Chapter two: Envy

Lying is not part of the Agenda

“Eunri, stop work early and make some free time this evening.” Yerin’s cool voice sounded in my ears.

“I can’t. Damn busy. What about Park?” I answered. Park was what I called Yerin’s fiancé.

I heard her scoff and I laughed despite the extra company I had in my office. She started to whine about how she did not have much time till the wedding and that she needed me to be with her to choose her dress.

I paused to think about it. I knew that she was an extremely busy woman as well and hardly took any leave from her job as a doctor in a private hospital. I reluctantly agreed. I was half-heartedly listening to her squeal while thinking about how to make up for time lost in the office.

I told her I would call her later and resumed the company meeting with representatives from other various companies.

Evening came sooner than expected and I was reminded every few minutes by my buzzing phone to meet Yerin on time. Annoying, little brat, I thought to myself and walked out of the office.

She was having the time of her life. I was having a hard time helping her choose because she looked stunning in every dress that she has put on for the last half an hour.

Yerin had a gorgeous S-line figure and beautiful silky long black hair. Her eyes were bright with vitality and her cheeks flushed pink whenever she steps out from the changing room.

Love.

Love, changed her. Once a rigid and cold person turned into such a delightful and dainty lady. All thanks to Park. I made a mental note to treat him for dinner soon.

“Yerin ah, you look beautiful.” A husky voice came from the door.

I smirked without turning back.

“Oppa, what are you doing here?” Yerin shrieked and half-ran to the door.

I shook my head. She’s acting like a ten year old child and not a twenty-five year old woman. But I couldn’t help but smile when he lifted her easily into his arms and twirled a round or two.

I was suddenly reminded about that fateful night when Yerin called me out to have wine with her. It has been awhile since I met up with her so I agreed and drove to her place.

Two years ago…

I brushed my hair with my fingers and plopped onto her inviting white-leathered couch. I stretched my sore arms and asked her what was with the sudden invitation. Something was different, I thought.

She gulped nervously and poured the wine into two clear glasses. I decided to give her time, it was pretty amusing seeing her all flustered for the first time since I’ve met her. It showed that she was at least human – unlike me.

“Eunri ah,” She began and took a sip of wine.

I smiled and said nothing. I took a sip as well. I closed my eyes to savour the taste. I love white wine.

“I think I’ve fallen in love.”

I opened my eyes. Before my mouth spoke she started rambling about how she met Park in the hospital. He was admitted because of a severe cough and she went on and on about how they went on their first date. I was really, really bored but I knew there was no stopping her once she was caught up in something.

I saw passion in her eyes and maybe, just maybe I was slightly envious of what she had that I don’t.

“Eunri? Eunri ah!” I awoke from my daze and half-grinned when she came out in another lovely white dress.

“This is the one.” Park announced while getting up from his chair and going over to Yerin again.

“Oh, brother.” I sighed and got up.

Yerin shot me a sheepish look, followed by her gorgeous fiancé; I took it as my queue to leave. I waved them goodbye and found my car before driving home. I tossed my car keys on the table and searched for food in the kitchen.

A sudden pain jolted through my body. I collapsed. My fingers clutched tightly on my crumpled black pants. The pain intensified then I heard screaming. It had my voice.

“Eunri ah!” My stepmother yelled.

Out of all people, why her, I thought. She stepped over me to grab my medicine and pulled me into a sitting position. I gasped. It wasn’t that woman; it was Mom.

Mom forced the medicine into my mouth and I gagged as water was forced down my throat. As I coughed, I felt a sharp sting on my right arm. I blinked to focus. I still couldn’t see clearly but one thing I knew for sure was – no, Mom won't do this to me.

I passed out before I could make sure.