Just a Memory

Phoenix Writing Request Shop

 

 

Username: kiralol101

Main Characters: Na Young (OC) and Eunhyuk

Song: Howie Day - Collide

Author's Note: Hello dear readers! I've actually finished the first request that I received! I'm so excited! :D I hope that it fits your expectations, kira. I really tried hard to portray Na Young to the best of my ability. I'm glad that I actually got to write a Super Junior story (not biased at all, I swear) xDD Thanks for the request and I hope that you request soon enough~ I can't write much of a note today because it's already late and I'll be dead at work if I don't go now. Take care and I love you all~ ^_____^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

              Air as quiet as a mortuary but as thick with anxiety as a room full of people preparing to take the college entrance exams, five girls sat in a row, waiting for the verdict to rise. Two of the girls sat close together, silently giving each other strength, while another tried her best to join in and gain courage from them as well. The last pair sat on opposite ends, unable and unwilling to join in with the others. From an outsider’s point of view, the girls could very well be strangers instead of a group that had been producing music together for close to eight years—not to mention training for around three years.

                Glancing over at the one that sat at the front of the lineup of chairs, my hopes dropped even further. How could so many scandals appear against her in such a critical time? What was she going to do? How was she fairing? Whenever I laid my eyes upon our leader, such questions would arise, but I would quickly swallow them up and keep myself from saying a word. With the possibility of what could happen to me, I was scared to reach out to the other girls beside me. I saw what the other three did to our leader, so I purposefully distanced myself from all four of them so the same didn’t happen to me.

                “Rae, please come in,” an official said as he stepped out of the conference room to lead us in one by one so that we could be told our different fates. Breath catching at the base of my throat, I watched as our leader quietly stood up, the usual fire in her eyes now as dull and dark as coal. Fright spreading throughout my chest, I abruptly stood up.

                “Unnie,” I softly uttered. Her eyes scanning over me, Rae forced a reassuring smile to stretch across her face before she followed the official into the threatening room. Feeling like I was going to become sick, I slowly took my seat and waited for her to leave. It took about fifteen minutes before Rae was released from the meeting with the group of representatives of the company, doing her best not to cry. Dread washing over me, I sat forward to hear what she was told.

                “I guess it’s time to brush up on my Chinese,” she coldly stated before storming off. Knitting my brows together as my heart began to hurt, I looked at the other three.

                “Chinese? That can’t mean…” the one beside me started only to trail off with a laugh. “She’s being sent to China?” she finished and looked towards the second oldest girl to back her up. But the girl wasn’t focusing on what she said. Instead, her focus was glued to the wall in front of her, a look of terror clouding her once glassy light brown eyes.

                “Maya, we would like to see you now,” the official that had brought Rae to her depressing fate announced. Shakily standing up, the frightened girl inched forward only to stumble along the way. The one that had been sitting beside her quickly stood up to help her, but she corrected herself and finally followed the man inside of the room. This time, it took longer until the door was opened and out stepped a relieved looking Maya who rushed to the girl who was next and pulled her up.

                “We’re going to become a group, Chin Mae! Just the two of us!” she happily introduced. Gasping, the other laughed and from there they left us, excitedly chatting about what could happen, not even phased by the fact that the five of us were breaking up.

                “Liz,” the official called, forcing me to pry my eyes away from the two girls that disappeared from sight to focus on the one beside me. Noting her watery eyes, I reached over to give her a reassuring squeeze on the hand. However, she pulled away before I could even touch her and confidently strutted inside. Despite her confidence, her meeting was the shortest of the three as she burst from the room, tears spilling from her eyes. Worried, I debated against following the official inside to chase after her and see what was wrong. Chewing on my bottom lip, I glanced in the official’s direction as he coldly beckoned me inside.

                Ever since our company brought in another group—SNSD—and focused mainly on them, our group started to fall in a downward spiral. At first, we put our all into the little bit we were given. Our hearts were strained as we strived to the best of our ability to keep our heads above water. There was even a time when were united through our trials, but that quickly fell apart as each one of us realized how near the end for us was. Fights became frequent and we were divided. What better way to bring us down is there than to attack us when we weren’t in unison any longer? SM was slowly snuffing us out like the flame on a thin white candle that had yet to melt its way down to the core.

