Three

dance lessons

 

 

To say Kim Sunggyu’s embarrassed would have been understatement of the year. Okay, understatement of the century.

Not only did he get caught staring, but he had been caught by the object of his (immense) interest, Nam Woohyun. Now that, was some serious predicament. You don’t need to tell him that.

Sunggyu sighs. He’s at the back of the class, Nam Woohyun’s instructions to stretch falling on deaf (hamster) ears as Sunggyu just collapses on the floor cross legged, small eyes staring into space. How is he going to survive this again?

Oh right, he isn’t.

Sunggyu’s shoulders slump further, his eyelids drooping as the effects of a late night and a lack of coffee kick in.

“Sleeping in my class? Not on my watch, princess.” Comes the low whisper in his ear and Sunggyu’s eyes snap open, and he flies (okay, jumps) a metre away from Woohyun, who’s still wearing that absolutely annoying smirk on his face, kneeling on one knee.

“D-Don’t call me princess, punk.” Sunggyu says in an attempt to sound annoyed, hoping his blush will pass as the effects of his “anger”.

He fails though, badly, as he turns even redder when Woohyun mouths the following words.

“You’re blushing, princess.”

It can’t get any worse than this.

He’s left there on the floor dumbfounded as Woohyun simply shoots him a cocky smile and gets up, making his way to the front of the class.

“Okay class, quieten down.” Woohyun claps his hands to get the class’ attention, and the room’s noise level immediately lowers significantly.

“Today, we’re doing square turns. I hope everyone went home to practice their floor turns as now, you’ll not be turning in a straight line, but in a square.”

There were some murmurs throughout the class as the students debate about whether they practiced their turns or not.

However, there was only one thing on a certain red-haired male’s mind.

What the was a square turn?

Sunggyu thinks his face probably looks like one of those shocked troll faces right now.

That’s when the panic sets in. Oh god. Nam Woohyun didn’t expect him to do square turns too…right? After all, this was his fi-

“Kim Sunggyu-ssi? Would you please come over here? I’ll have to start from the basics with you.”

He doesn’t know whether to thank the gods or drop to the floor in despair.

Thank the gods because he’s saved from those evil little things called square turns, or drop to floor because he’s going to face more humiliation when Nam Woohyun (whom he has conveniently labelled as the devil’s advocate) is going to give him one-on-one lessons on the basics of tap dancing. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.

Sunggyu doesn’t even have enough energy (or morale) to even muster a groan. He picks his way to the front of the class reluctantly, a scowl on his features. That just makes Nam Woohyun’s annoying grin widen.

“Now, have you ever had any experience with tap shoes?” Woohyun asks, more for the fun of seeing Sunggyu being embarrassed than wanting to know the answer, because he already knows what it’s going to be.

When Sunggyu keeps quiet, he just answers for him. “I presume you haven’t?”

No Sherlock, Sunggyu thinks, his scowl deepening.

“Okay, well then, we’ll have to start you off from the basics. This is a shuffle.”

Woohyun brushes the ball of his foot on the floor and then pulls it back, the movement making a two-beat sound on the floor. It’s lovely, short and sweet. Or maybe that’s just Sunggyu.

“And this is a flap.” Woohyun does a move similar to the shuffle, only his foot stays on the floor when it’s done. The sound is shorter, sharper than the shuffle.

Sunggyu just stares. There’s nothing really going on in his head now, except the fact that he thought those two moves looked exactly the same. What was the difference?

“Now, I’d like you to replicate what I just did. Can you do that?” Woohyun’s voice is soft, like coaxing a child. Sunggyu huffs.

How difficult could those two puny moves be? Surely he looks down on me too much, Sunggyu thinks.

10 minutes later-

“What in the actual is this ? I’ve been doing this for 10 minutes and you tell me I didn’t even get it even once?” Sunggyu’s hands are on his hips, his eyes narrowed into (narrower than usual) slits. His calves are sore, and his feet hurt with the extra pressure he wasn’t used to. He curses Sungyeol and Dongwoo then and there, muttering under his breath about something that sounds suspiciously like “retarded dinos and childish chodings”.

Woohyun lets out an infuriating chuckle, his face amused.

Yes, Sunggyu, you didn’t even get it once. The shuffle and flap are both steps with two sounds. What you’ve been doing only has one sound.”

Sunggyu’s cheeks burn red. He feels stares on his back. He was wrong. Everything here is evil.

“Okay let’s just skip that part for now. How about we try another move?” Woohyun’s face is still perfect, still beautiful. But Sunggyu- well, that was another matter. Sunggyu’s hairline is beaded with sweat, his face showing the exertion he put in into the two moves. He struggles to pay attention, his knees feel weak. Maybe Sungyeol forgot to mention the fact that Sunggyu had a weak body.

Woohyun makes two steps on his right and left foot, and then he drops those two heels right after the second step is made, and then he picks up his speed. The sounds begin to make a rolling sound reminiscent of the clip clops of a horse’s hooves. Sunggyu’s in awe. Sure, he thinks tap dancing involves all things small and evil, but the sounds Woohyun makes with his shoes are so unbelievably beautiful. Or maybe that has something to do with Woohyun doing those steps. Yep, definitely.

Woohyun finally comes to a stop, a few beads of sweat rolling down his neck and into his shirt. He pants.

“That’s a cramproll. You think you can do it?” Woohyun shoots him a smirk.

Oh, was that a challenge?

“Game on.” Sunggyu smiles sweetly, one dripping with venom.

Woohyun just laughs.

Sunggyu tries to do it first, his feet tripping over each other. He curses inwardly, and he thinks he hears a few sniggers in the background. If Sunggyu thought about his qualities, the one he would probably nominate as his strongest one had to be his competitiveness. (Or maybe it was his only quality.) And he absolutely hated being humiliated, cue narrowed eyes and scowl.

Sunggyu takes a tentative step, his right shoe making a click on the floor. He then tries his left foot, and when he makes sure he’s not going to fall flat on his face again, he drops his heels, slowly but surely increasing his speed. And soon, he’s doing cramproll after cramproll. He’s laughing now, a tinkering smile as his eyes curve up into crescents, as he hears the clip-clop he’s making with his feet. It was exhilarating.

“Woohyun! Did you see that? I did it!” Sunggyu turns to Woohyun, running forward and wrapping his arms around the other male’s neck, whispering in his ear. Woohyun laughs again, making his chest rumble. He wraps a hand around Sunggyu’s slim waist, saying a “You did it” into his ear softly. And that’s when Sunggyu realises he’s hugging his (hot) teacher. In front of all his classmates. He reluctantly lets go, his cheeks tinged with a light pink as he mumbles a muffled apology to Woohyun. The other male just smiles.

Somehow, Sunggyu thinks it’s not going to be that bad.