Chapter 2 "Know your place."

The Rightful Heir

At Jongin's Estate...

"Once Jongin comes of age your son will have the most shares of the company."
"True, but I also have my wife's shares.  So that makes me the dominant owner of K Conglomerate.  With your share brother and mine share, our family can hold on to the company forever."
"But do you own your wife's share?  The will is not to be touched until Jongin's 19th birthday.  Only then will you know.  What if she declares Jongin all her shares?"
"He is my son, I will still be president.  I will let him have the VP position and he can continue to study, overseas.  It is a win win for our family, regardless of the will."

K mall...

'Know your place.'  Those words by Jongin resonated through her veins.  What happened to him?  What happened to the kind boy Evey grew up with?  "What's wrong with me?   Why would I still love this kind of guy?" Evey said to herself.  Perhaps she hopes that an inkling of the boy she knew still resided in him.  Perhaps the kindness and warmth from Lady K was there, buried deep within his heart and is just waiting to come out?  "'Know your place.'  He sneered it at me. Perhaps I need to rethink this one-sided love..."

The K mall was huge.  She heard that if you were lucky enough to work at the VVIP section you get free stuff.  Crossing her fingers she gave her resume and application to the well dressed secretary behind the elaborate silver desk who then handed it to the store manager who was even more well-dressed.  "Wow!  Seoul Prep, huh? Impressive.  Says here you are working at a noodle shop next to the academy?  Wait here for a few minutes."  Evey was standing next to a giant statue of a lion, the emblem of the K Conglomerate.  She remembered Lady K's collection of big cat statues in her large dressing room.  

Looking below her was a view of the carpark VVIP entrance.  Arriving in a black Lamborghini was Jongin with Lay.  Followed behind him was Luhan's Porsche with Sehun hollering at some VVIP socialites waiting for their cars as hostesses held their bags of purses and shoes.  The girls were giggling, enjoying the attention of Seoul Prep's finest and richest.  "They are underage!!" EV screamed to herself, giggling too.  "OK, your boss raved about you.  I am going to hire you on the spot.  The fact that you can speak Japanese and Korean as well as English is a huge plus too.  Let's get you that uniform.  Can you start tonight?"

The dress she wore was the most beautiful thing she's ever worn.  "This is a uniform?  Ah!  This job is going to be fun!"  Her dress was navy, with a sillouette of black velour flowers.  It was a baby doll style with a high neckline and a lightly ruffled top.  The top tied from the back of the neck and the silk ribbon laid on her neck.  The cashmere cardigan was small and fitted, just enough to cover her slightly , shoulders and arms.  It hit midway to her torso.  Just above the waist, the dress pleated out, showing a rippling, fit and flare effect on the skirt as the length hit above the knee.  Her black shoes were high heeled Mary Janes, perfect for the 50's look.  Lady K had great fashion sense, this must have been one of her ideas.  Evey's hair was done up and gathered to a loose ballerina bun atop her head.  She had minimal tendrils brushing her face and she put on light makeup with a soft pink gloss.  Her glasses, still too big on her face was, well, too big on her face.  Oh well, this is as good as it gets.  

Leaving the dressing room, Jessica stopped her and smiled, "You look great, now what can we do about those glasses?" She lead Evey to their eyewear department and told the assistant that she needed contact lenses.  30 minutes later Evey was fitted with contacts and her glasses were in a case at the button of her bag.  "Let's get you oriented."  Jessica led her into the VVIP pantry where all the hosts and hostesses were waiting for their shift to begin.  On the wall were faces with names and profiles of clientelles, the VVIP.  The top 20 were of the families that owned K Conglomerate or shares of the company and other important, rich clients.  The first was the late Lady K herself, then Jongin was number 2, followed by Lady K's late mother and father, then Jongin's father, then Luhan's father and mother, followed by Luhan and his little brother Baekhyun.  After them the list continued with a man who seemed familiar (his profile said, lawyer to Kim family). Then followed by Sehun's parents, Sehun himself and his sister Jessica, then Lay's parents and Lay himself and his two sisters.  The rest were top customers.  These were the people the hosts and hostesses needed to recognize and know as soon as they walk in.  They are to be treated with the utmost care.  They should never have to wait for anything or anyone.

Jongin.  He was so handsome.  He always had that deep stare.  That mysterious look in his eyes, always observing and calculating, analyzing.  Commotion ensued as the ladies in the shift began to enter the lounge and care for their clients.  There was excitement in the atmosphere due to Jongin's arrival.  The four were shopping for new suits for the upcoming gala to celebrate Lady K's birthday.  Jessica ordered the ladies to take their positions, Evey was instructed to just observe from the observation window at the front of the hostess pantry.  She would check on her as soon as the guys settle in the lounge.  

Jessica jokingly older brother and his friends.  She ordered a few hostesses to get food and drinks.  The large VVIP dressing room was almost ready for the guys to enter and try on the suits gathered for them.  The eight hostesses helping them were ecstatic to be in the same room as these guys.  Jessica looked at Evey through the observation window, even though she really couldn't see Evey she knew she'd be watching, she signaled her to enter and to prop open the dressing room doors.  

Evey entered the room nervous.  At first she was thinking her classmates would see her, especially Jongin.  But then she thought again, "Chill out Evey, he's not into you, not then, not now, not ever.  Know your place." All thoughts of Jongin were wiped clean, it's time to simply concentrate on this job.  "If you are the servant, I guess he would be the master. Know my place." Sadness filled EV's heart, and as she turned to finish propping the door for the VVIP's to enter, a tear dropped from her eye and rolled down her face.  The reality sunk in.  "I am the servant, nothing more, nothing less. Know my place." Snap!  Her cheap elastic around her hair broke and her hair fell down.