Two.

RED (Working title with indefinite Hiatus)

 

 

2 days later (early August)

 

“Shin Marianne.”

 

I looked up expectantly, clicking my tongue against the roof of my mouth as my hands nervously smoothed out the peach colored waist skirt I was wearing.

 

Here’s the thing: when my grandmother told me I was going to be interviewed by S.M entertainment, I was skeptical. For the most part I didn’t believe her and assumed she probably got the names confused with some other company, but when she pulled out the application and the business card, I knew she wasn’t kidding.

 

My first thought, when I gazed at the application in my hand, was how she was able to get the job in first place.

 

“I play mahjong with the CEO’s mother every Wednesday night,” I remembered her saying. “She was telling me how her son was having a difficult time trying to find a new manager for one of their idol groups. Something about the last one being too rough with one of their fans. She didn’t exactly go into detail.”

 

I gave her a questioning look, before pressing my lips together and urging her to continue, “Please continue, halmeoni.”

 

“But then I was telling her how proud I was of you and how diligent you were with your studies, that she asked if you had a job; and well I’m pretty sure you could figure out the rest on your own,” she smiled.

 

The job I was applying for, according to my grandmother, was a manager’s assistant job. Now, I’m not entirely new to the Hallyu scene. To be honest, I do have interests in some bands, like Big Bang for instance and I guess you could say that I’m a VIP, although, I’m not as overly fan crazed as Stacey because she can’t help but gush over TOP.

 

The point was, I knew my idol groups, and by knowing my idol groups, I knew how much of a hassle this job was going to be. Tending to that said idol’s every need, making sure they got to their scheduled events on time, made sure they got enough sleep. It sounded exactly like the occupation of a nanny; and I did not want to waste my time babysitting some spoiled celebrity.

 

But with the lack of income I was having for the past couple of months, any job right now was a priority. So, I had to begrudgingly set my differences aside and accept the offer.

 

I cleared my throat, watching quietly while my interviewer, who was not the CEO, but a representative, shifts his gaze back and forth from me and then to my application, his nose wrinkling together in deep thought. “It says here that you were born and raised as a Korean-American, but your Korean… it’s very fluent.”

 

I nod. “Ah yes, well my mother is very traditional. She preferred that we speak strictly Korean in our home.”

 

He gazed at me for a moment before scribbling something down in his paper. “You also graduated… the Art Institute of California with a bachelor’s degree in photography?”

 

“Yes, Sir.”

 

Again, he took a couple of notes until finally, he closed the manila folder in his hand and placed it back on the desk right in front of him. I let out a breath, knowing that this interview was coming to a close.

 

“Your resume is quite impressive,” he said.

 

And for a moment, I felt hopeful. Hearing him say that, I felt like I still had a chance, that maybe, just maybe, someone was going to finally hire me. However, despite how hopeful I felt, I was able to easily notice the dissatisfaction in his eyes, the same dissatisfaction I saw from the previous employers I interviewed with.

 

I knew I wasn’t getting the job, because let’s face it, jobs and I, we weren’t exactly the best of friends.

 

“But, we’re actually looking for someone who has more experience in the field. Maybe you should try somewhere else. Sorry.”

 

By then, I was pretty much used to hearing those words, and every time, I would always end up disappointed. I mean, whom was I kidding anyway? An certified photographer trying to apply for a manager’s assistant position in a music company?

 

Talk about drastic occupation change.

 

Feigning my best smile, I took my portfolio from the table, sticking my hand out to shake his hand as I got up from my seat. “Thank you for your time, Sir,” I replied.

 

“Look Marianne, you seem like a very nice girl,” I heard him say. “Maybe you can work with us sometime in the future.”

 

Totally doubt it.

 

I simply nodded, bowing respectfully toward him and then making my way out the door. Once I was out, I slumped myself into a nearby bench, placing face into my palms as I let out an exasperated sigh.

 

What was I going to tell my grandmother?

 

It was bad enough that she worked hard to get me this interview— well not too hard— but not being able to get the job? I literally wanted to dig myself a hole and just stay there forever.

 

This was fan-ing-tastic.

 

Pushing my hair back, I figured that I would probably just go home. There was nothing left for me here anyway (except for my pride).

 

I let out another breath, shifting my purse over my shoulder, and then made my way down the hallway. I realized after a couple of minutes that my interview had taken place near the practice rooms, simple, windowless rooms with one grey door that lead in and out. I was kind a hoping I was going to see that famous room I remembered Stacey talking about the night before, the one with the blue-sky wallpaper…

 

I stopped walking as my ears had picked up the faint sound of music. Listening carefully, I heard the soft beats and the sounds of rubber soles hitting against the wooden floor. Curiously, I followed the sound; the music, growing in volume, led me in front of an open room.