                “Na Young-ssi, it would be better for us to get straight to the point. Your vocals are pretty strong and your overall capability to be an all-round celebrity is outstanding, but we feel like it’s not enough to make you become a soloist in our company. We deliberately gave Maya the choice to decide between you and Chin Mae, and she chose against our expectations. As of right now, we don’t know what to do with you. A few companies have been asking if they could use you, so we might send you to one after close consideration. That is, if you want to continue on with your career. If not, we will be sure to take care of you. Either way, we will let you know as soon as we come upon a solution,” the man at the head of the table announced. At that, the one who had led me inside stood up and gestured for me to leave. Numbly standing, I did as I was told.

                The company didn’t want me, but still wanted to use my talents for profit? Did that make any sense? I knew that since I wasn’t as close to Maya as Chin Mae was she didn’t choose me to continue. So, I didn’t blame them for starting something on their own. I simply wished that this didn’t happen to our group. We were doing just fine before SNSD came around. We had fans that popped out of the seams at our concert halls, our songs were well known and we always received all-kills on our album sales, yet we were becoming like those groups that disappear with no one remembering the name we tried so hard to set. Our time spent as a group was slowly becoming a memory in the back of everyone’s mind.

                “Na Young Sunbae-nim!” a male voice gasped when I wasn’t watching where I was going and smashed into the owner. Snapping to attention right as I hit the floor, I blinked up at him only to realize that it was another idol that I collided with. Wincing, I stood up on my own, apologized with a bow and headed on without letting another word escape his mouth.

                Before our group debuted, there was a time when Rae and I would sneak to the room where the male trainees practiced. At the time, I was too shy to mingle with the boys, so we would secretly peak our heads in and watch the perspective idols. Such an action became so mechanical that even after we debuted, we would continue to look in. One day, we peeked in on the boys that were set to debut in Super Junior not long after us while they were learning the dance for their debut. The one idol I felt anything for stood in the front line, closest to the instructor and caught my eye with his flawless moves. Ever since then, I would constantly look for only him. I even secretly stole away to watch their debut stage so that I could see him perform on stage in front of skeptical fans.

                Unknowingly, Eunhyuk became someone that inspired me to do better. At first, I was one of the members that weren’t well known. I was only known by my pretty looks, and that was it. Because of him, I snuck into a practice room late at night and would work on my own skills, trying to be just as flawless as he was, which resulted in my ability to become known for my vocal and dancing skills. When he became an MC to different shows because of his skills, I appeared in as many dramas as I possibly could. Yet, I never gained the courage to actually spend time with him and get to know him.

                Huffing out a sigh, I sat at a small gathering of chairs in the lobby of the company and bent over until my elbows were on my knees and my forehead was pressed to my fists. There, I remained still, allowing my thoughts to race, wishing that they would somehow sort themselves out. What was going to happen to me was the reoccurring theme among the jumbled mess, and the thought forced my body to start trembling. I was terrified that all of my hard work was going to go down the drain in the blink of an eye.

                “Ah, Na Young Sunbae-nim!” a familiar voice called out. Taking a deep breath, I took a second to gather my composure before I straightened only to stop at the sight of Eunhyuk making his way towards me, wearing an awkward expression on his face. “I’ve been trying to find you, he beamed, giving me his famous gummy smile.

                “Why?” I questioned, grimacing inwardly when I heard how cold I sounded.

                “Because Hyung-nim asked me to give this to you,” he awkwardly replied, his smile fading as he handed over an envelope. Raising an eyebrow, I accepted it and peered inside. Seeing that there was only a wad of money, I frowned and offered it back.

                “I don’t want this,” I numbly stated, looking up at him with a blank expression. Ignoring the envelope that I was pressing his way, he moved to sit next to me.

                “Sunbae-nim, just take it. They’ve screwed you over, so why would you not take the money they freely hand to you? If you want, you can even hand it out to random people in the street, but don’t give it back,” he bluntly instructed. Thinking it through, I lowered my hands to my lap.

                “Did they give the others money too?”

                “Most likely, and they might have given a bigger sum to those staying,” he sighed. Feeling the sting of tears at the corner of my eyes, I stared at the envelope in my hands, willing myself not to cry in front of another idol. “You know what? Come on,” he randomly blurted, grabbing a hold of my elbow and forcefully helped me up. Confused, I allowed him to push me towards the exit.

