Chapter three: Frustration

Lying is not part of the Agenda

I groaned and pushed myself into a sitting position. I’m in my room and it’s dark outside. , how long was I out?

“You’re finally up Ms!” My head turned to see a young maid gasp and place the tray of food she was carrying, gently on my bedside table.

I struggled to get up but winced as a needle connected into my wrist twisted in denial. I pulled the thing out and threw it aside. I don't need it.

I stood up and felt my head whirl. Damn. The same maid as before came scurrying into my room again. I felt something cold on my palm and popped my medicine into my mouth before gulping it down with a glass of water.

She patted my head with a cold wet towel. It felt good but I was still scowling.

“How long was I out for this time?” I asked monotonously.

She bit her lip under my chilling glare and checked the clock hanging on the wall.

“It’s been two days Ms.” She explained.

I grabbed the towel from her hands and threw it to one corner.

“ this !” I screamed and bolted out the door.

My head hurt and my body felt weak but I didn’t care. I wanted to get out of this sick place; I needed to. From my peripheral vision, I noticed Dad coming out from the kitchen in his wheelchair with my stepmother behind him.

I ignored his pleas and left the house. I took the silver Lamborghini out this time. I was hardly even appropriately dressed under the circumstances that I was still wearing alphabet printed black pajamas.

I stormed into a convenience store and browsed through the available cotton shirts they had. I changed into a common plain red t-shirt and bought a new pair of slippers – better than the hotel slippers I had on at the moment.

I also bought a carton of beer. It was about ten o’clock at night and I hardly felt like sleeping. A bar would be pointless with the clothes that I’m wearing so cliché enough, I drove straight to the Han River to have my drink.

The park was still fairly crowded with couples on dates and adults enjoying a late night jog with their dogs. I found an empty bench and sat down with my legs crossed. My body let out an involuntary shiver. Despite that, I opened a can and took a gulp.

I coughed almost immediately and the golden liquid spewed out from my mouth. I cursed vehemently and drank again. The bridge was not lighted up so it was eerily dark and silent if not for the crowd.

Sudden warmth enveloped me as a thick black jacket covered by trembling figure. I turned to see who was there but looked ahead again when I realized it was just Park. He said nothing and when I picked up my can again he stole it from me.

I scowled and stubbornly tried opening another one. He sighed and explained that my father had telephoned Yerin to check on me but she grew worried when she heard that I left.

“So, what the hell are you doing here Park? Don’t bull me by saying you’re going on some jog or .” I smirked and finished my third can.

He shook his head and took a small sip from my stolen can.

“I would like to ask you the same question. I didn’t know walking around in half pjs were in fashion Lee Eunri.” He answered.

I scoffed and ended up coughing again. He dragged me forcefully by the wrist and buckled me into his car. He said that he would get somebody to bring my car back for me and called Yerin on the way back to my house.

I was stubbornly silent the entire trip until Park put down his phone and spoke to me.

“Maybe you need someone to change too.”

I opened my eyes and stared at him with half-lidded eyes.

He continued to stare forward as he explained, “Just like Yerin. Maybe you need someone to find some true purpose in your life. Someone that can make you genuinely happy.”

I laughed. “Narcissist.”

His husky laughter joined mine and I was thankful for his attempt to distract me. It worked.

Yerin fussed over me and nagged at me when I stepped into the house till 12.30am before leaving with Park. I nodded at appropriate moments and closed the door with barely any strength left.

“I don’t need anyone to help me live my life.” I muttered under my breath.

A brown envelope was sitting quietly on the coffee table. I looked closer and found my name written on it. I smirked.

It was a list of marriage candidates. , I would applause to anyone who can handle someone as mad as I was. I laughed out loud and cackled even louder when I saw my stepmother from the porch glaring down at me.

I stopped laughing when I saw my father sitting right beside her.

He looked so frail and old. An annoying strand of white hair curled out of place on his almost bald head and he had many wrinkles on his round face. I forgot when was the last time I loved him.

“What happened to you my dear Eunri?” He croaked. He looked like he was about to cry yet I didn’t feel anything at all.

My eyes were cold, hard and ruthless. I almost felt bad until I remembered that this was exactly like how my father’s eyes looked like when my mother died. She was calling for him; pleading and crying endlessly. He wouldn’t batter an eyelash; he didn't give a damn at all.

“She grew up.” My voice was barely audible but I was sure that he could hear every word. His grave expression gave me the confirmation that I needed.

I shut the door to escape seeing my father’s tears. But my knees buckled instantly - I could still hear him sobbing.