Hyperventilating

The Price of Misery Was One Buck

 

 

“Hani?”

His eyes were warm, they were glistening, like the moonlight shining on the dark sea.

“Y-- Yeah?”

Babump.

Babump.

Babump.

“Would you go out with me? Like on a date?”

 

He looked at me, eyes full of expectant. He looked rather lack of confidence, unlike his usual bright self. His hands were holding my hands, and I couldn’t help but to notice that they were sweating. My hands were probably sweating too.

 

Oh my God.

He asked me out.

Like on a date.

Joon asked me out on a date.

Lee Joon, the Lee Joon, asked me out, on a date.

Oh my God.

 

Hani, breathe!

Breathe in, breathe out.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Breathe in, breathe out.

There you go, relax and calm yourself.

 

“Hani?”

“Yeah?”

“Shouldn’t you like, answer me or something? I think I’m going crazy right now.”

Joon, me too!

“Hani? You-- You can decline, you know. I would definitely understand. I mean, you would think that this is so unexpected, so out of the blue, and you probably think that there are better guys for you out there so why would this guy right here has to be the one to ask you out, right? So, you should just say no, I mean if you want to say no, but if you want to say yes, you should say yes, because that is the answer that I want to hear from you. Oh shoot! I’m babbling!”

 

And a hyperventilating Joon was an interesting and funny sight to see. I lost my own nervousness, and I felt in control. Playing with anxious Joon should be fun!

 

“Hahaha! Oh, God, Joon...”

“I’m so sorry, I babble a lot when I am nervous. I never really felt this nervous before, and I don’t understand why this is happening to me right now. I didn’t even get this nervous on the basketball court. My hands are probably sweating right now, right? I’ll let go of your hands--”

“Joon--”

“I don’t have a handkerchief. You should wipe your hands. Here, use my shirt--”

“Joon--”

He pulled his shirt, stretching it to the point where I could see his black wifebeater that he wore underneath it, and he took my hands, and wiped them earnestly.

 

“Joon! Hahaha! This is crazy. Hey, hey, Joon?”

I pulled out my hands from his, and it was my turn to grasp his hands.

“Joon, hey, stop.”

He did stop, but he was looking at me like a kitten that had lost his mother. He looked unsure.

“I-- I'm sorry, Hani.”

“Eh? What are you sorry about?”

“I don’t know, but--”

“But, you asked me a question, right? Would you like to hear my answer?”

 

His eyes rounded in hope, and I could feel his hands stiffen in my hands.

“Do-- Do you have your answer?”

“Maybe.”

I just had to smile, mischievously.

“Maybe?”

His hands were still stiff, and cold.

“Yeah, I mean, I seem to fail to remember the question. What was your question again?”

 

Joon looked at me in disbelieve. Oh, he caught my game!

“You want to hear my question, again?”

There were sparks in his eyes, and they were hopeful sparks, definitely.

“Yeah, ask me again, Joon.”

 

He pulled out his hands from mine, and he took my hands, clasping them in his. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and he opened them along with a smile plastered on his lips.

“Hani, would you go out for a date with me?”

 

“Yes, Joon, I would love to.”