It's a Date

Don't Let Innocence Fool You

 

It’s a Date

                The young boy gave out an exasperated gasp as he performed a back flip with the upmost ease. Zelo anchored his weight toward the balls of his feet as he did spun around, hands moving at precise measures, rhythmic to the beat.  As his body glided across the sleek floors, Junhong’s thoughts reverted back to his conversation with Yongguk just hours before. His plan had gone according to his wishes, and more. At first, the younger just wanted to feed his curiosity, and figure out why the older looked so undauntingly similar to a man he once knew, yet he’d never expected the elder to display any mutual interest in him.  Bang Yongguk, he thought. So familiar. Didn’t Yongnam hyung have a brother? The younger pressed his eyes closed for a moment, as he let his body move on its own. That’s right, he recalled. While Yongnam protected his brother from the hardship of Dragon, Yongguk shy away from it all.

They say that Yongguk was an excellent fighter among Tiger’s rival gang. He was fierce, yet passionate. Zelo snorted, Passion leads a man to his downfall. Suddenly his body jerked forward, freezing before it could progress to the next choreography he’d already planned out in his mind. With a soft sigh, Zelo spread his arms above his head, and collapse onto the ground. His back was pressed against the studio’s floor, while he plopped his head against his arms; moppy blonde hair matted against his eyes. . Bang Yongguk, Bang Yongnam. Lifting up his right hand, he made a gun gesture, pointing it at the ceiling he whispered, “Bang.”

                “Hello? Is there someone here?” Zelo’s ears perked up. It must be that student. A few hours ago, Zelo had begged his instructor to let him stay after, just for a little while, and as a condition he had to share the studio with another student of his whom already asked to borrow the studio. Without another word the boy had quickly accepted. He didn’t mind sharing the studio with anyone, just as long as he had someplace to dance his heart out, he was content.

                “Wah? Z-Zelo? What are you doing here?” A strangely familiar voice cried out. Quickly, Zelo snapped his head towards the speaker’s direction, “ Ah! Jonguppie hyung! It’s been a long time!” The younger beamed, grinning ear to ear.

                Jongup blinked, his mind still registering the boy’s presence in front of him. “I thought you were in Juvenile Detention. Zelo laughed as he repositioned himself into a sitting position. Puffing out his cheeks, the younger replied.  “Aniyo! They let me out because they couldn’t link me to the crime.” The younger boy pulled his knees against his chest. Hugging them tighter against himself, “But is that the first thing you ask me hyung?”

                Jongup shook his head, “No! Ah- but Zelo-ah….Does Tiger know about this?” The younger boy shook his head furiously, his curls bouncing along with him. Pulling a blonde lock away from his eyes, Zelo’s smile slowly drained from his lips. “Aniyo.” He said a matter of factly, “They still think I’m rotting away in detention. And,” The boy looked directly in his college’s eyes. “They won’t know yet, right hyung? Not from you, because we’re friends.” Moon Jongup took in a shaky breath. He willed the words to come out of his mouth, “Right.” Not because of friendly obligation, yet that was one. Another much bigger tale; reason for keeping him quiet was the younger’s smile; it was no longer succulently innocent with harmless actions. No, this one was much different, shadier; full of promises of boding evil.

                The younger clapped his hands, and without warning he shot up from his earlier position to give the seventeen year old boy a warm hug. “Thank you hyung!”  

                Jongup’s grinned, as he pat his dongsaeng on the back, forgetting about what he’d witness just moments ago. “Yah, you’re welcome. But Junhong ah, where are you staying now, if Tiger doesn’t know?” Sometimes, I can’t help but think that Zelo’s not as readable as he appears to be. The younger boy pulled away from Jonggup, his eyes glistening with childish glee. “Here! The police are paying for my dorm so I can play for as long as I want!”

                It was finally the moon’s time as night bleed the once exuberant sky black. As Yongguk cranked his apartment door open. He tossed his keys to the side. Shutting it behind him, he proceeded to the living room where he slumped himself onto the couch, his feet rested on top of their stained coffee table. No Yongnam, He concluded when he finally scanned the area. Yongguk flipped on the television. He threw the remote beside him, and then rested his head against the top of the sofa. Yongguk closed his eyes for a brief moment before he heard the door behind him close. Yongnam.

                He felt his twin make his way towards the kitchen and then towards the couch. “Secret’s Gurupop is on? I didn’t know you were into that kind of thing Gukkie.”

                Yongguk eyes slowly perked opened. He found himself staring into his twin's eyes, with Yongnam’s hands on both sides of his head. The elder twin was leaning slightly over the other.

