Chapter 3

2KL (To Kindness and Love)

“Sung-Hee, do you take this man to be your husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honour and keep him, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?”

The tender smile that already perfected the face of the woman in the wedding dress seemed to radiate even more.

“I do.”

“And Junhyung, do you take this woman to be your wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honour and keep her, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?”

“I do.”

“In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, I pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.”


“Waaaaaah~” BoA’s incoherent squeal resounded, even making a few of the guests sitting at neighbouring tables turn their heads.

“Unnie…you’re attracting too much attention.”

“BUT IT WAS SO SWEET, JIEUN-AH~”

Donghae looked up from his laptop and smiled at them from the other side of the table especially reserved for the four of them, only for his eyes to drift to his left; facing the empty chair there.

“Hello everyone~”

The trio looked up to face the woman in the beautiful wedding dress.

“Oh my Gooood!” BoA squealed once more, though not as loudly as before to preserve her remaining dignity. “Congratulations Sung-Hee-sshi~”

“Thank you very much…it was all possible because of your four-” However, the bride stopped herself as soon as she realised the empty chair beside the man with glasses. “Eh, where’s Jonghyun-sshi?”

“He’s here with us spiritually today,” Donghae replied almost robotically, “Something came up, so he wanted us to convey our congrats for him.”

“That’s a pity. I really wanted to find some way to thank you all with more than just words, and considering, you all seem to look up to him, it would have been proper to thank him first.”

The three of them gave each other a knowing smile before Donghae faced the bride again. “I sort of have a feeling he’ll show up one way or another though.”

“Well I hope you’re right…” Sung-Hee sighed sadly. “Now if only one other person were here…” At that moment, it was apparent that her smile no longer reached her eyes. “Anyway, I really am thankful to you all so much, but I have to go entertain the other guests.”

“Of course!” BoA exclaimed. “Go, shoo! We can’t be the only ones you show off that beauty to.”

“You’re flattering me.”

“On the contrary,” Jieun spoke up. “She never flatters. You look very beautiful, Sung-Hee-sshi.”

“Thank you, but alas, I must part.”

BoA began to tear up (acting, of course). “We’ll miss you!”

Sung-Hee patted her before parting. As soon as her attention was focused on other guests, however, BoA and Jieun faced Donghae.

“Is it all set up?”

“I think so,” he replied. “He said he’d tell me when-” But just then, his phone vibrated in his pocket. “Must be him.” He checked the text message.

Hyung, everything’s set up here. You’ll be using our laptop, right? Want to make sure Skype is working before you project it? I’m online.

He smiled before quickly switching over to his laptop to log onto Skype. As soon as he was online, a request for a video call came in for him. Accepting, his screen was immediately illuminated with a close up view of Jonghyun’s face.

“Hey guys!!!” He greeted enthusiastically, waving both hands as well.

“Jonghyun~” BoA wanted to hug the screen, but restrained herself, though her two companions could tell that she badly wanted to for even being gone for a mere 24-hour period, she missed him dearly…she just didn’t really show it half the time.

“Hey, oppa.”
“Yo, Jonghyun.”

Donghae and Jieun said simultaneously.

“Hyung, how much longer til show time?”

“I think the actual introductions and what not will start in a minute or two.” He said, eye-ing down at the bottom-right corner of his computer screen for the time. “I’m sure you put our money to good use then.”

“Pft who do you think I am?”

The three of them rolled their eyes, but turned to hear a voice resound through the room via speaker system. The emcee began with the simple welcome, and after a few moments, Sung-Hee walked up to the stand with her husband, taking the microphone after briefly hugging the emcee, who happened to be her bridesmaid as well.

“Thank you very much, every one of you who took the time and witness out special moment.” Sung-Hee blushed slightly while saying that, and Junhyung beside her merely beamed a smile whilst placing his hands around her shoulders. “I know everyone usually hates these intros, so we’ll make it quick. I would like introduce my best friend in the world, Min-Hee!”

The crowd clapped as the two woman hugged each other. Min-Hee took the microphone from her.

“HEY EVERYONE~”

The remaining trio became shocked at that greeting.

“Is she…?”

“…no way…”

“…a female Jonghyun.”

They all whispered.

“As many of you know, I’m the honoured best friend of this awesome girl here~” She directed everyone’s attention to the bride. “BUT!” dramatic pause. “NONE of this would have been possible without the amazing people of those people OVER THERE!” She pointed towards the trio near the corner as everyone directed their attention to them, clapping as loudly as possible. “You guys have no idea how much they’ve managed to do. These curtains were custom made. The reservations as well as catering made flawlessly, and all on a limited budget. This type of event wouldn’t have taken place without them, so please, once again.” The crowd roared even more loudly. “Now, would one of you please come up and exchange a few words with us.”

BoA took the stage as well as the microphone that was handed to her. “Thank you all for the applause, but to those of you who know us, you know that’s how we are. We’ll do anything in our power to help.” She smiled, seeing that much of the crowd was nodding their head. “Anyway, Sung-Hee-sshi.” She directed her attention towards the bride, who now looked at her questioningly. “I know you wanted to thank all four of us, but since Jonghyun is missing, that was kind of impossible…until now. He’s actually on! He wanted to give you his congrats himself.”

Donghae pressed the enter button his laptop, immediately broadcasting his previously quiet skype with Jonghyun onto the projector on the far side of the room.

“HI EVERYONE~”

The typical Jonghyun greeting made almost every single person in the room jump, but nonetheless, it was a pleasant surprise.

