Chapter 5

Just a Foreign Exchange Student

 

Siwon and I walked in silence, his arm draped around my shoulder while everybody else was chattering happily. I didn’t bother to tell him to get his arm off of me, because I liked it there. I don’t know why, but it felt…right. Like it was supposed to happen. But maybe that was just me going crazy. I smiled a little, and I saw Donghae squint and peer up into the sky.

“The performance was fun. A nice experience.” I said. Donghae smiled at me, looking down from the sky.

“For different reasons than us I suppose?” He nudged my arm, raising his eyebrows suggestively. Siwon chuckled while I glared at him.

“No. Shut up Donghae.” He laughed and peered up into the sun again, squinting.

“Hmm, I don’t remember being the sun being this bright when we got out of the auditorium.” He muttered. I looked up and realized that it was much brighter, when it was getting dark a few seconds ago. I furrowed my eyebrows in curiosity but didn’t care that much. I liked the sun anyways.

“Where are we going anyways?” Sungmin turned his head towards me, the icy expression back again. But he seemed more relaxed than usual. Hopefully, he’s getting used to me.

“Our favorite place to do homework. Somewhere outside.” I nodded my head thoughtfully, grinning. Nature was a part of me, and no one could deny that.

“Alright the sun is hurting my eyes.” Donghae complained. Kyuhyun laughed, punching his shoulder lightly.

“Afraid of a little vitamin D?” Donghae scowled at him, looking away, back at me. He cocked his head for a moment before leaning in close to my chest. I raised an eyebrow.

“Uh, Donghae?” He didn’t remove his gaze, but instead reached out to touch the chain around my neck.

“It’s pretty. Where’d you get it?” He looked up, walking backwards in front of me. His hands never left my necklace. I looked down and chuckled slightly.

“These are from my friends back at China, Henry and Zhou Mi. It’s really special to me.” Donghae nodded, and flipped the little rectangle attached to the chain. His eyebrows came together in confusion and he rubbed the engraving.

“What does it say?” I took the rectangle out of his hands silently and held it up so I could take a look at the words: 我爱你. I smiled slightly, remembering my goofy friends.

 

“We’ll miss you Han Geng! But I’ll miss you more.” Henry wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close into a hug. “I was lucky to be in China when I met you!” I laughed and pulled his arms away, motioning Zhou Mi to come over here. He grinned and ran over to me to hug me, whacking Henry’s shoulder along the way.

“Hey!” Henry pouted, his chubby cheeks puffing out. He rubbed his arm and glared at Zhou Mi, who just let go.

“Serves you right for saying that you’d miss him more.” Henry rolled his eyes, but smiled at him.

“Anyways, did you give him the necklace yet?” I raised an eyebrow in curiosity as a look of realization washed over Henry’s face.

“Oh right! No I didn’t.” He turned around, feeling around in his pockets. Zhou Mi snorted.

“Of course you’d forget.” I laughed at their bickering. Henry took one of my hands and flipped it so my palm was facing up. He dropped a silver chain in my hands. I held the chain up, sliding my hands to the little tablet connected at the end. I flipped the tablet from side to side, so it would glitter in the sunshine. I smiled, running my thumb slowly over those words I longed to hear from my parents. 我爱你. Zhou Mi slung an arm around Henry’s shoulder and smiled at me.

“We split the money to buy you that! I chose the words, because we don’t want you to forget us in Korea!” Henry flicked his arm off and smiled innocently at the hurt expression on Zhou Mi’s face.

“Ha! You messed up in the grammar anyways. It says ‘I love you’ when it was supposed to say ‘WE love you’. Are you implying something? Hmm?” Zhou Mi whacked his shoulder again and smiled, saying nothing. Henry glared at him and looked down at the watch around his wrist. He looked back up apologetically.

“I’m sorry, I have to go. I promised some friends that I would meet them at a restaurant.” He gave me one last hug before taking off, sending one last smile and wave towards me. I smiled, waving back. I was never going to forget my best friends. Zhou Mi put the necklace around my neck and placed one hand on my wrist.

“Give it to the person who really cares for you in Korea, alright? Someone special who will take care of you.” He smiled as I looked at him in confusion.

