Basketball with New Friends

Change

 

‘’So did you get into the team?’’ Sungmin was always the first one to start the conversation at break times. ‘’Or did that stupid Leeteuk prick beat you again?’’

Donghae scoffed at what he thought was a ridiculous question. ‘’Of course I did,’’ he proudly replied. ‘’And let’s get this straight, he never beat me. He only made it through because of unfair blackmail!’’

‘’Why would someone want to play soccer at school so badly? When I saw him at your try-outs last year he wasn’t even that good.’’ Ryeowook questioned as he took a bite out of his home-made sandwich.

‘’Exactly!’’ Donghae almost clapped his hand against the canteen table, a bit too happy that someone had agreed with him. ‘’So that’s why I got in this year and he didn’t.’’

‘’You should’ve seen his face when you beat him in the fitness tests,’’ Kangin laughed. ‘’Best moment of my life! Never seen him so pissed at you,’’

‘’Yeah,’’ Donghae nodded, remembering when it happened. ‘’It was pretty funny, though he probably hates me for life now.’’ The whole group all laughed and agreed.

 

When it came to only 5 more minutes of the lunch break left Ryeowook quickly remembered plans he had made with Sungmin earlier that day. ‘’Oh!’’ Ryeowook quickly placed his hand on Sungmin’s arm, almost slapping him accidently causing Sungmin to nearly spit out his drink. ‘’Don’t forget to meet at the library next break so you can help with English.’’

He nodded, quickly swallowing the rest of his drink before Ryeowook could do anything else to make him spit it out. ‘’Sure, but if I’m late this time promise you won’t stress out.’’

‘’Of course I won’t.’’ Ryeowook slightly laughed. ‘’And if you do then I’m going to tell Mr Lee that it was you who put the spiders in his notebook.’’

Sungmin’s eyes widened at the friendly threat. ‘’You wouldn’t dare…’’

Just as Ryeowook went to think of another threat, the bell rang and lunch ended. Still finishing their food, Donghae and Ryeowook were still sitting as Kangin and Sungmin packed their things, wanting to get to class a bit earlier than usual.

‘’I am not having another detention with that loser,’’ Kangin stated to Sungmin. ‘’He’s going to make us clean the desks if we’re late again!”

‘’What’s up?’’ Donghae asked after everyone else had gone to their own classes. ‘’You’re slightly happier than usual…’’

Ryeowook looked across to his friend, smiling back at him. ‘’I don’t have to do sport today!’’ he grabbed his bag and put it over his shoulder. ‘’The teacher said that he wants to focus on the more athletic students rather than the ones who don’t like sport. I think it’s a better idea.’’

Donghae followed after him, walking him towards the school sport hall. ‘’If you didn’t want to do sport then why did you choose it at the start of the year? You could have done Biology with me and Kangin.’’

‘’And I would have been terrible at it. You know Biology is one of my weak points.’’ He explained. ‘’Doing sport was just my way out of getting another fail. It’s too easy to pass in sport. ‘’Plus my father thought it would be good for my health,’’ he scoffed.

‘’We should have been put into the same sports class,’’ Donghae sighed. ‘’Would have been fun.’’

‘’True, it is pretty boring without any of you guys. The class is just full of those smart- people who believe they can do whatever they want. So annoying,’’

‘’Well I have to go,’’ Donghae saw that the hall way was almost empty, meaning he would probably be late for class. ‘’See you after!’’

Ryeowook just smiled and nodded in reply to his friend as he ran off. Turning to face the door of the sports hall, he sighed. Yes it was easier to do a subject that was little effort in receiving a good grade but it seemed too much like cheating to Ryeowook. He shook his head, getting those thoughts out of his head and opened the door.

When he walked into the main locker room he noticed that no one else was in there, indicating that everyone had already changed in the sports uniform and that he was late. Quickly rushing through his bag, he found his uniform and shoved it in his small locker.

The school’s sport’s uniform was made of a light black material. The pants were just above knee length and the shirts were sold in either short sleeve or sleeveless. Ryeowook, of course, having nothing to really show off had a short sleeved shirt. He hurriedly changed into it and went out into the sport area towards the rest of his class.

‘’Now everyone, today we’re going to play a small friendly game of basket ball. Now if there are-‘’ the teacher stopped mid sentence, noticing Ryeowook quietly slip into the group of students. ‘’Well, so nice of you to join us Kim Ryeowook,’’ Making all of the people around look towards him. ‘’Any valid reason of being late?’’

Ryeowook silently coughed, embarrassed by the sudden attention of so many people. ‘’No sir,’’ he said as he kept his eyes to the floor. ‘’I was just talking to my friend. It won’t happen again.’’

‘’Probably that stupid Donghae boyfriend of his,’’ Ryeowook heard someone whisper next to him. He looked up quickly only to see who it was but his attention went back to the teacher.

‘’Quiet!’’ causing everyone to stop their own conversations. ‘’Now either everyone can split themselves into two teams or I’ll pick out myself. Also anyone who wishes not to play and waste their time can sit out.’’