                “Yah, Yongnam.” He says while he studied his brother’s features. Yongnam looked less pale; healthier that most days. Usually his twin would come home with at least a black eye and a fake smile plastered on his face. On those days, Yongnam would come home as if to get a glimpse of Yongguk for the last time, then he’d disappear for days, which was where Yongguk had to take matters into his own hands. He’d find himself in Dragon’s headquarters, demanding T.O.P to lessen his brother’s off screen jobs and hand them to him. Yongguk shuttered. He didn’t want to think about the so called task T.O.P gave him when the sun still shines. Only in the sheets of nights, the deepest abyss of dreams would he let those nightmares lose to haunt his very conscious. It’s his redemption.

                “Hm?” Yongnam reverted his attention to the screen, a hint of a smile pressed against his lips. It broke Yongguk away from his more deeper thoughts.

                “I meet the new student today.”

Yongnam tensed.  “Really?” His words were slow.

                “He asked for directions.”

                Yongnam nodded, “I see.” His eyes were still glued on the television, but Yongguk knew his attention was elsewhere.

                “Nam….How is he dangerous? He’s just a kid and-“ Yongnam cupped his brother’s cheeks in his hands. “Yongguk shut up. Listen to me when I say that he’s dangerous. In this world, shouldn’t you learn by now that looks can be deceiving?”

                “Then give me a good reason why Yongnam? Tell me why, because I don’t get it.” He pleaded with his eyes; searching in his brothers’ for some type of clue, yet only brown distant orbs stared back at him. Yongnam leaned forward. He pressed his forehead against his brother’s, releasing a sigh.

                “Yah, we’ve lived together for twenty three years, can’t you just take my word for it? But why are you so interested in this kid all of a sudden. Don’t tell me you like him.”

                “I don’t! Yah! I’m straight Nam! I…”  Yongguk huffed. He ran impatient fingers over his hair, his eyebrows furrowed; eyes closed. “You’ve always offered explanations. Good explanations. Not the cryptic “Stay away from him” explanation Yongnam.”

                Yongnam shook his head, a sad smile forming against his lips. “You’re so pushy, and acting manly won’t do anything for you. I know your real five year old side.” Yongnam pulled himself away from his brother. He waved goodnight as he headed towards his room. “I can’t. Zelo would be made if I do.”

                Yongguk’s eyes widen. “Zelo? I never told him….” They know each other? Yongguk swallowed. He wanted to barge in his twin’s room and demand where and how he got such an information; instead he clicked off the T.V. then headed to bed himself.

                It’s been weeks since their last encounter with one another. Most days he’d only have a brief glimpse of the younger when he entered class, but today, Yongguk had arrived early on purpose. He had his pack seated beside him while he sat in his regular seat, in the third to last row. His chin rested against his hands as he eagerly waited for the boy’s arrival. Yongguk’s heart skipped a beat when he’d finally spotted a familiar ramen blonde entering the classroom. The younger began to ascend each individual case, humming as he did so. Yongguk soaked in Zelo’s appearance, until he disappeared from the elder’s point of view. Today the boy was an oversized dark maroon oversize sweater, with the words “BAD BOY” printed right in front in big block letters. Every day Zelo had on a new sweater, all seemingly too big for his tall skinny stature, yet Yongguk didn’t mind. It made the younger seem more childish;babyish – cute. And every day the older man desired to have another conversation with the younger, yet he couldn’t. The morning after their discussion, Yongnam made him promise not to approach the new student again, which he had half-heartedly agree.

                Zelo gently swayed his legs back and as he waited for their professor to show up. His attention locked onto Yongguk the entire time. Every day Zelo enjoyed studying the elder’s profile. He enjoyed hearing the rustle of the elder’s clothing as he moved or the way Yongguk’s hair muse when the elder run his hands through it in frustration. Zelo had especially loved it when a lock of the elder’s hair would stray away from the rest. Silently the younger placed his head against his arms; heat crept along his cheeks, tinting them pink. No Junhong, bad thoughts! Bad thoughts!  Sighing the younger peeked his eyes from his arms, as he attempted to steal another peek at the elder.  And from the corner of his eyes, he spotted the professor.

                “Why haven’t you tried speaking to me yet hyung?” The younger whispered. One time, Junhong gathered his courage to make the first move to finally go and speak to the distant elder, but was only pushed away when Kim Himchan forcibly lugged Yongguk to lunch, killing Zelo’s chance and deflating his courage. Zelo furrowed his brows, offering his thoughts a pout. Once back in reality he heard, “Alright then, you may pick your partners.”  What exactly did I miss?

                Yongguk pressed his eyes closed, a slow heavy breath mounted within him. Another collaboration project, and this time he couldn’t work alone. Not with an even number of students. Yongguk could hear the whispers from upfront, the piecing stares of his peers  puncturing his senses. Then lastly, he heard giggles of girls, ogling over at what he’d suspected at the young boy seated in the far back row –Zelo. Yongguk felt a pang of jealousy as one of the girls passed him in a hurry to ask the sixteen year old to be her partner while he was stuck with some poor soul. He saw the fear in the girl’s friend’s eyes as they made eye contact. “I feel so sorry for her. She’s going to be stuck with him.”  Yongguk took in a deep breath, his hands slowly forming a fist.