                “Eunhyuk-ssi…” I trailed off, turning to look at the man that had started to push me from behind.

                “I’ve decided, we’re going to have a day of fun, just the two of us. I’m pretty stressed myself, so let’s put everything to the side and enjoy ourselves,” he insisted, continuing to push me. Using as much strength as I could, I tried to stop him. Nearly pushing me over in the process, Eunhyuk finally let go of me with a questioning look crossing over his beautiful features.

                “Don’t push me the entire way,” I demanded with a slight smile. Sure, I thought it was slightly reckless to go play at such a critical moment, but the thought of forgetting for at least a little while was so compelling that I couldn’t reject. In fact, I was so drawn to the idea that I knew I would regret if I didn’t follow through. Returning the smile, Eunhyuk stepped aside to let me lead the way.

                “Ah! Wait!” he called out once I took a step in the direction of the door. Raising an eyebrow, I stopped in my tracks and waited for him to reply. Giving me yet another smile, he snuck off, out of my sight. Not sure how he disappeared so quickly, I spun around twice before giving up. “Noona!” his same voice sounded as he ran towards me, a curly brown wig flopping on his head along the way.

                “What are you—”

                “Hurry and put this on, Noona,” he pleaded, shoving a ridiculous looking hat, a huge black hoodie which I would never wear, and a pair of huge sunglasses my way.

                “Hey…I’m not your Noo-” I started only to be cut off by him pressing the two things into my hands.

                “Come on, Noona,” he sniffed with a wink before sliding on his own pair of sunglasses. Huffing out a sigh, I looked down at the things in my possession before slipping into the hoodie, stuffing my hair into the hat and placing the sunglasses onto the brim of my nose.

                “Hyung! Wait up!” I called out, doing my best not to make my voice sound as soft as it normally would.

                “Hyun?” the insane idol asked, turning his head. Snorting, he turned back around and continued on his way. “You look like a very feminine guy, Young-ah,” he commented.

                “A very feminine guy who could get all of the ladies,” I proudly stated.

                “You like the idea of being able to get all of the ladies? Too bad you can’t get any men,” he teased, stopping once more to glance over me.

                “Hey! I can get men! I’m an idol for goodness’ sake. I’m the girl of most guys’ dreams. Who could ever resist this charming face?” I interrogated as I pulled off my sunglasses to smile up at him. However, he stood there blinking before grinning goofily.

                “Fine, fine, you win. Let’s go before someone catches us!” he insisted and strutted on. Making a face, I grumpily shoved the glasses back on and followed. If I really was irresistible like I claimed, then why didn’t the man I want make any sign that he wanted me too? All he was focused on was to have a good time away from the stress of his idol life and nothing else. Rolling my shoulders, I decided to put everything behind and go along with his line of thought.

                Despite my worries, the entire day seemed like an adventure that I never wanted to end. At first, we walked along the nearest market place, admiring the work people put into the items they were selling. When we eventually stopped at a fish cake stand, a couple of fans stated that we looked oddly familiar. Without being able to get our food, Eunhyuk grabbed my wrist and we bolted. For a little while, the fans chased after us, demanding to know who we were, but we somehow lost them in the end. On a random street, we sat against a wall to catch our breath and talked about ridiculous things. When we were ready to head on to something else, it dawned on us that we were lost and didn’t know our way back. After hours of walking, we gave up and decided to call someone. The first person we were able to get in contact with was Donghae who simply laughed at us and told us that he didn’t know directions any more than we did. Not wanting to call the company, we tried to ask the people who lived around us. Once we finally got the answer we were searching for, we thanked them and made our way back, figuring out that we ended up further away from the known areas than we thought. After we were back to where we started, we were all out of ideas. The last choice we had was to go and sit down at the closest food shop that we could find.

                “I’m never doing this again,” I huffed out when Eunhyuk sat our food and drink down.

                “Never again?” he sullenly asked, his smile wiped from his face.

                “What? You liked it?”

