Chapter 4

The Death Games

Chapter 4

The four of us, Lady, Eunhyuk, Amber and me, eat our breakfast while waiting for Leetuek and Luhan to join us. Leetuek comes out but it's just him. No Luhan.

"Where's Luhan?" I ask Leetuek.

"In his room. Listen, tomorrow's the last day the Gamemakers let us work with our own tributes before the game so you and I will be going down at 9."

"What about Luhan, then?"

"About that... He says he wants to be trained seperately." Leetuek shrugs.

I suddenly felt furious with Luhan. What's going through that stupid mind of his? One minutes he gives me friendly smiles and hugs the next he says he wants to be trained seperately?! Good. Fine. At least now I know that if I want to kill him, I can do so without feeling guilty.

Leetuek notices the rage in my face. "This kind of thing does happen at this point. Only one survives."

The audience appluads as Top appears on stage, giving a big smile and showing his pearly whites. Top jokes around with the audience for a little bit before getting serious.

"Can I open my eyes now, Eunhyuk?" I ask my stylist who I think is sitting on the couch in front of me. I don't know, my eyes are closed anyway.

"Go ahead."

I do. And when I do, I'm being greated by a lovely girl. Wait a minute. She looks like me. Wait another minute! She is me! I'm staring at my own reflection! And I also realize that I just called myself lovely. I have to say, Eunhyuk did a really great job. The white dress is somewhat simple but is still beautiful. I know that Eunhyuk slapped a bunch of makeup onto my face but I hardly can see it or even feel it.

"It's pretty, isn't it?" 

"It's gorgeous."

Eunhyuk smiles. "Why, thank you. Alright, make sure you twirl for the audience and Top."

"Why?"

"You'll see." He smirks. "So, are you ready?"

"Of course not. Like I said, I'm not so good with people."

"Well, you're pretty good with me. Good with Leetuek. Good with Luhan. Even Amber, too." Luhan. I roll my eyes at that name. That boy. That stupid boy. Just thinking about him makes my blood boil.

"Yeah, of course. You, Leetuek and Amber." I purposely leave out Luhan.

"The Gamemakers like you and the Capitol people can't stop admiring your powerful spirit." My powerful spirit? Actually, I've never really thought about that. I guess it suggests that I'm a powerful fighter. Which I probably am since I can't wait to kill Luhan. "Okay, Sooyoung? Just pretend that you're talking to me. I'll be there, anyway." I nod. That makes things a little better. 

I sat at the waiting room with the other tributes. I look at Seohyun and Sehun who are at the very back. Seohyun gives me a friendly wave and Sehun gives me a smile. I don't look at Luhan, though. It'll only make me want to punch him.

"Choi Sooyoung?"

I turn to come face to face with a boy. "How did you know my name?"

"Why won't I? You're famous."

"I'm what?"

"Famous. Everyone here knows you. Even the Careers."

"They know me?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yeah, that's not really good thing. Means they're either targeting you or choosing you as one of their own. But either way, you're going to die. Even if you're allies, they're going to kill you at some point. Like when you're no use to them." Interesting... We both have the same thoughts. "Kris."

"Nice to meet you, Kris."

"Ditto. So uh, how old are you?"

"16. And you?"

"17."

"The girl from your district?"

"She's 17 too. Her name's Jessica." Kris gestures to the girl beside him.

The girl, Jessica, whips her head around. She glares at Kris icily. "What?"

Kris shrugs. "Nothing. I was just introducing you to Choi Sooyoung, over here."

"Oh, the telekinises girl."

"What?"

"Jessica Jung." A Peacekeeper calls.

"Good luck, Jess." Kris says before Jessica goes on stage. She gives him the smallest of smiles and goes ahead. "Anyway, she's referring to your costume. It was actually pretty cool. How it floated around you. Props to your stylist."

"You guys's concept is pretty cool too. I liked your wings. Very realistic."

"Oh, that. It was supposed to represent flight." 

"I see."

"Hey, you're alright, Choi Sooyoung. I thought you'd be like one of those arrogant jerks from the Career districts."

"Thanks, Kris. You're not to bad yourself. And you can just call me Sooyoung."

"So, have you made any allies?"

The word 'allies' makes me think about Luhan and how he suddenly wanted to become enemies. "Well..."

"You haven't? I'm surprised since you're always hanging around that boy from your district." I shake my head slightly to let Kris know that I don't want to talk about it. Not when the boy from my district is sitting beside me. "Oh. I get it."

"Kris Wu." A Peacekeeper calls Kris's name for his interview. 

"Ah, that's my cue. Wish me luck." He whispers.

"Good luck." Kris flashes me a smile before going on stage to join Top.