“Don’t worry, you’ll get it soon. I have to go. See you later!” He took off before I could stop him, leaving me to my thoughts.

 

I sighed, flipping the tablet over and over in my hands so it would glimmer in the sun. I still didn’t get what Zhou Mi told me. But I grinned, still lost in my daydream.

“Chinese looks pretty. So elegant.” I was startled, snapping out of my reverie and realized how close Siwon’s face was to me. He was peering intently at the silver rectangle in my hands, his head nearly resting on my shoulder from behind me. He straightened up, still curious as to what it meant.

“What?” Ryeowook stood on his toes to peek at the Chinese engraved on the rectangle.

“Oh how sweet! Who gave it to you?” Ryeowook clapped his hands together and smiled. I laughed.

“It’s not what you think, Ryeowook. This is just from a couple of friends.” Siwon stayed silent, having absolutely no idea what we were talking about. He abruptly looked up, removing his arm from my shoulder. I looked up at the lack of warmth, dropping the topic between me and Ryeowook. He smiled and moved to the front.

“We’re here!” He called over his shoulder. The sound of students chattering suddenly filled my ears, sending a weird sense of déjà vu. I saw Ryeowook smile as he pulled on my arm, leading me to a place where we could sit, starting on our homework.

I looked around at the others, pulling out worksheets, pencils, and textbooks and smirked a little. I was pleased that I was smart enough to finish in class. I drummed my fingers against my knee as I sat Indian-style. I rested my head on my hand, growing restless. An idea started forming in my mind and I sat up, looking towards Ryeowook.

“Hey Wook?” He made a sound, not looking up from his worksheets.

“Can I borrow your laptop…for just a little while?” Ryeowook reached for his backpack.

“Sure.” He pulled out his laptop, sliding it towards me. I grinned, thanked him, and plugged in my ear phones. I found my song, Say No, and listened to it contentedly, until I came across a phrase that just didn’t sound right. I frowned, tapping furiously to alter and change the chords. I was tapping rapidly at the keys, a small smile plastered on my face.

“I just want to loudly say no right now, painfully, quickly, inhibiting myself to say no, not scared to switch a whole body full of wounds for this breakup, day after day exhaustion is gathering in my chest. When I lie down, I feel like a rock with nothing to save-” I was humming quietly to myself, until Kyuhyun looked up with wide eyes.

“Dude, you’re bringing me down over here. What are you even working on?” I blushed and saved my work, closing the laptop. I jumped slightly when Siwon’s hand came out and stopped me from closing the laptop. I didn’t know he was sitting so close to me. He smiled slightly and leaned in closer, looking closely at the screen. I held my breath, a little stunned to have him so close. His hand came closer and took one ear phone out of my ear.

“Do you mind?” I blinked and shook my head. He put it in his ear and pressed the play button. The familiar tune started playing in my ears, but it basically went through one ear and out the other. I was more focused on the unchanging expression on Siwon’s face. A tentative grin spread across his face and his eyes glazed over. I squirmed, still frustrated that I couldn’t comprehend him when his eyes did that. He pulled it out of his ear and handed it back to me.

“The song’s good, and although I can’t really understand it, I like the way Chinese flows.” I smiled, a little embarrassed. Kyuhyun crawled over, not bothering to get up. He un-plugged the ear phones from the computer and pressed play before I could stop him. They listened silently and as the song came to an end, I started hearing all of them talk at once.

“Why’d you hide this from us Hannie? It’s really good!”

“Ryeowook was right. You should sing with us in our next performance!”

“Hmph. You are pretty good. You should come sing with us.” I tuned out and crawled backwards slowly, cocking my head to glance at Siwon sitting quietly behind them. He had an amused smile on his face and stood up, looking towards the forest and back. I felt a small half smile start to form and I felt a strange thudding in my chest. I coughed, pushing that weird feeling away.

“Yeah, alright. Maybe next performance alright? Anyways, you all seem to be done with homework. Let’s go.” I stood up, brushing the dirt off of my pants. Excited chatter came up again as I looked towards Siwon again. I jumped again when I realized he was right behind me. Jesus, how does he move so quickly?

“Later.” He said in a low voice, sliding his arm around my shoulder again. We started walking back, them still talking about my song.

