Bloody Kisses

JAGGED OBJECTS and BREAKABLE THINGS

 

Ice sat on the head of the campfire but kept her distance from the fire. Her clothes will melt in the temperature. Her silver frost covered dress and pale white complexion was a contrast to the dark woods where she meets with her siblings. Her hair is black but when you look closely you’ll see that it’s midnight blue.

 

Unlike Ice, Blaze her brother lingers and feeds on the light of the campfire. His hair is bright red with hints of orange in them; his eyes are blue and have a golden skin. Playing with the fire Blaze did, throwing twigs and dry leaves into it which makes Earth their brother frown but didn’t say anything.

 

Earth has a long brown hair with dried leaves and twigs stuck in them. He is wearing a tunic and brown pants that look likes mud. His eyes are deep green that made you drown in them if you stare too much. His skin is tanned, like a farmer’s skin that was exposed on the sun too often.

 

Storm hasn’t arrived yet; their sister was as mercurial as ever, no one can predict what she will do. Last gathering she was the first to arrive and now she’s running late but one thing is for sure she’ll be here. All of them vowed to do this gathering.

 

Rustling not far away from the meadow was heard. Earth nodded to Blaze and Ice. Storm has entered Earth’s realm and is on her way. After a few seconds the rustling became louder and a whirlwind came into view and when it stopped from spinning and their silver eyed, gray haired sister came striding down to her seat. Her skin is almost translucent, papery sometimes depending on her mood.

 

“You’re late” Blaze stood up, fire crackling from his feet.

 

“Time is inconsequential when you’re an immortal my brother and besides you guys are just early” Storm said extinguishing the fire on Blaze foot with a swipe of her hand.

 

Ice just shook her head. Everyone is early when she’s late.

 

“Let’s start this. I have harvests and plantings tomorrow” Earth said growing impatient.

 

“Who will start?” Blaze asked sitting down on the ground near the fire.

 

“Ice is the head of tonight’s gathering” Storm said and they all looked at where the frosty Ice was seated.

 

Ice crossed her leg over the other and sighed. “Well this is Earth’s realm might as well we start with him”

 

Blaze scooted a few inches away from the fire as Earth came to stand by the fire. He held his hand above the fire. Leaves, twigs and sand slither down from his hand and fell to the fire.

 

At first nothing happened but a few moments pictures came flickering on the now stilled fire. Earth started to tell his story…

 

“A couple months back nine teenagers came camping on my realm. I’d thought they’ll trash my kingdom and I’d have to figure out how to drive them out but it wasn’t necessary because I smelled revenge from within their group. Hunger for death and inflicting suffering, Somehow I knew blood will be spilled on the soil that will make my place strong”

 


 

# 1: Bloody Kisses: Take warning to the misfortunes of others

 

A blue van exited the freeway and drove into the dirt path until they reached the camper’s trails.

 

“Are you guys sure about this? There have been claims of missing and or dead campers for the last few weeks. I think we should wait until…”

 

“Until what Dongho? Until they are found? Until the killer is found? Please only the stupid one gets lost in these woods and there’s nine of us the killer won’t stand a chance!” Eli said.

 

“Don’t be such a baby Dongho” Soohyun added while giving Eli a high five.

 

“If you want you can go home Dongho, you can of course by yourself. Start walking now” Aj said annoyed.

 

“Guys stop messing with Dongho will ya?” Xander scolded their friends. He puts his arm around DongHo’s shoulder. “Don’t worry there’s nine of us and besides we have compasses and maps, we’re not going to get lost just stay on the trail” The youngest one on their group, DongHo, relaxed a bit because of him.

 

“And don’t forget about the best camper is with you” Kevin boasted

 

“Best camper? When and where? Boy’s scout? Please!” Eli shouted while digging out the camping bags out of the rear end of the van.

 

“More like Girl’s scout!” KiBum said while blowing Kevin kisses.

 

“Very funny will you guys stop with those gay jokes? I’m not gay” Kevin said and they all just laughed.

