Chapter 7

The Death Games

Chapter 7

The sound of birds chirping wakes me up. Light shines on my face. It's morning. The second day in the arena. God knows if I can survive today like I did yesterday. I know two things I'll be doing today. Find some water and find Luhan.

I try to wiggle out of my sleeping bag without falling down my tree. Getting out of a sleeping bag on a tree is as hard as getting into it on a tree but eventually, I manage to get myself out. I stuff it into my bag and climb down my tree.

I set off in the direction I saw Kris go yesterday since I have no idea where to start.

I walk and walk and walk for god knows how many hours and my water bottle isn't filled yet. I walk some more and then my feet are completely worn out. I decide to walk some more and find a tree to rest in for a while. I lean my head against the tree and stretch my legs on the branch and begin to doze off.

I am not awaken by the sound of chirping birds. But by the silence of them. And the smell of smoke, too. Smoke... Wait a minute... I turn around to see fire burning down the trees. It takes me a second to realize that if I don't get the hell outta here, I'm going to get burnt. Climbing will take a longer time so I jump down from my branch. It hurt me a little but I don't care. I run as fast as my legs can carry me. But it seems like the more I move, the faster the fire catches up to me. It's gotta be the work of the Gamemakers. I bet that right now, they're having fun throwing fire balls at me. Speaking of which, one flies to me, almost hitting my face but luckily, I duck in time.

The Gamemakers launches a few more at me. But thankfully, didn't slow me down. I have abosolutely no idea where I'm running to. But I do know that the smoke from these flames is making it harder and harder for me to breath. A flaming tree falls in front of me, blocking my way. I almost ran into it but quickly turn away but as I did, another fire ball is launched at me. It lands right in front of me and it left a big and terrible scar on my arm. I scream in pain as my skin breaks away, leaving blood flowing out. The pain is so unbearable that for that moment, I consider just stabbing myself in my heart with my knife to end the pain. But of course I didn't. There are way too many reasons on why couldn't do that.

They launched another fire ball at me and I notice it just in time. I duck out of the way and ended up rolling down a hill. I get up, and start running for my life again. The smoke's really making it hard for me to do just that. It's so strong that I can just faint anytime.

But I keep going, trying not to take in the air that could possibly end my life. I run, coughing and spluttering, until I feel that my pants are wet. Oh, God, no. Did I just--?! I look down. Oh, thank goodness, it's just water. Water! Yes! I've found water! I'm in a lake. I hurridly take out my water bottle and fill it up to the brim. 

It takes me about five, four minutes to realize that I'm staying in the lake way too long. Because I can hear cocky laughter and loud conversations. Onew, the guy from 1 spots me first and then rest of the Careers. Jonghyun, Key and Taemin. Damn it! I got out of the water and run straight back into the woods as the Careers runs after me. When the fire started, I totally threw away everything Kris has told me. To stay hidden all the time. But how can I? The fire was about to eat me. Still... Maybe he was right. I guess my screaming was so loud that the Careers found me.

As I'm running for my life once again, I can hear their shrieks of happiness and evil laughter. I know I can't outrun them. They have their weapons and amazing ability to not miss their targets. So instead, I climb up a tree. I know that's the only place safest for me. Sure, they'll find me but I know that none of them can climb trees. The branches can't hold their weight and they'd fall. It's their fault for being so masculine. Plus, if they can't get me with any of their weapons. It would only just go striaght down.

Not long, the four Careers surrounds my tree and watch me climb. I know that one of them would try to climb up here to get me. And right on cue, Jonghyun's chosen. I have no idea why they sent him. He's the most masculine out of the four. Just like I predicted, Jonghyun falls before he climbs half the tree. I settle myself onto the highest branch and watch the idiot try to climb again. Silly, silly boy.

I can see that Key and Onew are cheering loudly for Jonghyun. Taemin keeps quiet and stares at me. Jonghyun smirks at me. "I'm coming for you." Oh, please. You can't even make it to half of this tree. I roll my eyes and continue watching Jonghyun's failed attempts. He grabs a very thin branch and he falls as it snaps.

"I'll handle this, Jonghyun." Key takes out his bow and arrows. Damn it! That was suppoused to be mine! I remember eyeing it at the Cornucopia, yesterday. It was the only one there. Now, it's in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it properly. Key has his bow and an arrow stringed. He pulls the arrow at my direction and I suddenly remembered that the Careers have precise aims. Well... Key has an almost precise aim. As he lets go of the arrow, it flies past me, missing me by a few centimeters. Jonghyun takes Key's bow and one of his arrows. He's going to try to shoot me down. Nah. Not ever going to happen. I know Jonghyun has good aim but he's not familiar with the bow. As he lets go, the arrow flies over my head and sticks onto the tree.

"Let's just wait her out." Taemin finally says something. The other three Careers gives him a look. "You know she can't stay up there forever, right? So when she comes down, we'll kill her." I wonder why Taemin said that. He could just kill me now if he tried climbing up the tree. He's the only one out of the Careers that I think can climb a tree. He's strong and little small. Which means, he can climb up here and get me, no problem. But why isn't he doing that? Why is he planning on waiting me out and not killing me now?

Onew and Key look over to Jonghyun for an answer. "Fine. Somebody go make a fire." The three of them walk away from my tree, leaving Taemin staring at me. I feel like this boy is trying to say something to me. 

And then I finally understand when he winks and gives me a small smile.

I'm at my usual position when I'm on trees. Head leaning on the tree and legs stretched on the branch. I rest my badly burnt arm on my lap.

It hurts even more looking at it. It's ruined, my arm is. My ruined skin coated with blood. I don't know if any plant can fix this. It doesn't matter anyway. I can't go down. They'll kill me if I do. I take my water bottle out of my bag and unscrew the cap. I pour a tiny amount onto my injury and wince. It hurts like a thousand knifes stabbing right at you. I bite the collars of my jacket to hold down my scream as I pour a few more drips onto it.

The big red splotches don't look any better. I really, really can't stand the look of my arm. It's way too horrifying. I remember of a way to cure it but it's nearly impossible for me. I know for a fact that the Capitol has many types of medicines to cure things like this. But I can't possibly go to the Capitol now and buy it. I can only hope that Leetuek is now trying to help me gain some sponsors.

I was sleeping soundly when a twinkling noise awakes me. I see a small parachute with a box attached to it. It lands on my lap. I open the box and see a note.

'Apply generously and stay alive.
                                                           - L' 

I see a small metal tin and take it out. I know that it's medicine for my injury. I mouth the word 'Thanks'. I know that Leetuek is watching me right now. I take a generous amount of the medicine like I was told and pat it softly on my arm.

Instantly, I the cooling sensation on my arm relaxes me as I drift away to sleep.

I'll try to dream of a solution to the problem that I'm in now. I've got water covered. Now, I have 4 things on my to-do list. One, find some food. Two, steal the bow from Key. Three, escape from the Careers. And four, find Luhan.


Hi all! :)
The second day in the arena ends with 0 tributes dead and 25 alive Alright, this is a very boring chapter. No Luhan. No Kris. No nothing. i think i may have just gave something about kris away But there is the Careers and Sooyoung. I hope you enjoyed this and don't forget to check out the next chapter when it's been posted. :)