Part IV (Gift #2)

Holiday Special Surprise

He handed you a red package with a sheepish smile. You took it in your hands, laughing at the haphazardly taped paper.

"What happened?" you asked with a smile. He looked down at the floor, his grin wide and humored.

"You know I'm terrible at wrapping presents! Remember the hat? At least this is all one piece of paper!" You gave him a doubtful look. "I swear! Unwrap it and you'll see! I just had no idea how to tape it shut." Laughing, you tore of the paper and pieces of tape. It was only one piece, but he had cut it so large you had to unravel it several times to find your gift. Inside the haphazardly taped paper was a rolled up piece of sheet music, a note, and another box. He grinned.

"Open the box first!" You did as he asked, and almost gasped when you saw the contents.

 

"Oh my god! These headphones are amazing! I've been dying to have a pair for forever!!" He beamed at your reaction. You admired the shiny edges and soft leather for a few moments before glaring playfully in his direction. "I thought I told you not to go overboard! This is pretty overboard." He laughed, patting your head gently.

"I got a good deal on them, if it makes you feel better." You smiled, holding them in cupped hands.

"They're so beautiful." Growing excited, he urged you to open the scroll of paper also included in his present. You pulled the ribbon off carefully, and unrolled it so as not to wrinkle the paper. Music notes crawled elegantly over the lines in his handwriting, lyrics written underneath. Confused, you gave him a curious smile. He plugged your new headphones into his music player, turning on a song you hadn't heard before. To your surprise, it was his voice that travelled eloquently over every verse, a song written and performed entirely for you. When he finished, you looked up with shiny eyes.

"You wrote this? For me?" He nodded, grinning widely. "Awesome! This is seriously the best." You laughed. "Wow. You're making my gift for you seem super lame!" Shaking his head, he lifted the headphones off of your ears and hung them around your neck.

"I doubt that. Read the note!" You noticed his hands shaking with an emotion you couldn't detect, and turned over the paper to read the tiny handwriting. Look in the side pocket of my backpack. You rolled your eyes, standing up to find his backpack on the kitchen table. When you reached in the pocket, a velvety box met your fingertips. You pulled it out and turned to face your boyfriend with a look of bewilderment. He had fallen to his knees taking the box from you gently and opening it with his hands still shaking.

"I know this might seem random or sudden or...I don't know. But I really love you. And I want to marry you." He paused, trying to read your eyes. "Will you marry me?" You smiled, eyes wet with excitement.

"Of course I will!" He slid the ring over your finger and pulled you tightly into a hug around his neck. After a moment of peaceful quiet you let him go, pulling his hand to enjoy the rest of your vacation together.