Yongnam but not Yongnam

Don't Let Innocence Fool You

Chapter 2

Yongnam But Not Yongnam

Today was the first day of college – for a sixteen year old boy. Zelo gulped, as he slung his oversized backpack over his shoulder. He then proceeded to tie a baby blue bandana around his neck. Zelo pressed his eyes shut, “It’ll be ok.” The young boy assured himself. “It’ll be fun, and I’ll make some new friends and….” The boy trailed off. A small distinct frown tugged the edges of the younger’s lips. Zelo grabbed his black cap; while shoving it on top of his head, the younger boy muttered under his breath, “I’ll live a quiet life, by myself.” So stop lying to yourself, His conscious chided him. You don’t want any friends; they’ll just bring you down. “That’s right.”

Bang Yongguk banged his head on top of his desk; a measly grunt escaped his lips. The man body slumped against the wooden edge; his body was giving into the fatigue. After spending the whole night struggling to write a song, he’d finally gave up. Instead he opted on turning in one of his already pre-written song, ‘Voicemail’, in hopes of getting a decent grade from his teacher. The song had already held some meaning to him, and an eerie image of a fateful night where his brother returned home, almost beaten to the brink of death due to a task given to him from Dragon. Even as Yongnam dragged his battered body into their shared apartment, he was singing Yongguk’s song like a drunken fool.  Yongguk holstered himself back up as he tried shaking away any lingering memories he fought so hard to keep locked in some god forbidden box. The song was a constant reminder to Yongguk of their position in Dragon, and their inability to compensate their debt.

Suddenly he felt a hand pressed against his back. Quickly Yongguk spun around to see who it was that touched him. Kim Himchan raised a brow at his friend. He pulled up the seat next to him, settling his bag on top of his desk. “Well aren’t we just jumpy today.” Yongguk breathed out another sigh, settling his chin back where it was. “Why are you here Channie? You don’ take this class.” Himchan shrugged. “I thought I could spend some time with my best friend, and,” Himchan raised his pointer finger in the air. “I wanted to see the newbie. I heard he’s a cutie. A little birdie of mine told me he was a noona killer.”

                Yongguk decided to humor his friend. “You don’t say?”

                Himchan nodded a matter of factly, “Of course.” Kim Himchan was also a part of Dragon, but unlike the others, the man spoke any and Yongguk means any words on his mind. And Himchan was someone who always voices his opinions to anyone and anything that had ears. The first day they met, the younger man instantly became attached to Yongguk, constantly chatting about the latest fashion trend or his new weekly girlfriend. And sometimes he would do horrible Aegyo nonstop just to annoy Yongguk. After a while, the two became close; and now best friends. Yongguk didn’t know Himchan’s story but he’d always had a feeling that it wasn’t a pleasant one due to Himchan’s drastic mood change whenever the topic was brought up by him or another party.  “Now where is he? Yah, Yongguk you see these people every day. Which one of these peasants aren’t familiar.”

                Yongguk snorted, “Peasants?” His friend gave him a mere shrug.

                “I’m expanding my vocab since my lit. teacher told us that we speak Korean like nine year olds with a pacifier. You can totally tell she’s popular with men.” Himchan rolled his eyes. “Now hurry up and tell me where the newbie is! I want to feast my eyes on this ‘Noona Killer’!”

Yongguk snorted, “As you wish your majesty.” He turned his attention away from the younger man, as he scanned the nearly filled classroom for an unfamiliar face; yet nothing. He found no one distinctly foreign to his memory. Nearly most of the people sitting in the very same classroom he sat in now were ones he’d seen lobbying in the halls during their free time and very few of them he’d spoken to. “Well?” Himchan asked impatiently.

                “I don’t see him.”

                “Eh? What do you mean you don’t see him? He should be here.” Yongguk buried his head back into his arms. “I mean I don’t see him. He’s not here.” The older man yawned into his elbow. He let his eyes flutter shut. “Stop complaining Himchan. You’ll probably see him in the halls.” He heard a humph from his friend. “Well then my purpose for being here is gone. See ya at lunch hyung.”