 

They’d travelled deep in the woods until the sun was at its peak and they decided to build camp on a clearing a few yards away from the trail. They cooked lunch and rested for awhile.

 

“I’ll wash up down on the stream” Hoon announced

 

“I’ll go with you” Kiseop said and both of them travelled down the stream while the rest of the group take their naps on their tents.

 

An ear-splitting scream swathe the whole place and everyone woke up and got out of their tents.

 

“What the was that?!”  Eli said a bit irritated but deep inside fear lingers.

 

“I don’t know but I don’t want to find out” DongHo answered.

 

“Is everyone okay?” Alexander asked, they all nodded but someone is missing.“Where are Hoon and Kiseop?” He asked again no one answered.

 

KiBum who was closest to the tent checked if they are still sleep. “Their tents are empty” and everyone’s faces went utterly pale.

 

“They went down to the streams before we all slept” Kevin remembered.

 

“It’s been two hours there’s no way in hell they’d be down there that long” Eli said he flew back to his tent and found his phone. He tried to call the two but they we’re out of reach. The others tried contacting them too but the result was the same.

 

“Break camp. We’ll look for them and then we’re out of here” Soohyun commanded.

 

In a few minutes everything is packed and ready. They all travelled down the streams to look for their missing friends but they found nothing except for the plastic containers of food they we’re supposed to wash.

 

“Guys look at this!” They all glance towards Kevin who was bending over the ground inspecting something. They all rush to his side.

 

Soohyun inspected it. “, its blood”

 

“Oh I knew camping wasn’t a good idea” DongHo said phasing the ground while weaving his fingers through his hair fighting the urge to cry.

 

“Shut up DongHo!” Aj lashed at him. “you’re not helping”

 

“Okay don’t panic we can’t be sure that it’s Hoon or Kiseop’s blood” Alexander reasoned and it seemed to relax the group a bit.

 

“We need to get out of here” DongHo

 

“And leave them? Some friend you are!” Eli pushed him.

 

“Guys cut it out” SooHyun cut them off getting in the middle. “We’ll find them we just have to split up”

 

“That’s stupid we shouldn’t separate” Kibum said and the others nodded.

 

“No someone should tell the police or even the rangers in this forest. Report to them what happened the others should wait in the bottom of the trails to wait for Kiseop or Hoon. We’ll leave them a message back at camp and here on the stream that we’d be waiting back in the car.” SooHyun explained.

 

“Okay I’ll go with the group who’s going to the police” DongHo said grabbing the opportunity to get out of the woods ASAP.

 

“I’ll go with you DongHo you can’t drive” Kevin volunteered no one protested.

 

“Okay Aj, Eli and Kibum go back to the clearing where we had camp and leave there a message. Alexander, you stay here with me, let’s meet on the trails as soon as you guys are done. DongHo and Kevin go on ahead” SooHyun Said and the grouping took off on their assigned tasks.

 

DongHo and Kevin trek down and headed towards their van.

 

Eli, Aj and Kibum wrote on the ground, they also used rocks and they even carved on some trees. Alexander and Soohyun put up messages too. After a few minutes they all met up on the trails just like they have agreed to but then another scream enveloped the forest and it caused havoc that made birds fly off. The voice or the scream was familiar to them.

 

“That’s Hoon!” Kibum said

 

“It’s in the direction of the stream!” Alexander sprinted. They all ran towards the stream and another scream filled their ears, it was a different one but all the same familiar to them.

 

“Ah Kiseop!” Eli growled.

 

They all called their friends’ name but no answer, no screams. Soohyun found another blood covered leaf and a few yards were another. They all followed the path of blood and fallen ferns all the way calling out their friends’ names.

 

At a clearing was where the trails of blood led them to. In the center stood a tall tree with a few low hanging branches is where they found their friends, dead covered with their own blood. Their mouths stuffed with their clothes with a long deep gash on their neck but what was terrifying was their wound on their left cheek. A kiss burn mark branded by hot metal.

 

“Oh God!” Alexander gasped in horror.