“Well, I like your singing voices too.” I heaved a great sigh, a little tired of them blabbing on and on about my song.

“Ha! Then you probably haven’t heard Siwon sing, Hannie.” Again…that same déjà vu feeling, and I didn’t like it. I bit my lip and I saw Siwon blush. Donghae pushed my shoulder, sending a weird sense of familiarity throughout me. I laughed bitterly and nodded. I looked around, a little frightened. And then I met Heechul’s glare. I felt Siwon’s hand twitch, gripping my shoulder forcefully. He relaxed soon after, but I could see how tense he was. That didn’t matter at the moment, however. I tugged on Donghae’s arm and walked faster, determined to get him away. I had to get him away. It was literally a matter of life or death.

“Aish…stop tugging on me Hankyung.” He laughed and stood still. I gritted my teeth, turning frantic. He had no idea what kind of trouble he was getting himself into. I eyed Heechul, a smirk beginning to form. My eyes widened and I forcefully pulled him away so he could follow me.

“Hankyung, what’s wrong?” Ryeowook asked worriedly. I shook my head. What was I supposed to say? That I envisioned this all in my sleep? Like hell they would believe me. A streak of light came across the sky, brightening it. I lost my grip on Donghae as I shielded my eyes. I heard a deep rumble, and was surprised when the sound came from Siwon. He was…growling? I didn’t think that was possible. He let go of his grip around my shoulder as he clenched his hands into fists, the deep rumble continuing. His arm was out diagonally across my body in a protective way. His gaze was locked on something I couldn’t see, and his eyes were hard and piercing. I looked around in panic for Heechul, but he was gone, only sending me into another state of hysteria.

“Donghae, move!” I cried out, hearing that eerie creaking sound. A shriek pierced the air, coming from Ryeowook. I couldn’t stay still like I did in my dream. I had to do something. I took both of his arms and ran, away from the tree that was toppling down. I heard many screams as I ran faster than I ever had before. Dread came down to me when I tripped and fell over a root from the tree. I stared, horrified as he came down with me. Donghae got up quickly and pulled me up, only to stop when he realized my foot was stuck. He whimpered, and I saw tears glisten on his face as he unsuccessfully tried to pull me up.

“Run! I’ll be fine!” I cried out. He shook his head, biting his lip to keep from crying, pulling me harder. I gritted my teeth as I felt the bark dig into my skin. I pried Donghae’s hand away from my wrist and pushed him away. He cried out in protest, but stumbled to the ground, a safe distance away from the tree. I tried pulling my foot out, only to yell out in pain when it drew blood from my ankle. I looked up at the toppling tree and my mouth went dry. I fell back to the ground in defeat, hiding my face in my arms, not bearing to look at the impact. I braced myself, hearing a crash. I choked on my breath, only to realize nothing hit me. I was breathing heavily and beads of sweat started to form on my forehead. The tree lay fallen right beside me. I could’ve sworn I was in that space right under it! I was numb with shock, my eyes opened wide. I had the vague sense of someone helping me up. I flinched at the sudden touch but grabbed the person’s shoulder and limped against him.

“Heechul…Heechul…it’s…he…” I couldn’t make coherent sentences as I shook my head. I opened my eyes cautiously and saw things blur past me. I wrapped my arms around his arm at the sudden speed, the shock far too great for me to handle. But as the fallen tree came in view, I cried out, flailing my arms. I landed harshly on my right shoulder, groaning in pain. I attempted getting up when my ankle gave way. A hand gripped my arm tightly, and I latched on, not willing to let go.

“Hankyung…are you okay?” The familiar deep voice drifted into my ears. I got the courage to look up into his eyes, recognizing his brown orbs to be of Siwon’s. I was trembling and I felt numb in my foot area.

“Doesn’t matter. Is Donghae okay? Donghae…he needs to…he has to…” I felt the numbness take over as I slipped into blackness.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

I woke up on a white bed. I recognized the room to be the nurse’s office. I jerked upright, sending a wave of pain through my right shoulder. I cried out, holding my right shoulder in pain, sliding back down into the mattress.

