Chapter 3: First insult. Beginning of war?

My fake husband the Busan Monster

 

I got my first subscribers, I am so happy.
Thank you so much! Please comment and subscribe :)
 
 
 
{Claire's POV}
I dislike him. He is rude and proud and he's made out of ice. Clearly he dislikes me as well, it's obvious. Why are we doing this again? Oh yeah, stupid Jin Ae.
 'I shouldn't be complaining, I really can't afford anything else.' I sighed as I got to the address. As I expected, this house is huge. I could already tell by his clothes and demeanor that he is loaded, not that I care, money is just money. Back to the problem at hand. With one more sigh I ringed the bell.
"Hello?" a gentle older voice said through the speaker.
"ah, yes, I don't know if DaeHyun-shi told you I was coming, I'm the temporary guest" I said a bit nervous.
"Oh yes, do come in" she buzzed the door open and I quickly entered. I walked up the stairs that led to the house. When I got all the way up, a short woman with silver hair was waiting for me.
"Welcome" She bowed politely
"Thank you so much for having me! I am still no used to Korea and I am not always useful, but I will do my best to help out!" I bowed 90 degrees and felt really nervous all of the sudden.
After a couple of moments I heard her chuckle softly. I looked up wondering if I had said something stupid, my korean is not perfect after all. I guess she saw my concern because she stopped laughing and smiled up at me.
"Don't worry child, you have said nothing wrong, it's just, you are unexpected" she said.
"Thank you?" I was unsure if I was being complimented or insulted.
She nodded and ushered me inside. I will take it as a compliment then.
"Here is the main entrance" We took our shoes off (I ALWAYS place me shoes neatly, just a little stereotype breaker about us waegookins), she kept on walking me around the house identifying the living room, kitchen, dinning room, bathroom, and so and so rooms. We went upstairs after the main floor tour and she explained more... this is taking forever, he should have bought a smaller house.
"Your room is at the end of the hall, Hyunie told me to explain to you that his room and study are off limits"
"expected that" I said as we entered my room "wow, this room is very nicely decorated"
"Why thank you. Jin Ae and I took the time to decorate it in a fashion a girl would like. Hyunie does not have the most female friendly taste" she chuckled.
I laughed as well "I also expected that!" But then my smile dropped "You guys practically had no time and still went through the trouble." I felt really terrible now. She shook her head and chuckled again.
"Let's drink some tea" she said smiling at me.
I gladly accepted her offer and we both went back to the kitchen after I set my stuff down.
"well" she said as she poured me some plum tea "I was told by Hyunie not to be too friendly because I am too talkative, that kid is still the same" She explained with a nostalgic smile. I smiled at her, I already liked this woman, she kind of reminded me of my grandmama.
"Are you saying he is always been a jerk" I blurted out before I knew it. "Oh, I'm sorry!" I can't believe I just insulted him in front of the woman who probably loves him like a grandson.
There was a moment of silence and I swear I almost pissed my pants. But then, she laughed. And laughed and laughed. She laughed so hard I thought she would run out of air.
"I believe we better keep that between us two. Please be patient with him, he's not the best at dealing with people. But speaking of calling people names" she continued "How do you want me to address you miss?"
"Claire if fine"
"Very well miss Claire"
"No, no need for miss, just Claire" I smiled at her, I don't like formalities.
"So be it then" I guess she would allow me to at least feel this much at home.
"On this same train of thought, what do you want me to call you ma'am?" I asked politely.
"Ahjuma is just fine" she said as she began to cook dinner.
"I can't possibly do that" I said bluntly, I can't be taking like I have lived here all my life.
"You are a strange child" she said while she chopped some vegetables.
"huh?"
"You want me to address you informally but you can't be informal with me? Now that is unfair, and you don't want to be unfair to an elderly woman, now do you?" She made me feel bad for being too formal, she is definitely my grandmother in disguise.
"O-ok then, ahjuma" I said while blushing a little.
"anyways, go get settled in child, I will call you when dinner is ready" she dismissed me.
I bowed slightly and went up to my room. I unpacked my clothes and put them away. I also connected my computer and got online. I messaged my parents and told them I would call later and signed out before they could reply. I know, it's my useless attempt at procrastinating the awkward 'no home' conversation that was to come. I changed my clothes and slipped into my black tights and super oversized sweater, and I also pulled my hair into a bun ponytail. Having finished all for now I decided to go downstairs and help. I entered the kitchen and ahjuma looked at me.
"Set the table please" She said, probably guessing that I came down for this purpose.
"How many?"
"three of course" she said nonchalant
'Jin Ae is probably visiting' I thought happily. Too bad I wont be able to join them, Dae Hyun will not want me there.' I set the table quietly, but often when I'm by myself I hum or sing softly to fill in the silence, old habits are tough to break. This time I ended humming the song 'already gone' by Kelly Clarkson. I was half whispering half humming the second verse when I was interrupted.
"What are you doing?" 
The Busan Monster is home.
I stopped singing but kept on setting the chopsticks.
"Setting the table" I said not bothering to look up.
Without another word he put his suitcase down and sat at the end of the table.
"Claire!" Said a voice from the kitchen
"Neh ahjuma?" I answered happily. 'Forget the beast is here, forget he is here'
"Can you help me carry some of the food?"
"Coming!"
I almost ran to the kitchen and grabbed the heaviest dish, even if I saw she didn't want me to, I'm not heartless you know. I went and put the food on the table. Ahjuma sat down next to the jerk. 'I guess Jin Ae is a bit late. Well, time for me to split'
"I will see you in a while" I bowed and started to make my way out the dinning room.
"What do you mean? Who do you think the extra plate is for?" Said ahjuma confused
"Eh?" I looked back confused. I stared at the empty seat, then at the monster, who seemed displeased but made no attempt at kicking me out. I sat down before he changed his mind.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
[DaeHyun POV] 
 
