Sehun: Yearnings

Everything Changes

 

 
The Engineering cafeteria reverberated with the hum of conversation and laughter, and the garlicky aroma of kimchi from a hundred food trays permeated the air. The guys had met there at 1.15 pm as usual and were now munching away, deep in conversation. Sehun was sitting beside Baekhyun, their thighs almost touching. Neither one of them had brought up the events of the previous night and that morning - both acting as if nothing had happened and that absolutely nothing had changed between them. Perhaps later when they didn't have such an inquisitive audience around, Sehun might bring it up.
 
Baekhyun asked Chanyeol how it had gone with Yoon Hee on Sunday and Chanyeol groaned theatrically that he had crashed and burned. Two hours of helping her browse through nightmarish pink, purple and yellow laptops, and all he had to show for his trouble was a free bulgogi burger and soda at Lotte, his life. The others laughed at his most recent epic fail, while he gave them a death glare that would have reduced weaker souls to smoldering piles of ash.
 
Kyungsoo asked him to itemize the exact shades of pink and purple he'd had to endure and Chanyeol began disgustedly rattling off words like fuschia, cerise, and dusky rose. The other guys were crowing in disbelief and mirth when suddenly, everyone at the table went quiet. Sehun, who had been toying disinterestedly with his food, looked up to see what had brought on the abrupt silence.
 
"Hi, Sehun." It was Soo-Jung. Soo-Jung of the long, straight hair and limpid eyes and legs that went on forever. Soo-Jung who had been trying to ask Sehun out for two months. But this was the first time she'd ever approached him at lunch though. Chanyeol was staring openly at her - Sehun had to admit she was undeniably pretty and Chanyeol could never resist an attractive girl. As for Baekhyun ... he didn't dare look at Baekhyun.
 
"Hi, Soo-Jung. What's up?" 
 
"Can you walk with me for a while?" she looked at the other guys awkwardly. Sehun nodded, sure, and stood up slowly and followed her out of the cafeteria. He refused to turn and look but he was pretty sure the other guys' jaws were hanging wide open. But he really only cared to know what was going through Baekhyun's head. 
 
Soo-Jung finally came to a stop at a concrete bench and took a seat, gesturing for Sehun to sit beside her. 
 
"I don't suppose this is about Multimedia Applications?" Sehun smiled wryly.
 
"No, Sehun, it's not," she had to laugh at this and there was a brief, uneasy silence before she asked, kind of in a rush like if she didn't get the words out in one shot they'd be trapped inside her forever, "Sehun, will you go out with me? You know I've liked you for a while now but you've never said anything to show you're interested but I'm hoping you're just shy and yeah, will you go out with me?" Then she covered her face with her hands like she was dying of embarrassment. 
 
"I ... I'm sorry Soo-Jung but I just can't. I don't-" 
 
"Can I at least know who she is?"
 
"It's kind of complicated." Sehun gazed into the distance, avoiding eye contact with Soo-Jung and wishing he could be anywhere but here. 
 
"You really really like this person, huh?" she sounded so sad that Sehun turned to look at her. 
 
"Yes, yes I do. It's been a few years but I've never told the person. I'm not as brave as you, I guess." Sehun smiled bitterly. 
 
"Is there any chance you might change your mind?"
 
"I wish there was, Soo-Jung, but there's just too much history with this person. I don't think I could change my mind even if I wanted to. I'm so sorry." 
 
"Oh Sehun, I don't know who's more sad here - you or me. How can I even be upset with you?" Soo-Jung laughed miserably, "Can we just pretend this conversation never happened? Like ... Can we go back to what we were? Friends?"
 
"Sure, Soo-Jung. Friends." Sehun's smile reached his eyes.