                “Ditching me in my time of need Channie?” He whispered playfully against his sleeves. Yongguk yawned; sleep hung heavily on his lids. Just five minutes, he promised himself, five minutes….

Zelo was late on his first day to school. When he entered the classroom, the teacher was in the midst of his lecture of how rapping should and can connect with the audience. Even as he tried to tip toe to the nearest seat, he still earned an annoyed glare by the teacher. The younger quickly took seat in the farthest corner he could find, away from all the other students, who were littered near the front of the room. There the young boy allowed himself to hide his face in his arms in embarrassment. He should have just asked for directions after all. Gathering his courage, Zelo forced himself to lift his head in order to get a better understanding of their lecture. Instead, he found his gaze wandering around the room, studying each face with care. Zelo’s gaze stopped on a man in a red jacket splattered with huge white stars slouched on top of his desk. From where he was sitting, he could hear the elder’s light snores.

Zelo furrowed his brows, he seems so familiar. The younger scratched his head. The man had a similar presence to someone he once met, but who? The younger laid his cheek on his hand, his gaze never wandered from the sleeping elder three seats in front of him. Even when the bell rang to end the class, Zelo stayed seated in the same spot, watching, studying the familiar man. With one last sigh, the younger boy decided that it was enough, and that he should get going before he was late to his next class. Zelo grabbed his backpack. Slinging it over his shoulder, he made his way towards the sleeping man. Once he was beside the stranger, he’d notice that the elder had his face buried inside his arms. The younger cocked his head to the side in fascination. So familiar, he thought.

Zelo blinked, maybe…. Without any other thought, he poked the man’s shoulder gently earning a slight moan from the elder. Again he nudged the elder but the man didn’t stir.

“I’ll wake him up,” A voice offered behind him. Zelo slowly turned around to see a man walking towards him. He brushed his hand through his hair. “He’s a heavy sleeper you know.” When the younger boy didn’t move, Himchan added, “You can leave now.” The younger’s eyes widen before he got the message. “Ah, ok.” He whispered before scurrying away. Before he left the room, Zelo turned around to get one last glimpse at the man. His eyes widened; Yongnam, but not Yongnam.

“You fell asleep, idiot.”

“I know,” Yongguk said, “You’ve told me like a thousand times.” Himchan ignored his friend. “If I wasn’t there, who knows what would have happened to you.” The older man offered Himchan his most sardonic expression.

“I would have slept through lunch.”

“Exactly! You would miss out on seeing your best friend!” Yongguk rolled his eyes. Sometimes Himchan can be so melodramatic. “I think I could survive that.”

“Oh and by the way Hyung, who was the Ramen Haired boy? He seems like a really cute kid. I’ve never seen him around before.” Yongguk raised a brow, “Ramen haired boy?” He says taking a sip of his soda. Himchan nodded, as he proceeded in taking a bite of his sandwich.

                “Yeah, you know. Really tall. Really white skin and a baby face.”

                “They’re no one in class like that Himchan.”

                “You sure?”

                “Positive.” Himchan clapped, “Looks like we’ve found the ‘Noona Killer’.”  Himchan gave an approving nod, “He really is a noona killer after all.”

                “That good looking huh?” Yongguk asked. Himchan shook his head. “No, he’s just really cute. Did you know he’s also sixteen?” At the last word, Yongguk nearly choked on his beverage. “Sixteen?! And he’s in college.”

                “Yeah, apparently he’s really smart. A little genius I guess.” Himchan glanced at his clock, “Ah well I got class now. I guess I’ll see you later hyung.” He grabbed his book, “Oh and check out the newbie. You might like what you see.” With a final wink Himchan skedaddled before Yongguk could get a chance to chew him out.

                With a tired sigh, Yongguk gathered his belongings, before dumping his tray in the bin. He turned and made his way to the library. Even if I want to, Yongguk thought, I wouldn’t know where to look.

