Prologue

Love Conquers Nothing

Prologue

My name is Chunji, I just turned nineteen, and I am a werewolf. Yes, they really do exist. It is more exhilarating than anything in human life, and I enjoy every minute of it. I am free, I do not answer to the government, or officers. I am strong, able to run miles on end without tiring, and lift many times more than any human male of my age and size. I am swift, as agile as a cat. I am fast; I could easily out run any athlete, even those famous for track and cross country. I do not know their names, and I am not often around TVs. Cap doesn’t think it wise to take so called ‘risks’ like that.

Cap…. Cap is our Alpha, our fearless leader. He took us in; he took us all in and made up a family, a pack. He, like me, like everyone in my pack, was born a werewolf. And he, like everyone else in the pack, lost his entire family. We do not often talk about it, it is too painful. I hear Cap lost his to a vampire and his mate when he was seven, it was a miracle he survived while still so young, his parents would have barely been preparing him to join the hunts, if only to watch. I lost mine to humans. I’m sure they didn’t mean to, they were out hunting, and so were we… I’m sure they confused them for a wild beast. Ricky lost his in a territorial fight, his father had been unwilling to give up the home he’s created for his family… he led his pack into battle and died, they all had. Ricky had been told to run, his mother had promised to find him later, but only to get him to go. But, none of that matter now. It was a long time ago, I hardly remember my parents. All I have is my pack, and I don’t mind. We are a family.

Cap found Changjo, who is seventeen and the youngest of our group, first. The poor guy was waiting, huddled under a tree, curled up and pressed to the bark, waiting for the parents who’d never return, when Cap came upon him. I believe Cap is closest to Changjo, taking it on himself to care for the younger boy. He is very protective of him and keeps him at his side at all times. Changjo is now his right hand man, his consultant, and always with him. He found Ricky next and not long after that he found me. Cap was determined to care for the small boy he’d found, as if Changjo was now his responsibility, but his protectiveness soon expanded to include Ricky and me as well. I think he believed it would be easier to provide us with safety while in a pack. Werewolf packs are almost always made up of family members, a mother, a father, and the children. Sometimes packs include grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews. Werewolves are stronger in packs. They are also safer with them.

Cap took it upon himself to find us shelter, food, and safety. Without any of us realizing it, he became our Alpha. That usually falls to the father but, we are all orphans…. I quickly befriended Ricky, he is very chatty, and it is hard not to like him. I can hardly believe someone who saw their family destroyed in battle can be so innocent, so playful, and so damn likable. I also grew affectionate to Cap, extremely grateful to him for taking me it, and also for finding a guy such as Ricky…what would I have done without my best friend? Changjo is a very nice guy, Rick and I soon befriended him as well. We all became extremely close, we were just boys, we were all we had.

We all look up to Cap,  though none more so than Changjo, I have a deep respect for him, and I know Ricky feels the same. I always believed he would never let me down, and I never questioned an order. If Cap said it was time to leave, we would all say good bye to the place we had come to know as home, and move on. If Cap said he didn’t want us around the humans in a certain town we were passing by, we all steered clear. And most importantly, if Cap told us to run, we all high-tailed it out of there without even questioning what the threat was and without looking back.

 This was my life, never questioning an order, following Cap’s lead [blindly at times] and being extremely content with my life…that is, of course, until I met one threat I couldn’t run away from…because I didn’t want to, because I didn’t care if it consumed me entirely. I threw everything Cap had ever told me, everything he had ever taught me, the day I met him. I didn’t know I would destroy the pack. I didn’t know it would lead to such a mess. I didn’t know I would be the one danger Cap couldn’t protect us from… I also didn’t realize that I wouldn’t regret a single thing I did, I would do it all over again…

[A/N: Yeah, prologue... sorry =/ I have to get my creative juices running somehow, and prologues usually do the trick. Next time, real chapter, with stuff happening and everythang.]