school and a premier hotspot for youth due to the karaoke bar next door.  Sensei Kiyo was a good friend of Evey's mother and has taken care of her since her mother's death.  

Kiyo suggests that Evey finish school and has her take the entrance exam at Seoul Prep.  She excels and is admitted as a senior, with a scholarship, despite being a year younger than those attending.  Her first day of school is tomorrow, and must wear the  gray and burgundy/turqouis piping uniform with skirt...and her own sweatpants underneath.

Entering the noodle shop is Luhan, followed by Jongin and two of their friends. Sehun and Lay.  Sehun and Lay are from prominant families and own some shares of K Conglomerate.  Sehun is knowledgable of stocks, racing, banking, etc.  His family owns portions of Jeju island and his mom is a popular designer, he is a leader in fashion and does modeling on the side.  Lay owns a chain of popular hotels, restaurants, clubs, expensive real estates, and is an avid dancer.

Everyone stares at the 4 upon entering the shop.  They smile, greet their "fans," except Jongin who is ice cold.  Evey recognized him immediately, he makes eye contact and simply yells out his order at her.  The others follow.  Sehun notices Evey, elbows Luhan and Luhan looks at her up and down when she turns to tell the chef their order.  They joke about how good looking she is from behind but laughs as soon as she turns around.  Evey has powder on her hair from the ribbons of noodles hanging in the chef's corner of the shop and her glasses are too big for her face and is falling off her nose.  She looked like a mess, unlike any of the girls the guys are used too.  (She throws her apron on the ground, removes her glasses, and kicks both guys off their chairs...then she snaps out of it...it was only in her head).  Lay breaks their laughter towards Evey and says that she is obviously poor and can't afford to dress herself up so they need to go easy on her.  He winks at Evey, and she quickly lowers her head, blushing, and diminishing her desire to kick the guys' handsome faces.  

He speaks!  "Ya!  Could you hurry up with the order!"  Evey walks towards Jongin gives him a hug and tells him she misses him.  Jongin smiles and tells her the same thing, and he hopes they can continue their friendship from when they were young.  Ding!  "Order up!"  Evey snaps out of it, Jongin glares at her, then mumbles that she's weird.  The others laugh.  

 

First day of school, no uniform, no friends, no family, no history...

Others stare at Evey as she enters the building heading to her first class.  Whispers of scholarship student echo the hallway.  Snickers, jeers, and glares chop her confidence of what could have been a great day and start of her new school life.  The classroom she enters is of the top class, S-1...super class.  The richest, brightest, and most influential are in this class...And a scholarship student has entered.  Not only that, but they recognize her as the noodle shop girl, a servant, of low class and status.  She takes her seat to the back.

Girls flood the classroom with gifts in hand and the four enter the room in slow motion.  Evey looks around, "where's the wind coming from when the windows are down?" she said to herself.  The girls part like the red sea and the guys take their seat.  Luhan and Lay are loving the attention, Sehun is already kissing the cheek of one girl who then fainted, Jongin walks stoically to his seat, brushing off admirers with one ice cold glare.  They leave their gifts and leave the room.  Some remain and take their seat.  Jongin throws all his gifts at the guys...the assistant teacher walks in smiling at Jongin.  He gives her a smirk back.

"We have a new student.  Apparently she earned a perfect score on the exam, that hasn't been done since Jongin took the test as a freshman."  She winks at him.  He looks away, annoyed.  She asks Evey to introduce herself: name, age, country of origin,  family, etc.  "Hana Aidou. 16. Seoul but raised in Tokyo. Umm, no, uh, biological family."  She was a year younger than her classmates, something else they will about.  Evey was adopted by Sensei Kiyou and taken his surname after her mother died.  

Class talked about  the Josen period, caste system, and then free time.  Evey put her earbuds on and let herself forget about school life for a few minutes.  Opening her cranberry juice, she took a sip and smiled looking out the window.  She sees the red slide on the hillside of the elementary school of the academy.  Remembering  her and Jongin made her happy.  Then she felt, chilly all of a sudden.  On her lap was the red cranberry juice and looking down at her was the most prettiest girl in the school, Yuri.  "Oops." And she walked away.  Others laughed and Jongin stared with a disgusting look.  Her legs were covered with juice, it was embarrassing.  She ran out to the restroom and when she returned the dismissal chime rang and students rushed out.  The teacher yelled at her for being clumsy and made her clean the white floors until the stain was gone.  

Jongin was stopped by the teacher as he was walking towards the door.  She asked him how he was doing, flirting like crazy.  Evey was watching and the assistant glared at her for listening to their conversation and screamed at her to leave immediately.  

Heading to gym class she heard the snickers of her classmates.  For five days straight, her classmates taunted her.  She remembered the slide and the hill she used to run to whenever she wanted to be alone.  She ran and ran and tears fell down...the moment she reached the top she collapsed.  And stared at the sun and clouds, losing herself in the moment.  She reached for her pocket watch, opened it and saw the photo of Lady K and her mom when they were her age, If only she can go back to that time.  They probably had it much easier.  She closed her eyes for a moment...

"Booooonnnnnggggg!" Evey shot up and in front of her was the teacher assistant Yoona holding a large bell.  Yelling at her for skipping class and laying here like an idiot and making S-1 class look dumb and ruining their rep.  "Ya! Are you ever going to stop yelling?!"  Lying on the slide, with one arm blocking the sun from hitting his gorgeous eyes, was Jongin.  He looked like a model, preparing for a photoshoot.  The sun looked good on him.

Yoona bowed excessively and apologized.  She grabbed Evey's head and forced her to bow also even though it wasn't her fault at all.  Jongin jumped off the slide approached Evey and said, "Hana Aidou, know your place.  Don't think you are one of us.  Find your position and quickly lower your head as to not make eye contact.  This is how you should be amongst us, scholarship student."  He walked away.  Yoona gave her a devilish smile, and ran after Jongin.  "What happened to you?" she whispered towards Jongin.  She was alone, and hurt, straight to the bones.