                Zelo plopped himself on the ground in exhaustion. Carrying around four textbooks the size of his head was not his idea of a fun day in college. With a sigh, the younger slumped against one of the book shelves. His legs were spread slightly apart, and in between them was a novel he’d just checked out moments before. Zelo glanced at the clock located above him on the right adjacent walls. Just twenty more minutes he thought, then he could dance his heart away. Forgetting his book, Zelo imagined himself in the studio, with beads of sweat making their way down his forehead. But what’s best of all was the feeling of his movements, his choreography. They were free flowing; quick, and best of all, unpredictable. Another glance at the clock, nineteen more minutes. Impatience was eating away at the boy, and the book he had with him to pass time away did him no help whatsoever.

                Finally something else caught his attention; a familiar certain someone in a red cardigan jacket. Zelo’s eyes followed as the older man took his seat on one of the empty tables, far away from the other students. The man then proceeded to remove a piece of paper and pencil from his pack, then without warning, he slumped back on the desk. Yongnam, but not Yongnam was laying his cheek against the cool surface of the wooden table, his eyes, as Zelo could faintly make out, were closed.  The younger boy leaned closer, to get a better look at this man. How could he so much like Yongnam? Zelo pressed his eyes shut. Finally after the endless minutes of watching the older man, curiosity got the best of the younger. Zelo picked himself up, gathered his belonging and headed towards the stranger.

                Bang Yongguk felt something nudge the side of his arm. With much annoyance, the elder man shook the stranger’s touch away. “Um excuse me,” The boy had a somewhat nasally slightly deep voice which made Yongguk popped one of his eyes open. Inquisitively he turned his head to meet the young stranger. His eyes widen at what he saw. A boy, maybe a couple of inches taller than him, with bleach white curly hair so light that it radiated. The curls cupped the younger’s face, making him appear more babyish, younger. His eyes were dark, deep and rich, with enough purity that it made Yongguk miss the deeper, more experience wisdom in the boy. A smile played against the blonde’s lips, while he tugged his oversize rainbow colored sweater.  In his hand was a crumpled piece of paper. He handed it to Yongguk.

                “Can you please tell me where the dance studio is?” He asked softly, attempting to avoid eye contact with the elder. Yongguk blinked for a moment before his brain registered. Reaching out, he swiftly caught the paper from the boy’s hands. Their fingers briefly touched. He read the boy’s schedule and noticed something. They had the same morning class that morning, but then why didn’t he see him?

                “Just go down the hall until you reach the courtyard. Make a left, and then you’ll see a big black building.” The younger boy nodded, “Thank you.” He whispered.

                The younger boy turned to leave. “Hey,” Yongguk called out, causing the younger to stop in his tracks. “Yes hyung?” The last word was sweet like honey, yet dangerous as amber.

                “I didn’t see you this morning in class with Mr. Song.” The boy blinked numerous times. He patted his head, scarlet shading his cheeks.

                “I was late.” Yongguk nodded, taking note of how long the younger’s lashes were. At times when the younger would look down it would gently caress his cheeks. How cute, Bang thought before he shook the thought away. Did I just call him cute?

                “What’s your name?” He asked the younger. “I’ve never seen you around before.” And it was true he hadn’t, because if he’d ever saw just a glimpse of the boy before, he’d never forget his face. It was so……unforgettable. Distinctly a small smile perked Zelo’s lips, “Choi Junhong,” The boy announced. “Yet, some people call me Zelo.” Yongguk nodded, Zelo. That’s a peculiar name.

                “Like the god of jealousy?” Zelo’s smile widen. It was illuminating yet….devilish. As if the younger had something more sinister in mind than just an explanation. “Yes, hyung. Just like the God of Jealousy.” 

                “That’s interesting. Well I’m Yongguk. Bang Yongguk.” Yongguk could have sworn he’d saw the younger’s eyes widen just a bit. Fear began to wash over him, does he know?

                “Just like dragon soup!” The younger laughed. Relief washed over Yongguk, he doesn’t know. Some people around campus knew he was a part of Dragon, yet they had no proof to link him towards the organization then just rumors alone. Still, it made them uncomfortable enough to avoid contact with Yongguk all together, and he liked that. But for some odd reason he didn’t want that to happen with this boy he’d just met.“Well nice to meet you, Yongguk hyung.” The boy bowed to him. “Oh and by the way,” He yelled over his shoulder, “I just transferred here today.”

                Then Yongnam’s words crashed back at him,” Stay away from the transfer student.”

But why?