“He’s awake!” I sat up slowly, making a feeble attempt to smile at him. I heard the flurry of footsteps come towards me as I slumped against the pillows weakly.

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” I protested. I saw Ryeowook and Donghae checking me over, and Kyuhyun and Sungmin re-bandaging my injuries. Eunhyuk and Yesung were attempting to ask me questions, receiving no answer from me.

“Where’s Siwon?” Eunhyuk and Yesung went quiet and looked at each other before meeting my tired gaze.

“I don’t know, but last time I saw him he was scared less.” Yesung thumped Eunhyuk’s head with his hand, earning a glare in return.

“You’re just going to scare him, Hyuk.” I glanced back and forth at their bickering through half-lidded eyes.

“I just want to talk to him. Where is he?” I repeated, persistent. Yesung shrugged.

“He never tells us where he runs off to. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember.” I smiled slightly, having an idea to where he was. I shooed them away, asking for some space so I could stand up.

“The doctor says you need to rest, since your shoulder’s hurt!” Ryeowook insisted. I waved him away.

“I just won’t move my shoulder as much alright? And my ankle…I’ll manage. Don’t worry too much.” I reached over to Ryeowook and patted his arm reassuringly with my good arm. I got up slowly and limped my way to the door.

“Where are you even going?” Donghae called out. I simply smiled and walked down the hallway slowly, careful not to hurt my ankle. I found my way outside and basked in the sunlight silently, heading my way into the forest. I poked through the bushes and the leaves, going into a clearing. I smiled seeing Siwon. Strange relief spread across me as if I was waiting to see him again. He was leaning against the tree, his arms crossed. His eyes were shut tight but his eyebrows were furrowed together in deep thought. He was even oblivious to the crunching sound of the leaves as I walked towards him slowly.

“Siwon?” I tentatively called out. I laughed when he jumped in surprise, looking around in surprise. I came towards him, feeling more revived. Must be from walking around. He scrambled up, a look of surprise washed over his face. I widened my eyes at the sight in front of me. He looked…fatigued. His hair wasn’t as black as it used to be, but he seemed to heal in front of my very eyes.

“What happened to you-” I fell silent when a slow smile spread across his face. I was probably imagining things, but the dark bags seemed to disappear as he straightened up.

“Siwon…?” I asked with a questioning tone. The change in his looks was quite scary if you ask me. He seemed to lose a few days of tiredness right before me.

“You’re okay!” He tackled me to the ground and I winced slightly at the pain in my right shoulder, but I smiled nonetheless. It tickled when he was mumbling inaudible words in the crook of my neck.

“Aish…you could have done without the tackling!” I laughed. He sat up, resting on my legs.

“Sorry! It’s an instinct that runs through all of us. You’ll get it sooner or later. You could call us more animal than human sometimes.” He chuckled. Well that could explain the strange growling he had during…the accident.

“Siwon, I’m fine. You worried about me?” He sprang up, pulling me up with him.

“Of course I was! I mean…we all were!” His face was slightly flustered and his hair seemed to be a little blacker and healthier than before. He still looked bothered, though. His eyes glazed over again as he looked off into the distance.

“What’s wrong?” Siwon glanced back at me and chuckled nervously.

“I’m fine! Totally fine! Definitely a lot better when knowing that you’re safe.” He strained. I gave him a look when he walked to the tree. As he reached up to the first branch, he looked back with a taunting smile.

“You coming or what? Then we’ll talk.” I laughed and strode over. He looked at me curiously as he helped me up.

“Doesn’t your ankle hurt?” I looked down to my foot as if it was the first time seeing the injury. It didn’t seem to hurt anymore, but I could feel the throbbing go down to a minimum. We climbed up to our spot with the branches as chairs and sat down with a sigh.

“Well no not really-” Siwon suddenly looked up with a frenzied glint in his eye.

“You’re supposed to be dead. I don’t get it!” I widened my eyes at his outburst.

“…Excuse me?” I squeaked. He took a deep breath and gripped the branch tightly.

“You were about five feet away from where you tripped and fell. You were supposed to be under that tree. You are supposed to be dead, and I still don’t know if I should be grateful or guilty for messing with fate. So far, I’m glad that I did.” I leaned in, absolutely confused.