 

KiBum turned around and went puking all of his lunch clutching his stomach. SooHyun run towards his friends but Eli and Aj grabbed him.

 

“I need to save them” Soohyun hollered, struggling to get out of their grips.

 

“Soohyun you won’t be able to do anything by their looks we won’t be able to save them” Eli said and Aj just shook his head.

 

“Let me go!” SooHyun said on the verge of tears. “I’m so sorry” He broke down and they all shed tears for the death of their friends.

 

“We need to get out of here as soon as possible before the one responsible for our friends’ deaths come after us” Eli said and helped Soohyun up with Aj helping him too. Alexander took care of Kibum.

 

“We’ll get revenge SooHyun we’ll find the murderer but now we need to get the hell out of here before the sun sets” Eli promised.

 

“Call Kevin and DongHo tell them to wait for us” SooHyun told Alexander

 

“Should we tell them?” Alexander asked.

 

“Not on the phone” SooHyun said and they headed back to the trails to guide them out of the forest, While Alexander tried contacting both Kevin and DongHo. Their phones are out of reach.

 

After a few hours of trekking down they’ve finally reached the outside of the woods, the end of the trail but the only problem was their van was not in sight. They didn’t got worried because it only means Kevin and DongHo are on their way to the nearest police and they’ll come back for them with help.

 

They build camp there and cook food and eat until the sky started to darken, still there was no sign of their friends. They didn’t have a choice but to wait because they can’t walk up to the freeway because it was a really long walk and it’s going to be pitch dark.

 

Their phones are no use, it was a dead spot. They slept on their tents and rotated watchers during the night. They have decided to walk to the freeway first light tomorrow morning.

 

As they all sleep the killer sauntered for another kill.

 

Alexander woke up because of the alarm he set up on his phone. It was his turn to guard for the next hour. He’ll be relieving KiBum so he can sleep.

 

He donned his jacket, ped his tent quietly to prevent Eli from stirring awake. He slid out of the tent and zipped it back up. He can see Kibum leaning on a log, he’s back to him facing the bonfire they’ve made.

 

Alexander tiptoed towards him to try and scare him or to catch him sleeping. He was directly behind KiBum now but still he hasn’t shown any sign that he suspects Alexander’s childish plan.

 

Quickly, Alexander shook him with his hand on both of his shoulders “KiBum!” No response, not even a jerk from him. One thing about KiBum that Alexander was certain, he was a real light sleeper.

 

Confused he jumped over the log and saw what had caused KiBum not to respond. He was dead. Alexander checked his pulse, nothing but there was no visible wounds. He shouted for his friends and he lay KiBum’s body on flat ground and started pumping his chest and giving him air.

 

“Oh !” Soohyun was the first to approached followed by Eli and Aj

 

“Oh no KiBum!” Aj gasped in utter horror.

 

“What happened?” SooHyun asked and Eli was pacing behind him his hands on his hair yanking them.

 

“I don’t know I found him with no pulse and not breathing!” Alexander said in between chest s to KiBum but it wouldn’t do any good he’s been out of breath more than 5 mins.

 

After 4 cycles of CPR Alexander stopped exhausted clearly reviving their friend is futile attempt. They can’t do anything about it anymore.

 

“What are you doing don’t you ing stop!” SooHyun yelled tears welling up.   

 

“I’m sorry. We were too late” Alexander was crying too his head between his knees.

 

“No!” SooHyun denied. He palpated KiBum’s neck that’s when he noticed the mark. The side of Kibum’s neck was charred burned with the shape of puckering lips. Realization dawned on them. The killer is after them now and there was no sign of Kevin and DongHo.

 

“We need to get the hell out of here” SooHyun said terror evident. They all nodded in agreement as they saw the brand. They broke camp and in half an hour they were moving with their flash lights.

 

“We’re going to die” Aj whispered, his voice cracking.

 

“Shut up. There’s four of us whoever is out there killing he’s alone. He takes us down one by one. As long as we are together he can’t hurt us”

 

“Hang in there Aj” Alexander said giving him a warm smile.

