Vinegar and Ketchup Sauce

To Husband, From Wife

 

 

Finally, recess time! That was the precious time where students would fill their tummy with a lof of foods. And Infinite was included. They, like the others, rushing to cafeteria to buy foods before they were bought by other people.

 

“Hyung, let me buy your food and you go search a place for us, ne?” Woohyun patted Sunggyu’s shoulder. He nodded and took out his wallet. He gave Woohyun some money and walked freely while his eyes were looking around, finding any empty place to be seated.

 

Gotcha!  He smiled widely as he found one, which was enough for the seven of them to sit. He quickly went to the table and put his notebook on it. In the same time, someone did it too. Sunggyu was startled. He lifted up his head and their eyes met.

“Tsk! Go away, hamster. I got this place first.” It was no other then his own enemy, Taeyeon. She rolled her eyes and simply sat on one of the chair. Sunggyu frowned and spun around to find other place. He wasn’t in a good mood, so he didn’t want to have any argument with her. Taeyeon looked at him in shock. She knew, Sunggyu will probably fought her back. What’s wrong with Gyu?

 

“Hyung, you didn’t find any?” Infinite had done with buying foods. Sunggyu shook his head.

“I had found one but Taeugly took it. Let's just sit there.”

The six of them looked at him in amused. They really knew their bad relationship and they liked it because it simply looked cute. “Oh. Taeyeon noona?” Sungjong asked, interested. Sunggyu nodded.

“Taeugly? Oh, hyung. She’s one of the prettiest girls, you know. But, I don’t understand why she keeps breaking up with her boyfriends lately?” Hoya tapped his chin.

The older narrowed his eyes. “Shut up. I don’t know anything about her life and I don’t care. Now eat,” he said and began to dig in his food like a starving people.

 

The seven of them were silent, enjoying their foods when suddenly, Dongwoo voiced out. “What the heck Haenim doing with Eunji?” Hearing his statement, their heads turned to a direction where Haenim was sitting together with Eunji, having their lunchboxes together. Haenim told Eunji something and the both of them laughed. “This is the first time I saw Eunji has a friend,” Dongwoo commented.

“Woah. Who’s that girl, Hyung? I never see her before.” Sungyeol looked very interested.

“Yeah, I never see her too. New student?” Myungsoo added.

 

Dongwoo smiled widely. “That’s our new classmate. She’s sitting beside that nerd, you see. And what I hate the most is…” he stopped and shifted his gaze to Sunggyu. The others looked at him, waiting impatiently for him to continue his words. “Haenim stared at that guy for God knows how long it is!” His finger was proudly pointing on Sunggyu.

Sunggyu scoffed. “That’s not my fault. I’m attractive.” He was full of himself.

 

“EWW, I WANT TO VOMIT!” They chorused.

 

 

-  -  -  -  -  -  -

 

The bell rang loudly, telling the students that they may leave. Sunggyu packed his things and bid a goodbye to Dongwoo who was still packing his things up. “Hyung, wait. Can you accompany me to meet Teacher Han in the staff room?” Dongwoo asked him while his eyes were busy searching for something in his bag.

 

Sunggyu shrugged. “Sure, why not.” He simply answered and  tucked his both hands in his pocket. But then, he felt something… Wait, I put all the money in my bag. So, there should be nothing in my pocket unless it is… He took out the thing in his pocket which its texture felt like a paper. And, yes. His guess was right when that was no other than a letter. A letter from my wife.

He looked at Dongwoo. “Dongwoo-ah, I’ll be back.” He quickly walked to the outside of the classroom. There was no more student left except for several which may have an extra class or practising for sports. As only he thought everything safe, he began to open the letter.

 

 

Dear husband,
Please go back home now. Tomorrow, you’re going to have a test, right? So, you must take care of yourself or else, you’re going to be sick.
Don’t worry about Dongwoo. He’ll be fine. Just, go back home now. I repeat, NOW.
 
And one more thing, Sunggyu. Drop at the grocery shop nearby, buy a bottle of vinegar and ketchup sauce. That’s all, honey. Remember, take care. I love you very much.
 
Lots of love,
Your wife.

 

You want me to go back home now, wife?  Sunggyu’s forehead furrowed in confusion. “Why on Earth I have to buy those things?” He tilted his head, wondering, but he just can’t guess anything. He glanced at his classroom where Dongwoo was still in it. Then, his gaze landed back on the letter. He shook his head eagerly. Mianhe, Dongwoo-ah.

 

Sunggyu ran as fast as he could. It had been quite long time he didn’t run except for PE class. He didn’t know why, but it simply made him felt good. Felt happy. For no reason. Haha. This is weird. He then spotted a grocery shop and went to it. As how the things were written in the letter, he bought them. Vinegar and ketchup sauce. He smiled in satisfaction and delightedly walked to his home sweet home.

 

After a fifteen minutes of walking plus running, he was now standing in front of the gate of his house. He pressed the code carefully and the small gate opened, welcoming him. He stepped in and locked it back.

 

“Omma, I’m home!” he shouted happily.

“Oh, sweetie. You’re home? Wait there, don’t open your shoes!” Mrs. Kim hollered from inside. Sunggyu froze on his spot. She then came back and handed him some money. “Buy me a bottle of vinegar and ketchup sauce, sweetie.” She blinked her eyes sweetly while Sunggyu blinked in confusion.

 

He showed her a plastic bag which contained the things she wanted him to buy. “I’ve bought them. Here.”

Mrs. Kim’s eyes widen. “How did you- OH, IT’S RAINING!” She yelled and immediately took those laundry which were hanging on the line. “Sunggyu, help me!”

He was stunned enough to do anything. You know it’s going to rain. That’s why you told me to come home early, huh? He smiled to himself. “Ne, Omma!”