“You’re making no sense.” I said slowly. But he kept on going on, as if he didn’t hear me.

“I don’t know what happened. Everybody knew you were going to die, beneath that tree. I felt…ripped apart. In such a short time, you became one of my closest friends.” He continued quietly. “I felt…angry. It was all Heechul’s fault. I felt energized. All I remember is that energy was transferred to you. And…you moved.” I cocked my head slightly.

“…I moved?” He nodded his head, looking away.

“Yes, you moved. And I didn’t get it. I was confused, and I still am. I didn’t expect the energy to get transferred…but it did.” He was getting frustrated in not explaining things correctly. I could tell when the frenzied look in his eye came back.

“So you’re saying…” I prompted. He gritted his teeth and pounded the bark, leaving a dent to my surprise.

“Think about it, Han. Inexplicable power out of nowhere…the weird transferring between one person to another…” What he was getting at was at the tip of my tongue, but I couldn’t grasp it. I was supposed to be dead, and that thought made my heart skip a beat. But instead, I was fifty feet away from where I was supposed to be. Siwon…changed fate…with energy…and power…?

“You don’t mean…that you have…” Siwon shut his eyes and leaned against the tree.

“Yes, I do have an ability, Hankyung. How else do you just move without an explanation?” We stayed quiet for a moment, and something burning arose in my chest. It was a really weird feeling.

“So…any idea on whom your person is?” I asked quietly, the weird feeling growing. He gritted his teeth again and looked up at me, but his expression immediately fell and he looked away.

“A pretty good idea actually. And no, I’d rather not tell you.” I leaned against the tree, staring at his changing expressions.

“Do you like her?” He leaned back, looking up at me curiously.

“Why do you suppose the person is a girl?” I shrugged, ignoring the strange gnawing feeling in my chest. Siwon looked away.

“Well no, I don’t like her, not yet at least. And I’m sorry for dragging you in on this topic. I just wanted to get that off my chest.” The burden on my own chest lifted a little, and I gently placed a hand on my chest in confusion. I heard a low chuckle.

“What are you doing?” I looked up, still blank from the weird, fiery feeling.

“Nothing, just had a small cough.” I coughed feebly, and Siwon looked away into the distance. I turned away, still confused about the fire burning in my chest. No, I didn’t feel sad, angry, or even jealous. It was probably all this magical getting to me.

“You know I really was worried about you.” He said suddenly. I jerked out of my dream state hearing this.

“It’s nothing. My ankle’s already healing and my shoulder will take a couple of days, but I’m fine.” He snorted hearing this.

“Your ankle better have healed already. You were lying in that bed for two weeks!” I stared at him blankly, not believing him.

“So you’re saying I was in a coma.” I said sarcastically. He bit the insides of his cheek in thought.

“Well, no. Not necessarily a coma. You were conscious for two weeks, but you were sleeping for most of the time.” I tried hard to remember when I ever woke up, but couldn’t come up with anything.

“I don’t remember waking up, other than just recently.” Siwon shrugged his shoulders.

“We had to wake you up to let you drink and eat. We gave you a sedative, which probably explains you forgetting most of that.” He moved closer, sitting beside me.

“The doctor told us that your injuries were minor and would heal within a few weeks, so you didn’t have to stay in the doctor’s office. But at least you’re okay now.” He added, smiling. I grinned, when a sudden thought occurred to me.

“So now can you tell me about this golden boy crap?” Siwon laughed and thought a bit, cocking his head to the side.

“No. Maybe later.” He said simply. Then I heard a small snicker. I looked around, seeing where it could have came from. I jumped hearing Kyuhyun’s sudden voice.

If you want to know about this “golden boy ”, come back to the headquarters.

Siwon stared blankly at me, obviously receiving the same message.

“You are not going to the headquarters, Hankyung.” I narrowed my eyes at him and smiled mischievously.

“I’ll race you.” Saying that, I took off, laughing as I heard a loud “hey!” from Siwon.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

I stumbled into the room, beating Siwon to the headquarters.

“Took you a while.” Kyuhyun smirked. Beside him, Sungmin sighed.

“I thought Siwon threw those out a while ago, Kyu.” Kyuhyun’s face turned innocent.