 

Light flashed. Headlights were approaching them and sudden relief flooded them. They all look at each other to make sure everybody is seeing the car. When it came near they almost jumped for joy. It was their blue van.

 

Kevin went out of the car. They all rushed to him.

 

“What happened where is Kibum?” Kevin said noticing someone was missing.

 

No one said a thing but it was Soohyun who broke the silence “I’ll explain in the car”

 

Kevin nodded “Get in. Let’s get out of here” They all went in.

 

“Where’s DongHo?” Alexander asked

 

“I dropped him off at the Police station and let him explain to them and I headed back here when I read your messages. What the hell happened to Hoon, Kiseop and KiBum?” He asked and this time SooHyun patiently told him everything from the time Kevin and DongHo left up to the time he drove back to them.

 

The car was eerily quiet.

 

“When are the police coming?” Eli asked after the long moment of silence. Kevin was driving off to the freeway now.

 

“We can’t file a missing person report unless it’s been 24 hours since someone is missing. Let’s just drive back there it’s going to be a two hour drive rest for now I’ll wake you guys up when we get there”

 

SooHyun, Eli, Alexander and Aj woke up to a shrieking, It was unlike any other scream, and for one thing it was really close to them. It was dark and yet they weren’t inside the car anymore.

 

They were each bounded on a tree facing one another in a circular fashion. Another scream and it sounded someone they know.

 

“Please, please stop now!” said a hoarse voice. It was DongHo, Alexander realized.

 

“DongHo! Where are you!?” He called to him, He can’t see because it was just endless darkness.

 

“Alexander! Help! Help! He’s going to kill me” He screamed for help and then it was followed by a sinister laughter that made Aj shiver, SooHyun stiffen and Eli hopelessly tugged on the ropes but it was too tight.

 

“Show yourself coward!” Eli shouted. “You ing murderer!” laughter echoed in the dark woods.

 

Light flooded them, it was a bonfire lit with gasoline. They could smell it, they we’re close to the fire; they could feel the heat through their clothes. The first image they saw was the blood covered DongHo bounded on a tree just behind the fire alive but dying by the looks of how much blood he was losing, he just has a few minutes to live.

 

Then they saw who the murderer was.

 

“Why?” Alexander asked in utter disbelief, because he was a friend. At least he thought he was their friend “Why Kevin?”

 

“Untie me you gay ! Fight fair! I’ll turn you to bits for killing them!” Eli bantered, anger fuelling him to break the ropes.

 

“I’m not as stupid as you Eli! And stop trying to escape the bounds you’ll just end up hurt” Kevin said with mock care for his friend. He was taunting Eli. Eli cursed and spat streams of profanity to him that made Kevin laugh more. “Now who will I kill next after DongHo?”

 

Aj was now crying. Kevin noticed. “Look who’s crying like a girl! Who’s gay now?!”

 

“That’s it?! You killed them and now us because of a simple teasing? You took lives for god’s sakes because we joked of your uality?!” SooHyun accused him. “and what is your reason for killing the other campers before us?”

 

Kevin was suddenly in front of SooHyun. He whaled him on the gut. “ you! You’re simple teasing made me lose Angela which solidified my father’s suspicions! Your constant joke about my uality reached my father and he wouldn’t’ even believe me that it wasn’t true! He’s ing disowning me and my mother wouldn’t even talk to me now!”

 

“And don’t blame me for the deaths of the other campers. I don’t owe the credit in their deaths but I was thankful enough that you didn’t learn from their mistakes. You guys even suggested that we go camping just for the thrill of it and it opened a window of opportunity for me to kill each and every one of you!”

 

“You should have listened to DongHo when you had the time!”

 

“We didn’t mean for this to happen! DongHo didn’t do anything to you. Spare him!” Alexander pleaded.

 

“Didn’t mean!? Please! First of all you should all have known the implications of your actions. You Alexander didn’t tease me but you laugh at me and the jokes. You didn’t deny that I was gay when asked and you even tolerate the little fun of people thinking I was gay!”