                Zelo frowned. He didn’t like what he saw, nor heard. Those people, those beings were worse than most of the members of Tiger all together. They gang up with one another and spread false rumors about a man who’ve they’ve never really known.Yet still they inisit that they’re better than those thugs littering Seoul’s streets. You don’t know him either Joonie.  His conscious slyly commented. You know nothing about him. Why, you’re even worse than the people here, and you know it.

                “Wow, we’re lucky to have each other aren’t we?” Sang-Ji grinned, breaking Zelo away from his thoughts. For the first time he noticed there was someone beside him. “I thought I’d be stuck with the Dragon thug, but now I have you.”

                Zelo cocked his head to the side, his lips were pressed apart just slightly and eyes widening as if he didn’t know what she was talking about. “Noona, what are you talking about?”  Play innocent to catch the liar, he giggled to himself.

                Sang-ji laughed at Zelo’s sudden joke, until it came to her. The younger was being serious. “We’re partners for the collab. I thought since you were new, you wouldn’t know anyone. ”  

                “Oh,” With a sweet smile, Zelo took the girl’s hand in his, leading her down three steps. “But what about your friend over there?” He asked softly, his eyes half opened.  “I think she wants to be your partner more because she keeps staring at us.” Sang-Ji waved her hands back in forth, “No! I…We’re not friends. We’re just dorm-mates that’s all.”

                Zelo nodded slightly, “I see, but Noona, I think you’re missing something.”

                “W-what?” 

                Zelo dropped his acting, his innocent image slowly dissolved away as a mischievous grin tugged the ends of his lips. The younger wrapped his arms around Bang Yongguk, causing the older to freeze in response. “I already have a partner.”

                “You-! Do you know what he is? He’s-“

                She called him a “what”? Displeasure mixed with annoyance.

                “Bang Yongguk, the one who gave me directions.” The younger stated a matter of factly.

                “And he’s also-“

                “My partner.” Zelo embraced the elder tighter, “Mine.” He whispered. “He’s mine.”

                Sang-Ji blinked, all the words seemed to have been knocked right out of her. The younger’s last words were territorial; almost predatory in its own way. With one last look Sang Ji backed away. “Don’t think I didn’t warn you brat.”

                Zelo stuck his tongue out at her, “She’s a scary noona.” The younger murmered. “Well,” He says turning his attention back to Yongguk, whom was still staring ahead. “Treat me nicely Yongguk hyung!”

                …

                For the past couple hours, Zelo had watched Yongguk scribble down lyrics and then forcibly crumple in up into a petite ball which was later used as a mini basketball. The trash being the basket. The younger found it hard to keep his eyes open, the reason being that he didn’t leave the studio until one in the morning.

                “Yah, I’m sorry that I’m boring you.”  His voiced sounded deep; rich yet strong, like water colliding against rugged rocks.

                Zelo slowly shook his head, his eyes still blissfully closed. “Aniyo,” The younger spoke softly. “I just went to bed late. But hyung, what else do we need besides a performance?”

                “Visuals.”

                “I can dance,” The younger responded, “Since I can’t write lyrics like you.”

                “Hey Zelo”

                “Hm,” The younger’s words were becoming more airy; light.

                “Why did you pick me? Haven’t you heard about the rumors?” Yongguk could hear the younger’s breathing slow.

                “Because hyung…..you’re…more honest...then them.” Yongguk looked up to see the younger fast asleep. Yongguk reached over to wake the younger only to pause in midair. Gently he poked the younger’s cheek.  Squishy, just like a baby’s. He thought with a grin.

                “Yah Zelo,” He gently cooed. “I think we can pick this up tomorrow.”

                The younger grimaced in response, as he buried his head further into the crook of his arms.

                “Ani. I’m going out tomorrow. It’s break.” Yongguk’s smile disappeared. That’s right. He wouldn’t be able to see him. Idiot, Yongguk chided himself. Of course he wants to spend break out with friends instead of working on a project with you. What was I thinking?

                Zelo plopped his head back up, as he vainly tried to open his eyes. “Do you want to come with me tomorrow hyung? We can come back and work on the lyrics later. I need someone to show me around Seoul.”  And someone to play with.

                Yongguk swallowed. Did he want to? Could he? “Yeah.”

                The younger grinned. “Then it’s a date.”

 

.......................................................................

A/N

Sorry guys!! I have exams to study for so this might seem kind of messy.

P.S. sorry for the slow update~ (Back to studying OTL)