“SUNG-HEE-NOONAAAA~” he sang out. “I can call you that, right? Anyway. CONGRATULATIONS!”

The entire room laughed as Sung-Hee muttered a thank you whilst her cheeks heated up.

“But I’m not the only one here that wants to congratulate you. Hopefully you’ll welcome this person as well, she hasn’t seen you in a while.” Jonghyun manoeuvred the camera to his left, causing Sung-Hee to gasp.

“Halmeoni?!” (Grandma?!)


Two weeks before the wedding, when Jonghyun made sure that Junhyung wouldn’t see his bride in her wedding gown at any one point, they had ended up eating at a rather run-down but still booming restaurant in which they received many stares from the surrounding crowd due to the fact that two handsome men had walked in with each other, and they probably thought they were gay lovers…or something. Nonetheless, they ignored most of the stares and ordered lunch as usual, and it was a rather relaxing silence between them (of course, because the entire area was loud and rowdy) until a resonant sigh escaped Junhyung’s lips.

“Eh?” Jonghyun managed to hum with a spoonful still in his mouth. After swallowing. “What’s wrong, hyung?”

“The wedding’s coming up, obviously, but I still can’t seem to make Sung-Hee happy.”

“What do you mean?”

Junhyung hesitated at first, but nonetheless, sighed as he began to explain. “When Sung-Hee was still a child, and we were still living in the country side, she didn’t really have many friends, and I was one of the few-”

“You two are childhood sweethearts?! THAT’S SO SWEET~” Jonghyun began squealing, attracting even more attention to their table.

“YAH, QUIT SHOUTING!”

“YOU’RE SHOUTING TOO!”

“Fine fine, continue. …It’s still adorable though.”

Junhyung successfully hid a blush as he continued.

“Because her mother passed away at a young age, the one that she really relied on as the maternal figure was her grandmother that did everything for her, even as so much to encourage her to pursue a new life here in Seoul.”

“I see…”

“But that grandmother has become sickly now. She wanted so much to-”

But he was interrupted by Jonghyun’s gasp.

“YOU MEAN HER ONE TRUE HERO ISN’T EVEN ABLE TO WITNESS HER WEDDING?!”

“QUIT INTERRUPTING, DAMN IT!”

“YOU’RE THE ONE TELLING A SAD STORY!”

“YOU’RE SO DAMN LOUD!”

The two got kicked out of the restaurant. People still thought they were gay lovers, but having an argument.

--

Jonghyun smiled as he watched the elderly woman constantly congratulating the woman in a wedding dress on the screen. Sung-Hee, obviously unable to contain her tears, was crying to the extent that her speech  was difficult to understand, but it was obvious that she was extremely happy at that moment.

“Halmeoni.” Junhyung began to speak. “We promise to come visit you soon. We’re finally getting settled here.”

“Thank you Junghyung. You’ve turned into a wonderful young man. Thank you so much for taking care of Sung-Hee.”


Two weeks later, the group was sitting in their open garage eating lunch as they usually did when Jonghyun, as per usual, began with a loud shout while jumping up from his seat.

“GUYS, WE NEED A NAME FOR OUR GROUP!”

The three looked at him almost baffled, and with even funnier expressions since the three of them had their cheeks still stuffed with food.

“…Okay?” Jieun managed first.

Though BoA quickly followed after. “HELL YEAH, WE NEED A NAME!”

“WHAT SHOULD WE NAME IT, NOONA?!”

“I DON’T KNOW!”

“BRAINSTORM MODE!”

And the two basically bonked their foreheads together with their eyes closed, seemingly in full concentration. You could possible even see the jolts of electricity traveling through the membranes…or perhaps that’s just what Donghae was imagining as he was deadpanning at the scene. However, he too swallowed his food and spoke.

“Funny you should mention that. I actually got an interesting email from Junhyung since he constantly wanted to thank us for the wedding. Actually he wanted to thank you the most, since you even went all the way to visit Sung-Hee’s grandmother.”

-brainstorm mode deactivated-

“Eh, what email hyung?” Jonghyun and BoA both sat back down.

“Something about him having studied in the U.S. and how are names are Romanised to letters. Let me pull it up.” He took his laptop resting on the seat beside him. “Ah, here it is.  ‘Thank you guys so much…’ blah blah blah blah blah.” Donghae scrolled through the mass amount of text. “Found it. Though it’s not actually pronounced, he said that in English, Jieun and my surname are both spelled with an ‘L’ at the beginning, so ‘Lee’ as opposed to just ‘ee’. Then, with both you and BoA’s surnames, they’re typically romanised with a ‘K’, so Kwon and Kim. I honestly don’t even know what he was trying to say, I guess he just though it was interesting that we have two surnames beginning with ‘K’ and two with ‘L’ as well.”

“Oooooh~” BoA and Jonghyun nodded in acknowledgement simultaneously.

“But Donghae-oppa. Couldn’t that be written like…2KL or something?”

“I was thinking the same thing, Jieun.”

“2KL…2KL…2KL… what could we do with that?” BoA asked.

“Guys, what do we do here?” Jonghyun asked.

“We help people.”

“For what?”

“…We just help.” Donghae tried to reply.

“Because that’s what we do. We do it out of kindness…and we do it out of love.”

Jieun smiled as her oppa mentioned that. “So it’s chosen then.”

The three others joined her in smiling as Jonghyun concluded.

“To Kindness and Love.”