 

Kevin was holding a combat knife. He held it up to SooHyun’s neck and pressed it, but not too deep, into his skin. Pain was felt and pool of blood started dripping from his neck. “Any last words SooHyun?”

 

“You ing !” Kevin just chuckled.

 

“That’s not gonna save your life Hyung” He said and went to the fire and got something. It was his branding iron, with the shape of lips. The metal was white because of the heat.

 

He faced them. “It’s true! I’m gay but I was willing to hide it for my father’s sake but you guys made my life a huge joke! You ing ruined my life! Now I have nothing! Nothing and I figure I’ll have your lives to my bidding!”

 

Kevin cut SooHyun’s shirt with his knife exposing his chest. “Now where will I brand you?” He said examining the planes of Soohyun’s chest looking for the right spot to brand him.

 

“Here” Kevin said gleefully pointing the place in the middle of his collarbones, just belong the throat. SooHyun didn’t say anything saving as much dignity he could. If he will die might as well die with dignity.  He will not beg for his life. He will not give Kevin that opportunity to see him beg like a fool.

 

He couldn’t hide the shout of pain that escaped his lips when the hot branding iron came in contact with his skin. Kevin pressed it harder to him and the smell of blood and charred skin filled the air.

 

When Kevin removed the metal, SooHyun was a bit unconscious because of the searing pain that engulfed him. Kevin tossed the branding iron back to the fire to re-heat it. He slapped SooHyun in the face “Wake up you ! I want to see your eyes when you know you’re going to die!” He said and laughed and he had his knife back on SooHyun’s throat and he slowly cut him there, SooHyun screamed and then it was just gurgling sound of blood then nothing.

 

“Well that was fun! Now who’s next?” Kevin strode to Aj and he knows he’s doomed. Alexander was praying for some miracle, some rescue, he prayed hard to God.

 

He branded Aj over his heart and slit him on the neck just like what he did to SooHyun. He picked Eli next and he muttered curses to Kevin, even trying to head bat him but Kevin was fast. “You naughty, naughty boy! Now where shall I brand you?” He said and knelt in front of Eli. “Ah, I know just the right place” He said. Eli knowing what he was planning started to move and trash. “Now, now don’t move or I’ll end up accidentally sticking my knife on you and that is no fun to watch”

 

Eli was branded on the hilt of his . Kevin giggled like a girl when Eli screamed and tears started to fall from his cheeks. “Such a baby! No. You’re the gay now!” He cut Eli slowly, slower than SooHyun’s. He cut him layer per layer of his skin and made Eli release agonizing cries.

 

Alexander was left and he desperately hoped that help will come. That he’d somehow get away from Kevin. He closed his eyes and he can feel Kevin’s gaze on him.

 

He felt Kevin breathe on his ear. “Praying to your God for help eh?” He whispered. “Tell him hi for me. You’ll meet him, I guess or maybe not. Say Hi to Satan for me okay?” he said with a laugh.

 

“Go to Hell!” Alexander said angrily to his former friend now fiend.

 

“I’m already am!” Kevin replied. He lifted Alexander’s shirt and pressed the branding iron on his stomach. Alexander black out because of the pain, it was just darkness. He prayed for it to end.

 

It ended.

 

---

 

The moving pictures on the fire seized and it was now just a normal bonfire. Earth stepped back and slumped back to his stump.

 

“What happened next?” Blaze asked “What happened to Kevin after he killed all his Friends?”

 

“Ow he’s here. One with the soil let’s just leave it to that” Earth answered and picked up something on the ground, it was the branding iron in the shape of lips. His siblings smiled. “Okay that’s my story. Who’s next?”

 

They all turned to Ice to say who’s going to tell their story. Ice sighed, she didn’t like to be in charged, and she doesn’t like to make decisions. “Blaze?”

 

“Yes!” Blaze abruptly stood up and got near to the flame, closer that Earth had been. Not surprisingly his clothes didn’t catch on fire though the flames are his clothes. He held his hand just above the fire and golden dust started to fall from his hands and the fire sizzled.