                “I…enjoyed the thrill,” he pouted. “And…being with you. It was fun,” he awkwardly answered. Nearly choking on my drink, I set it down and stared him, wondering if there was a true meaning behind his words. Actually, I really wished that he did have a meaning behind them. “I mean, I’ve heard from multiple people that despite your steely cold persona in front of fans and cameras, you’re actually really fun to be around. Experiencing it first hand was better than anything,” he went on to say.

                “Oh,” I started, my heart falling. “I see,” I whispered, looking down in disappointment. Opening my mouth to say something else, I was instantly silenced by my phone ringing. Looking back up at Eunhyuk, I sighed, pulled out my phone and turned it off.

                “You’re not answering?” he inquired.

                “I’m not going back today,” I muttered, getting up to throw my stuff away. After a handful of hours of freedom, I didn’t want it to disappear just like that. Pressing my lips together, I glanced back at Eunhyuk before heading out.

                “Na Yo—” he called, stopping when he remembered where we were. “Young-ah!” he called when he followed me out of the building, trying to catch up with me. Stopping, I turned to face him. “Where are you going?” he questioned. “It’s already dusk, isn’t it time to head back?”

                “Didn’t I say that I wasn’t going? If you want to go back, then do it. I can take care of myself,” I stated and turned away.

                “Young-ah…”

                “It’s the first time when I don’t have to worry about what’s going to happen to me. I just want to perform, yet they’re kicking me away. I don’t want to crash like Liz Unnie,” I snapped. “You know what? I’m so scared right now that I want to run away. I need tonight to get my head on straight before I do something rash. Everyone needs time to themselves to stand tall and take on the world’s many trials. I’m not perfect, so can’t I do the same? Is that selfish of me?” I demanded, not wanting him to see the tears slipping down my cheeks.

                “Young-ah…” he repeated, softly. “Where will you go?”

                “Wherever it is that I won’t be found,” I whispered and forced myself to move forward. Thinking that he wasn’t following, I bowed my head and let the tears slide down more freely than before. In the end, the only place I could decide on was a hotel, but the only hotels around were shady places that I never had enough courage or reason to enter in the past. Taking a deep breath, I entered one and stepped up to the front desk. “Can I get a room?”

                “For how many?”

                “Two,” Eunhyuk’s voice sounded behind me, making me jump out of my skin. Frowning, I just stood there glaring at him. “What? Can’t I take a longer break too? Also, I can’t let you go in here alone,” he insisted with a small grin. Trying my best not to smile, I eased my gaze and traded the money in for a key. Stealing a quick glance towards the man beside me, I stepped in the direction of our room.

                The rest of the night, instead of anything drastic, we stayed up talking for as long as we could until Eunhyuk actually passed out. Snorting at the sight of a man who was the face of most girls’ fascinations laid back and hanging open and drool seeping out of the corner of his mouth, I pulled the blanket off of the bed and laid it over his body. Afterwards, I curled up on a chair and let my thoughts flow.

                “You’re up?” Eunhyuk’s voice groggily sounded after what seemed like ages. Jumping in surprise, I looked his way, watching as he sleepily sat up. Nodding, I smiled and tightened my arms around my knees. “Did you sleep at all?” he asked. Shaking my head, I continued to sit in silence, my heart racing a slight bit at the thought of seeing him wake up for the first time.

                “I’ve thought it through, though. I believe that I’m ready to head back,” I quietly stated. Taking a minute to process what I said, his eyebrows rose in shock.

                “Really?” he curiously probed. Nodding, I bit my bottom lip and got up.

                “I want to face whatever I’m given without regrets.”

                “Well, whatever it is, I’ll help you to the best of my ability,” he insisted, getting up as well and crossed the room to stand in front of me. Smiling, I quietly thanked him and wrapped my arms around him. Shocked, he too hugged me for a little while until I pulled away and decided it was time to get ready. Once satisfied with my appearance, I squared my shoulders and stepped out of the room. “Na Young,” Eunhyuk called. Unconsciously, I spun around only to have his lips collide with mine. Cheeks heating up, I pulled away. “Fighting,” he whispered, kissed my forehead and passed me. Secretly smiling to myself, I did my best to follow. No matter what happened to me in the nearest future, my heart was finally able to take it on head first. If that meant falling down, I could easily pick myself up. Thanks to Eunhyuk, I was given the chance to take my off of everything, and I was able to feel like a bird taking off for flight once more.