"Um... Sooyoung?" I know that voice. But I refuse to look at him. "Sooyoung?" Luhan taps my shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" I snap quietly.

"Sorry." He mumbles.

Stupid kid. He still thinks it's alright to talk to me even after what he said. Well... Maybe I'm being a little too angry. I mean, he's just doing this to try to keep himself alive. Well then why was he so nice to me before?! I shot back I myself. My thoughts were interrupted when a Peacekeeper calls my name. As I walk up to the stage with sweaty palms, Luhan whispers a 'Good luck' but I ignore it.

I shake Top's hand and wonder if he notices the sweat on my palm. "That was quite an entrance you and your friend made at the parade. Tell us about it." Top begins.

Friend? What friend? Anyway, I scan the audience in search of Eunhyuk. I found him. Right in the middle. He gives me a slight nod. "Well I was just hoping that I wouldn't get knocked on the head by the cubes." I say honestly. The audience including Eunhyuk cracks up. Top does too. Was that really funny? It's true. I really was hoping that I wouldn't get hit. I could actually get a concussion if I did get hit, according to Eunhyuk.

"When you came out of that chariot, I have to say, my heart stopped." Top says. "Did any of you experienced that?" Top asks the audience. He gets roaring appluases and cheers in return. "My heart stopped."

"So did mine." I agree and the crowd laughs once again.

"Now, can you tell me about the cubes? Are they real?"

"Yes. I found that out from my stylist. And he says I was lucky enough to not to get hit by them because it might result in a concussion." The crowd and Top cracks up once again. I can see Eunhyuk giving me a thumbs up and does a twirl with his fingers. I get what he is hinting at. "I'm actually wearing them today. Would you like to see?" The crowd cheers wildly.

"Wait, wait. We won't get hit, right?" Top asks me amusingly.

I smile. "No, we won't." I stand up and spin. Immediately, I'm awestruck by what it does. As I twirl, the fabric of my white dress disolves in cubes and leaves me with a mini dress.

"Beautiful! Gorgeous! Outstanding!" Top claps his hands. The audience cheers and chants my name. After twirling, I sit down with my now mini dress. "So, Sooyoung, can you tell us a little bit more about you little sister."

My face instantly falls. "She's 12 and her name's Sulli. Sulli's my whole life. I love her more than anything in the world. I would never let anything harm her. And that's a little hard to do when I'm away from her for the first time." Top pats my shoulder. "But I'm sure my cousin, Minho, is doing a great job."

"So, did you say anything before you left?"

I nod my head. "Yes. I told her I'd try to win." Well, not technically. I said I will win for her.

Top gives me a smile and pats my hand. "And try you will." We both stand up and he holds my hand up high. "Everyone! Give it up for District 6's Choi Sooyoung!" Everybody cheers and appluads wildly. And I realized that I might actually have a chance.

Leetuek and Lady congratulates me as a walk off stage. It's now time for Luhan's interview and I wish Leetuek didn't force me to watch.

I have to admit, even without Top's help, Luhan's pretty entertaining on his own. But then came a question from Top that gets me really focused.

"So Luhan, is there a special girl back home?" Luhan hesitates for a moment and then gives a shake of his head which I know is fake. "Oh, come on. Everybody knows you're lying. Good looking fellow like you who doesn't have a girl? You're kidding, right?"

Luhan finally gives in and tells Top the truth. "Well, yeah. There is this one girl. I've known her since I was seven. We see each other everyday. I thought maybe she actually liked me but, after something that happened, I don't think she does anymore."

"I tell you what, you win this thing, go home and she'll have to like you."

"Top, I don't think winning's gonna help me."

"And why not, Luhan?"

"B-Because..." Luhan takes a deep breath. And I move closer to the the TV, truly interested in what he's going to say. "Because she came here with me."


Ah! Ermahgerd! I can wait to get started on the next chapter... You know what I mean right? I hope you do. So, Kris and Jessica are introduced. Both are 17 and from District 5. Okay, I guess I should tell you the districts and their tributes. Xiumin and Sunny-7, Suho and Taeyeon-8, Lay-9, Baekhyun-10, Chen and Hyoyeon-11, Chanyeol and Tiffany-12, D.O and Yuri-13, Tao-14 and finally Kai and Yoona-15. I randomly placed them together so there won't be any romance with them I guess... Or maybe there will be. Oh, there are ones with no partners because I think adding too much will kinda affect the story. But frankly, there were only 9 SNSD members. :P 
I paired Sooyoung and Luhan, Kris and Jessica, Sehun and Seohyun together for reasons which will be revealed in future chapters. :)
I hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to check out the next chapter when it has been released. :D