Lost

Golden Tears

 

It’s a few days before Kai sees Luhan again. Luhan steps into Kai’s dorm, Kai’s eyes unable to meet Luhan’s. Kai’s not even sure how Kai found out where his dorm was- it was always Kai who was practically living in Luhan’s dorm- but Kai knows that secretly, he doesn’t mind.

“Hello, Kai.” Luhan greets. He sits down carefully on Kai’s bed and blinks, eyelashes fluttering.

Kai becomes stupidly blunt, sort of a side effect from his ‘Luhan Virus’. “What are you doing here?”

Luhan turns to Kai and their eyes lock. As much as Kai wants to look away, he can’t. Because he knows that he wants the caramel-haired boy, needs him.

“I’m done thinking,” he whispers, before he latches onto Kai and kisses him. Kai’s pretty shocked, but still responsive. His cheeks are wet with tears- he’s not sure if they’re Luhan’s or his.

“What…?” Kai manages.

“I’m not leaving you. Ever. They can’t take me away from you.” Kai’s not sure what this means but all thoughts fade once Luhan’s lips are on his own again.

<><><> 

The next morning, Luhan wakes up early. He blinks a few times, his eyes adjusting to the light. A faint smile spreads across his lips as he sees the defined features of Kai, his eyes tracing over every detail of his face. There’s a little hint of gold dust on Kai’s cheeks. Luhan slips out of bed and gets dressed, running his hands through his hair before writing a tiny note and sticking it on Kai’s face.

Later, Kai wakes up, finding a sticky note on his forehead.

I’m at my place making breakfast. Come join me when you wake up. You’re so cute when you’re sleeping <3

P.S. you have nice abs ;) do you work out?

-Luhan

Kai blushes, the blush turning every inch of tanned skin bright pink. That idiot… he’s so dead when I see him. Kai sticks the note carefully on his desk to preserve it, then goes to shower quickly. Afterwards, he throws on a salmon colored sweater and heads to Luhan’s apartment.

When he reaches his apartment, he’s greeted by a Luhan who’s drying his hair. “Sorry,” Luhan apologizes. “I was just showering cos you weren’t here yet, so…”

“Sorry to keep you waiting,” Kai replies while pecking Luhan’s cheek. The two sit down at the table and begin to dig into the beautiful banquet that Luhan prepared- toast and jam.

Luhan eats quietly, eyebrows furrowed.

“Something bothering you?” Kai grins, leaning over the table and biting into a piece of toast. Luhan looks up, as if he didn’t know he was deep in thought before. “You can tell me. There’s nothing to be shy of. I mean, last night, we just- mfff!”

Luhan’s blushing furiously with his hand over Kai’s mouth. “Shut up,” he says.

“You’re adorable,” Kai replies. He glances at the clock. “Oh crap. I’ve gotta go.” He gives Luhan a kiss that tastes like strawberry jam and waves, turning away to leave. Luhan smiles as he watches Kai turn away, blowing him a kiss before the door closes.

“You slept together.” Yunho appears in the seat in front of Luhan and states in that flat tone of voice that Luhan hates.

“So?” Luhan avoids Yunho’s eyes.

Yunho sighs. He picks up a piece of toast and spreads jam on it, taking a bite. He chews, then swallows. “I don’t want to play the bad guy. Do me a favor, please. Come with me willingly.”

“There’s no way,” Luhan snarls. Yunho’s eyes widen. It’s the first time he’s ever seen the gentle Luhan be anything but, well, gentle.

“Then I’ll give you until midnight tonight.”

<><><> 

At night, Luhan and Kai lie side by side, limbs tangled, fast asleep. Their peace is interrupted when the doorbell rings. Luhan wakes up immediately- he feels another angel’s presence.  Untangling himself from Kai, he heads down and opens the door.

“Thought he’d be here so I rang the doorbell normally. Like a normal person. Come on, step out.”

Luhan rolls his eyes, but steps out nonetheless.

“You don’t appreciate it? I was extra considerate! I’m pretty sure he’d be pretty creeped out if I showed up in your room randomly at midnight.”

Luhan tries hard not to smile, but he takes one look at his admired hyung trying to keep a straight face and loses it. The two of them burst into laughter.

Yunho opens his arms and Luhan steps into them, giving his beloved brother-like figure a hug. “I’m sorry, Luhan.”

Luhan shakes his head. “I’m sorry too.” He breaks the hug and steps back. “I’m not going with you.” He turns back to the door to head back in.

“Luhan.” The soft whisper is barely heard, but forces Luhan to freeze in his tracks. Luhan turns slowly and sees Yunho’s eyes, begging and filled to the brim with tears. “Please. You’re just going to hurt him.”

Luhan stops. Yunho’s right. If he stays on Earth for too long, he’ll lose his ability to hide. The government will hunt him down to dissect him and then what will happen to Kai?

Luhan wipes Yunho’s tears. “Hyung. Please don’t cry.” The sight of the man who has been an older brother, a supporter, crying- it makes Luhan want to curl up and bawl his eyes out. But he knows he has to be strong now.

Jaejoong had been killed. Defending Yunho after Yunho stubbornly refused to leave. The angels had given Yunho a second chance because no human life shall ever be wasted.

“I’ll go,” Luhan whispers. He clears his voice, steadying it. “I’ll go,” he repeats, louder, steadier. The two of them step away from the dorm and disappear.

 <><><> 

Kai wakes up to the doorbell. He feels Luhan leave, untangling their limbs. Kai just tries to go back to sleep. But then he hears a voice that’s not Luhan’s, and feels a bit uneasy.

He carefully sneaks downstairs, peering out the window. Luhan’s talking to a handsome looking man who looks a bit older than Luhan. The two are laughing. Then, they hug. Kai’s eyes widen and anger rises in his chest. Then he hears Luhan’s voice.

“I’m not going with you.” Kai’s eyes get even wider, if possible. What…?

Something is said that makes Luhan turn around, makes Luhan wipe the other’s tears. Kai clenches his fist.

“I’ll go.”

And that was the last time Kai saw Luhan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have some more word barf :)