You're Special

To Husband, From Wife

 

 

“Ne, Omma!” Sunggyu put the plastic bag of the things he bought and quickly helped his mother. He took as many clothes as he could and ran into the house. A few minutes later, his mother showed up with clothes on her hands. “Oh, Omma. Let me help you.”

 

Mrs. Kim smiled to her son. “Thank you, dear. Oh, my! I forgot to check the mailbox.”

“Never mind, Omma. I’ll go check it up. Just stay here. I don’t want you to get sick.” Sunggyu scrunched his nose and went out. He opened the umbrella and walked carefully to the mailbox.

 

There were three letters in it. Sunggyu looked at each of the letters. Appa, Appa, Appa. No more letter for me, wife?  He pouted and spun around to enter his house.

 

“Sunggyu.” He froze on his spot. But then, he slowly turned around.

He raised his brows in annoyance. “What?” Taeyeon bit her bottom lips nervously. Her eyes were travelling widely with no direction and that made her looked more suspicious. Sunggyu narrowed his eyes to her. “If you’re just calling me to annoy me, then I will go,” he snapped and began his pace to enter the house.

“Wait!” She finally spoke. Again, hesitance made her lost her words. She stared at the dark sky above her and simply knew that sooner, the rain will pour down heavily. “Well. Is there a new student, called, Kang Haenim in your class?”

That name caught Sunggyu’s attention. He turned his head towards her and nodded. “Yeah. She’s a new student from countryside. She’s sitting in front of me and Dongwoo. To be honest, she's pretty.” He shrugged innocently.

 

Hearing the last sentence from his lips, Taeyeon began to feel something. Something weird. Something unwanted. Something that probably called, jealousy grew inside her. “Oh, okay,” she replied shortly and went inside her house, leaving Sunggyu dumbfounded.

 

-  -  -  -  -  -  - 

 

 

Television was on, but Sunggyu wasn’t watching it. His attention was more on his book. Yeah, bookworm boy. “So, there’s really another life when someone went into coma. I see.” He flipped to the next pages. “Several peoples cried badly when they’d awake from their 'long sleep'. They said, their lives in the coma were very beautiful and peaceful.” His lips curved up into a smile. “Now, I wish to be in coma condition.” He giggled to himself.

 

“Stop talking nonsense, Sunggyu.” A soft voice interrupted his thoughts. He closed the book and moved aside to give Mrs. Kim a space to sit on the couch. He smiled brightly to her.

“They said, they were having a very beautiful lives when they were in a coma. Doesn’t it sounds great, Omma?” Sunggyu beamed happily like a little kid. That was the other side of him. Whenever he was with his beloved mother, he will be just like a baby. But when he was with his buddies, he probably a cool guy.

 

Mrs. Kim shook her head, amused with his behaviour. “Whatever in your mind, son. By the way, I was curious about something since in the evening.” She tapped her chin while Sunggyu tilted his head, waiting for his mother to speak up. “How did you know I’m going to ask you to buy those things?”

His smiled manly. “I have a great telepathy.” He joked. Mrs. Kim slapped his shoulder playfully and urged him to tell her the truth. “You really want to know about it? But, I’m sure, you will never believe me.” He pouted.

 

“Tell me first, honey.” She ruffled his hair.

Sunggyu nodded and got up from the couch. “Wait here, Omma.” With that, he ran to upstairs and went down back in a few seconds later.

 

Mrs. Kim on the other hand was wondering of what her son gonna show her.

 

“I’m back! Omma, take a look at this.” His breathing was uneven as he sat beside his mother. He handed her a letter which he received from his wife. The elder gazed at him in confusion and Sunggyu understood the look on her face. “Well, I know about the ingredients from this letter. My wife gave it to me,” he said in excitement. “Come on. Read it, Omma.”

 

She nodded with her eyes were still stuck on Sunggyu. She opened the piece of that folded paper gently. She looked at the white paper in her hands.

“She wrote everything. And that everything really happened, Omma.”

Her gaze shifted to Sunggyu. Her expression was unreadable and simply made Sunggyu felt uneasy. “Sunggyu. Are you sure you’re reading something on this paper? Look. There’s nothing written on it.”

 

He was shocked. The excitement on his face gone. Like a wind. He took the letter from his mother and blinked in confusion. He gazed at the letter and smiled. The beautiful handwritting with a sincere words were still on the paper. No changes. “What are you talking about? Now, let me read what did she wro-”

“Okay, enough Kim Sunggyu! Maybe, you’re just hallucinating.” Mrs. Kim rise up from the couch and walked to the kitchen.

 

Sunggyu was lost. Lost deep in his own thought. How could Omma can’t see it? Is that mean, I’m a crazy guy? He shook his head to gain some sense and read the paper back. He then noticed something about the letter. It wasn’t a letter he got before. It was a new letter from her.

 

Dear husband,

Don’t ever think you are crazy just because other people can’t see what I wrote for you. It it just, you’re special.

You’re someone I love. And of course, you’re the only one who can read this love letter.

Can you do me a favor, sweetie? I don’t like the way you treat Taeyeon. Both of you had been friends for years, right? That’s mean, you should treat her well. The cover may look she dislikes you. But, you don’t know what the truth if you didn’t open the book and read it. Understand it. Am I right, honey? Hahaha.

 

And one more thing. I would like to remind you not to be near with that new girl. That’s all. Good night and switch off the TV if you aren’t watching it! Love you.

 

 

Lots of Love,

Your wife.

 

 

The cover may look she dislikes you. But, you don’t know what the truth if you didn’t open the book and read it. What was this supposed to be meant? I don’t get it.” He scratched the back of his neck while trying to understand that one sentence. Maybe I should ask Woohyun later. But why did you keep forbidding me to be near with Haenim? I don’t understand that part too.