Today I couldn't concentrate at work, and its all that waegookin's fault. I know she dislikes me. Good. That means she'll get out faster. I dislike her as well. I can already tell her temper is dangerous; but at the same time she must be naive to have been fooled out of her money. Great, I took in an idiot. 
"Goodbye sir" the employees bowed as I made my way out to my car.
The drive home was exhausting, probably due to traffic, but somehow didn't seem quite long enough before I got home and knew that the foreign wacko was on the other side of the door. Maybe she hadn't come? 
'Yeah right' I told myself to stop giving false hopes.
I walked in and I was greeted by the smell of ahjuma's cooking. I took my coat off and walked to the kitchen. On my way there though I heard a soft whispering. I stopped on my tracks and went inside the living room. There she was setting the table, singing to herself like she was Cinderella or something.
"What are you doing?" I asked noticing the extra set of utensils. She stopped humming but didn't pay attention to me, which I dislike.
"Setting the table"
No sh*t Sherlock. I wanted to say something, but I have to try and make peace with this so it goes by fast. I set my stuff aside and sat down while I watched her and she coldly ignored me.
"Claire!" I heard ahjuma
"Neh ahjuma!" Her attitude changed instantly and she smiled brightly. These two are in friendly terms already? I told ahjuma not to do this. But I guess I should have expected it.
They came back with the dishes and ahjuma took her seat next to me.
"I will see you in a while" said Claire as she bowed and left. What? She wasn't setting the plate for herself? She really is an idiot, but it's clearly better this way.
"What do you mean? Who do you think the extra plate is for?"
Ahjuma, she was almost gone! Don't do this to me!
She looked at the plate and then at me and sat down quietly. We ate in silence. I didn't mind, there is nothing for us to talk about anyways. I silently watched Claire, subconsciously trying to find flaws in her so I could dislike her more easily. But, unfortunately for me, her manners at the table were something I couldn't laugh at. So annoying.
"Claire darling" ahjuma said. She stopped eating and looked up " do you like it?"
"Neh ahjuma" she nodded and smiled "your cooking is amazing!"
Ahjuma was obviously pleased but hid it with a small smile.
"Next time I have to cook for you!" Claire said and I snorted a laugh before I knew it.
What? She doesn't look like the cooking type and personally I don't want to die. She turned to me and shot me a cold, uninterested look; all the while ahjuma gave me a stern glare. I ignored them both.
"Idiota" she said something in a language I couldn't understand, but it was most likely an insult.
"You said something?" I asked, tired and annoyed as I am, I m not about to take things quietly.
"Not your business" she retorted
"My house, it's my business"
"My words, my business"
"you are going to make difficult on your first day?"
"You tell me." She turned and glared at me
"Yah! Don't you think you are being ungrateful?" I raised my voice.
She set her chopsticks down hard, glared at me once again, got her stuff, took it to the kitchen, came back, picked up all the remaining dishes, and I heard her washing them furiously. Ahjuma got up and went to help her. She finished fast and then started to go up the stairs. When she was half way up she stopped and looked at me who was still sitting at the table.
"I said you where an idiot, idiot!" She said and then stormed off.
For the next five minutes I sat there, completely and utterly flabbergasted.
No one ever dares to insult me.
This. Means. War.
 
 
So? Am I doing alright? I hope it's remotely interesting....