Part IV (Gift #1)

Holiday Special Surprise

You smiled when he handed you the package, a square box wrapped in sparkling gold paper.

"What's in it?" you asked excitedly, shaking it gently. He rolled his eyes, urging you to open the package.

"You won't know until you open it!" You laughed, untying the wide bow and tearing the paper off to open the box. A smile formed on your face when you lifted out a gold necklace, the pendant shaped like a tiny envelope.

Necklace

He grinned at your reaction, reaching over to flip over the top and bottom flaps. "Look, it opens." Inside the locket on a piece of paper he had inserted a tiny picture of the two of you, smiling and laughing during an outing with one of your friends. On the other frame inside, a tiny heart was drawn on white paper, the words "I love you" written in the smallest handwriting he could fit. "I know it's a little cheesy, but-"

You cut off his sentence, giving him a light kiss before raising your hair so he could put it around your neck. Still smiling, you reached into the box to pull out the second part of your gift. It was a weathered looking book, the cover a light shade of grey and wrapped loosely shut with a thin piece of leather.

Book

Giving him a curious smile, you unwound the leather and opened it gently. The first page was a picture from one of your first dates, younger versions of the two of you sitting together in a dimly lit restaurant. At the top of the page he had written the month and year the picture was taken, and underneath it had written "Month One." As you turned the pages you were greeted by more pictures of you together, one for every month you had been together. The last page was empty, obviously waiting for a picture of its own. He grinned, pulling his Polaroid camera from the pocket of his backpack.

"I figured we could take this one today," he said, holding it up between the two of you. You scowled playfully.

"Can't I get washed up first at least? I'm still in pajamas." He laughed, messing your hair teasingly with his long fingers. 

"I think you look great." You shrugged, smiling happily for the camera. When it developed, you positioned it carefully on the paper, sliding the picture in place. Hugging him tightly, you smiled again.

"Thank you so much. This is perfect." He kissed your cheek, tapping the book again with his hand.

"Aren't you going to turn the page?" Confused, you opened it again.

"But isn't this the last one? It's just the cover. But I mean-" Your sentence stopped short when you turned to the back cover. Taped in the back was a small ring, a diamond sparkling modestly on top.

Diamond

"Oh my god," you whispered, turning to face your boyfriend. He grinned, getting up to kneel on the floor.

"So," he said, pulling the ring from the back of the book and holding it between his thumb and forefinger. "What do you say? Will you marry me?" You nodded, afraid that speaking would bring the lump in your throat to the surface. He slid the ring over your finger, pulling you into a tight hug. You laughed, kissing him with excitement and joy.

"I hope you realize this is the best Christmas ever." He laughed, still holding you firmly.

"I'm glad! No idea how I'm going to beat it next year though." You laughed, dragging him up from the couch to enjoy the rest of your vacation as fiancées.