As most of the class pick out the teams, Ryeowook moved himself off to the side. Despite the slight teasing, he proudly went over the bench and sat down, crossing his legs up on the chair.  After 10 minutes and some minor arguments, the teams were sorted and Ryeowook’s slight daydreaming began.

Ryeowook wasn’t the only person to be sitting out of today’s sport lesson. One of the classes’ smaller students, Henry, was also sitting out. The boy was lying down on the side bench only a metre or two beside Ryeowook. He thought it was a bit odd to find Henry, of all people, not playing today. He was one of the grades fittest students after all.

‘’Hey,’’ Ryeowook quietly spoke, not really wanting to bother the man. ‘’How come you’re not playing today?’’

Henry sat up slowly, looking towards the person talking to him. ‘’Oh, hey Ryeowook. What’d you say?’’

 ‘’Why aren’t you playing? You’re like the best in this class,’’

‘’Oh,’’ Henry looked down to his feet. He then lifted up his arm. His lower right arm and hand were covered in a white cast.  ‘’Did it last week,’’ he explained. ‘’That’s why I’ve been away. Suppose it’s for the best though, ay?’’

‘’Why the best?’’ Ryeowook was sightly confused. ‘’It’s terrible, and now our badminton team might not win this month.’’ He joked.

Henry laughed. ‘’You’re right. But it’s a kind of good thing that I’m out the next few weeks so the new guy can have his glory.’’

‘’New guy?’’

‘’Yep, because you were late you missed out on the introduction. There’s a new student in our sports class, think he’s new to the school as well. Never seen him around before.’’ Henry pointed towards the other end of the court. ‘’See the guy who just scored? His name is Choi Siwon, just came from overseas too.’’

Ryeowook looked through the group of students, trying to see his face clearer. As soon as he spotted the tall and well-fitted student, the first thing he noticed was his flawless figure, even in the school’s sport uniform. Ryeowook saw him flick his sweaty hair back out of his face as he high-fived his friend after successfully scoring another perfect goal.

‘’Handsome, isn’t he?’’ Henry said, bringing Ryeowook back out of his thoughts and uncontrollable starring.

‘’What?’’ He quickly snapped defensively. ‘’Handsome? Why would I think he was handsome or pretty or-‘’.

‘’Hey,’’ Henry laughed at the man’s nervousness. ‘’It ain’t a bad thing. Practically everyone else in the school thinks he’s the most iest thing already!’’

‘’Really?’’ Ryeowook’s eyes widened slightly as he turned back to find this Siwon again. Out of all the guys on the court, Ryeowook couldn’t disagree that there was something about him that stood out amongst the rest. He stopped himself from thinking about it, there is no way that Ryeowook could think another guy could be attractive.

‘’Yep, but not that anyone has a chance.’’ Henry sighed.

‘’Why?’’

‘’He’s already best friends with Eunhyuk and his group. So everyone knows that it’s best to stay away.’’

Just after Henry finished talking, the teacher stopped the game and called everyone over to the benches. ‘’Okay guys, great game though some of you fellas need to step up a bit is you want to make it for try-outs next week.’’ He warned, and then turned to Siwon.

‘’And excellent work Siwon, so glad to have you in my class. Now the try-outs are next week and since our lead Henry Lau is out I’ll be expecting you to step up.’’

Siwon just nodded at the teacher’s instructions while his friends were quietly laughing at Henry’s misfortune. Now that he wasn’t able to beat anyone at sport, Henry now became a new target for Eunhyuk and the others.

‘’Well, class is over. Our next lesson will be tomorrow and this time everyone will be participating,’’

After those final words from the teacher everyone hurried to the lockers. Ryeowook deciding to let everyone else go to the showers first, stayed and walked back with Henry. ‘’So are you still able to work with your injury?’’

Henry looked at the interested man. ‘’Nah, they said it wouldn’t be right to let me keep working at the restaurant while my arm is like this. Had to agree with them though, it is a bit difficult being a waiter with only one hand.’’

Ryeowook didn’t ask anymore. Obviously he didn’t know where Henry worked or else he wouldn’t have asked. He could also tell that the other didn’t want to talk about his disadvantage anymore.

‘’Don’t worry about class though,’’ Ryeowook said in a more cheerful voice. ‘’Next term you will kick that new Siwon guy out off the court. He doesn’t know what he has coming!’’

Henry scoffed, trying not to show too much of a smile. ‘’That’s if I recover completely. Now come on, you will be late for lunch if we keep talking.’’

Ryeowook thanked his new friend and rushed off towards the locker room. Though as he left to get his bag, he couldn’t help but feel terrible and saddened by Henry Lau. Just thinking about not being able to do what you love made him worry for his classmate. But it also made Ryeowook think;

What do I love?

 

***

 

Yep, I can tell what you are all thinking.... This chapter is extremely late and shouldn't have been. I am dearly sorry if you are unhappy with me and my updating, I promise it will not happen again!

Anyway, so did you like it? I actually think this is my favourite chapter so far. I think Henry is quite an interest character and I'm very happy about putting him in the story. Just remember! More exciting stuff will happen in the next chapter, I promise you that (again)! Please leave your comments and thoughts!!