“Well he did…but I just thought they were too good of blackmail to be wasted.” His innocent smile turned into an evil grin as he turned back towards me. I felt a booklet being slid into my hands and I looked down to a men’s health magazine.

“Why am I looking at this?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. I flipped to the first page, staring blankly at a picture of Siwon posing with a basketball. Kyuhyun laughed, his arm resting on my shoulder.

“He’s a celebrity, a model, an actor, a dancer, and a singer. Plus, he’s the most athletic student in the school. Of course he’s the golden boy!” I snorted amusedly, turning to another picture of him in an ungodly stance with a vest and a baseball cap.

“He sure looks healthy to say the least.” I joked. Kyuhyun laughed along with me. I felt Ryeowook’s small arms hug me from behind.

“He wanted to join a school and get his education. He doesn’t really like to be popular, so he threw out these magazines.” He shot a playful glare at Kyuhyun before continuing. “But somehow, these pictures got around the school, therefore, starting the nickname of the Golden Boy.” I flipped to another page, stopping at an innocent Siwon sitting on the ground, staring up into space with a basketball in his hands. I bit my bottom lip, thinking.

"You know, he looks better when he’s smiling.” Yesung, who just came in to stand next to me, snorted.

“Try telling that to all his screaming fans. You should’ve seen him when he first walked into the school. He nearly lost an arm when they crowded around him.” Ryeowook laughed, hitting Yesung on the shoulder playfully.

“He’s the iest man in Korea. What would you expect?” I looked up when hearing that.

“iest man in Korea? A celebrity? So I’ve been hanging out with a celebrity this whole time and I didn’t even know it? Oh I should feel so grateful.” I remarked sarcastically, flipping to a picture with Donghae and Siwon. It was just a simple picture, but it got me smiling. This picture portrayed brotherly love between them.

“Donghae is a model too?” Donghae went up to me, peering at the picture.

“Oh, definitely not! I was only helping him with the photo shoot at that time.” Donghae laughed. The door slammed open to reveal a weary Siwon.

“You know, I thought I threw those magazines out a long time ago.” He said, snatching the papers out of my hand.

“Wait! I liked one of them!” I said, reaching for it again. Eunhyuk snickered beside Donghae.

“You’d rather have a picture to drool over when you can have the real thing right here.” I stared at him as bursts of giggles radiated around the room. I slapped him in the back of the head.

“You little ert. That’s so not what I meant. I’m talking about this one!” I took the magazine again, flipping to the one of Donghae and Siwon. “It’s cute!” I protested. Siwon blinked, obviously surprised.

“You can keep that one if you want. But wait.” He ripped the paper out, throwing the magazine away to a nearby trash can. He went over to a table, taking a sharpie.

“What are you-” I started, only to be cut off by Siwon.

“Wait.” He scribbled something on the paper before reaching out to hand it back to me. Eunhyuk looked amusedly at that.

“You know, I need to see you dance once in a while, Eunhyuk. I heard that you’re an amazing break-dancer.” I said, abruptly changing the topic while waiting for Siwon. Eunhyuk blushed and shrugged.

“Sure. Maybe sometime soon.” He smiled. I smiled back, oblivious to Siwon flipping the paper over and writing something else before handing it back to me.

“If you are seen around the school with a picture of me from a magazine, people are going to get the wrong idea. So an autograph should help with that.” I took it, staring blankly at his autograph. His handwriting was neat. Siwon yawned, looking at his watch.

“It’s almost curfew. We should be heading back to our rooms. And anyways, you need rest for that shoulder of yours.” He gestured to me. I nodded, smiling a little for his care.

“Look at him so worried for Han-”

“Shut up.” Siwon continued walking towards the door, cutting Donghae off. I blushed a little as everyone chuckled, getting up to follow him out.

As we filed out, I noticed Kyuhyun take the magazine out of the trash can, rolling it up to stuff it in his pocket. I laughed a little, shaking my head.

“It’s good blackmail, Hankyung.” I chuckled again, hearing Kyuhyun.

“Oh, just be quiet.” As we filed out, I stayed behind to turn off the lights and close the door. I sighed contentedly to myself, catching up to Siwon. Today was a good start to the weekend.