City's Bright Lights

Don't Let Innocence Fool You

“Ah,” The ramen haired boy sighed, stretching his arms over his head. “Seoul looks so pretty at night. Look at the city’s bright lights ahjusshi!” The younger boy spread his arms as wide as he could; his eyes reflected the city’s artificial lights while a sweet innocent smile lit up his little pale face. Zelo turned to the police officer beside him; cocking his head to the side Junhong furrowed his brows, a slight pout tugged his lips. “What’s wrong Ahjussi? Is there something the matter?” Widening his eyes Zelo continued, “Oh I won’t see you again will I? Don’t worry ahjusshi; we’ll keep it that way.” The police officer shook his head. He placed a hand on top of the boy’s head. “Junhong have you forgotten about the condition of your release?”

                “Aniyo!” The boy interjected, shaking the warm head away. “I have to go to school and then-!” The boy spun around, his eyes twinkling in excitement as his laughter made its way out of his body, “I’m free!” Once the boy got a hold of himself, Zelo placed a hand on top of his ramen hair. Cocking his head to the side once more, “But even then, you’ll still keep an eye on me won’t you?” The young boy lowered his gaze to his feet then back up at the middle aged man whose eyes seemed to have held paternal affection towards the boy. Maybe he did care about Junhong like a parent; maybe “Because,” Another grin kissed the youngers lip, but unlike the previous, it held something deeper; darker. “I’m an ex-Tiger, and tigers should be kept in cages” The older man’s eyes widen in surprise,

“Junhong where did you hear that from!”.”

 That’s what your partner told me.” The boy spun around, his arms held out from his side once more. The boy began to walk down the grey pavement in front of him, his head swayed side to side, “But don’t worry ahjusshi, this tiger isn’t as weak as he seems.”

                “Yah, Gukkie, stop ignoring me.”

                Yongguk growled as he shrugged off his brother’s affectionate attempts of skinship. “Go away Yongnam. I’m busy.” Yongnam rolled his eyes as he pulled up another chair beside his brother. As of current, Yongguk was attempting to write a song for one of his arts class; a song of which was due tomorrow morning. “You’re an idiot Yongguk.”

                “Shuddup.” His brother propped his elbow on top of Yongguk’s desk. Placing his chin in his hands, Yongnam watched his little brother scribble unreadable lyrics onto his fifty-fifth sheet of paper before watching him crumple it up into a ball. Another growl escaped his twin’s lips before he pushed his chair away from his desk. “ college.”

                Yongnam chuckled, “You were the one that decided to enroll in the first place Gukkie. Why not just take a quick break. Come on, we can go out for a drink.” Yongguk craned his head towards his brother, “And risk a run in with the others? No thanks Nam.”

                His brother shrugged, “Fine. I guess you enjoy being screwed over by paper rather than have a little drink with your favorite brother.” Yongguk ran his hands down his face in frustration. He was being screwed by paper, and his brother was doing nothing to ease his stress either. Sensing his twin’s distress, Yongnam sighed. Fine, he thought, I’ll be a little helpful. He scooted his chair over to his brothers’ then forcibly dragged Yongguk back to his desk. The older then placed a clean sheet of paper and a little black pen in front of his brother. “Birthday,” He said.

                Yongguk squinted one his right eye, “What?” 

Again, his brother rolled his eyes, “Write a birthday song.”  Yongguk continued to stare at Yongnam like he’d grew two heads or something. “I’m not going crazy Yongguk. I mean the song ‘Happy Birthday to You’ is getting old anyways. How about you write another one? And then,” Yongnam swung his arms around Yongguk’s neck. He tugged his brother closer till his head rested against the crook of his neck, “You can sing it to that special someone.”

                “Yongnam!”

                Yongnam pulled away, laughing. “Just a thought bro.”  Yongguk shook his head. As the man rubbed his eyes, he failed to notice his brother grabbing his leather coat. Not until he heard the door knob turn did he notice his brother attempting to leave.

                “Going somewhere?”

                Yongnam swung his coat on. As the older man begin to fasten its zipper he replied, “Yeah. I’m going out for a drink – with the others, since a certain brother of mine didn’t fall for my trap.”

Yongguk spun himself around, ignoring the papers spilling on the ground. “Yongnam-“

                His brother held up a hand, “Don’t.”

                “Then don’t go out – with them.”

                Yongnam shook his head slowly; a sad smile played its way upon his lips. “Can’t Gukkie. It’s part of the job.”

                “Then quit. Once I get a job then we can both get out of here and then-“

                “Don’t be credulous Yongguk. We still have that debt and until we pay every cent we owe, we’re prisoners of Dragon.”

                “SCREW DRAGON! We can just….” Yongguk buried his head in his hands, his words seemingly losing themselves. “If only that bastard didn’t gamble his life away.”

                “What’s done is done Gukkie, and we’re paying for it.” No, Yongguk thought. You’re paying for it while I sit here and write meaningless songs that don’t pay for . “And also Yongguk,” His brother straightened out his collar. His hands squeezed the door’s handle. “I hear there’s a transfer student coming in tomorrow. Do me a favor and stay away from him.”

                Before Yongguk could ask his brother why, Yongnam shut the door behind him, cutting off any words he tried to convey to his brother. After staring at the door for a minute, Yongguk spun his chair around. He picked up his pen and pulled out another clean sheet of paper. Ignoring the littered ground, Yongguk pressed the tip of the pen against his lip. “Birthday huh?” He said.

 

...

A/N

Short Intro is short hehe