 

I probably should have stopped myself from going any further and just turned around to go home like I had intended in the beginning; however, being such a deviant person, I couldn’t help but be so… entranced.

 

I poked my head inside and saw six teenage boys dancing. They were practicing diligently, hitting their forms perfectly, their actions becoming graceful. The fluid movements mesmerized me, reminding me of a time in high school when Stacey and I used to pass by the b-boys and the street dancers by the lockers. I was always so intrigued by their different styles and watching these six boys now felt nostalgic.

 

When the song ended, the boys practically collapsed to the floor. One was passed out with his face planted facing the ground, while the others sat closely together, exhausted. I took this as my sign to leave before I got into trouble for trespassing, but instead, I came face to face with a man who seemed to be in his late thirties.

 

“Excuse me,” he said, “visitors aren’t allowed in this area.”

 

“Oh I’m not a visitor,” I replied, even though I technically was. “I actually just came from an interview-“

 

“Interview?” I saw him quirk up an eyebrow, his mouth opening to let out a little gasp, “Oh! The interview for the manager’s assistant job! You must be the new assistant. I’m so glad you came!”

 

My eyes widened, but the man had shoved a clipboard, a binder and an envelope filled with money into my arms “Here’s their schedule,” he said. “They haven’t eaten yet so please spend the money wisely. You see, my wife is about to have our baby and Sunghwan hyung won’t be coming until a little bit later. I need someone to watch them for a few hours before he comes.”

 

“I’m sorry but-“

 

“Don’t worry, there aren’t any important variety shows they need to attend. It’s just a practice day so it’ll be easy.”

 

Before I could explain further— or if he would let me explain to him that I was not the new manager’s assistant, the manager sunbae had bowed respectfully towards me, thanking me profusely for the hard work that I had inadvertently gotten myself into. “Good luck!” he told me, hurriedly making his way towards the exit.

 

As I stood there, flabbergasted, watching him leave with wide eyes, my brain was finally able understand the situation at hand and I knew that it was definitely going to be troublesome.

 

Honestly, I’d always wondered why I get myself into unnecessary situations.

 

“Manager hyung?”

 

I shook my head, reeling myself out of my thoughts and then turning my attention toward the boy poking his head out the door. He seemed pretty young, my assumption being that he was about the same age as Lena or maybe even a year older. The color of his hair was odd, the shades a mixture of blonde, green and purple, reminding me of that time Stacey attempted to dye my hair, which had ended up being a total catastrophe.

 

He seemed a bit lost, frantically searching for the manager sunbae that had left me in charge for the time being. “Uh he’s gone…” I managed to say, causing the boy to jump.

 

His eyes grew wide just from the shock.

 

I cleared my throat, stepping over to him and clutching onto the clipboard and the binder tightly in my arms, “He uh… He left for a family emergency… He left me in charge.” I hear myself mutter the last part, watching as the boy blinked couple of times, still evidently confused.

 

“Hyung!” he called out, turning his head to glance back at his group mates. “Hyung, Manager Hyung is gone… and there’s… there’s a girl…?”

 

At that moment I heard surprised gasps, and then the shuffling of feet. Not one, but five boys came huddling in right behind the boy. They were skeptical, eyeing one another cautiously when one of the boys, who I assumed was probably the leader of their group due to the fact that he looked much older than the rest of them, came forward, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. “Uh, hi.”

 

I swallowed nervously, fighting the urge to throw up because that’s how I was feeling right now, apprehensive to the point of puking. However, pushing those unkempt feelings, aside I took a deep breath, bending forward to bow at them.

 

“Hello I’m Shin Mari, the new manger’s assistant.” I was totally lying, but seeing as how I had gotten myself in this situation in the first place, there was no way I was going to be backing out now. Letting out another breath, I continued to speak. “The manager sunbae had left me in charge for the time being due to a family emergency. So, until another manager gets here, I will be taking care of you.”

 

I raised my body up to look at them. Seeing them whispering amongst themselves, probably debating whether or not I was telling them the truth, even though I was… kinda.

 

The eldest turned his attention back to me, shushing the other members as he spoke. “I’m sorry, it’s just that you look too young to be a manager’s assistant…”

 

I blinked, noticing how cautious he sounded— no, how they all seemed discerning, until I was able to grasp why they seemed so fearful of me. They were probably thinking I was a saesang fan, who think that it’s okay for them to invade a celebrities personal space. Fans whom Stacey had personally nicknamed ‘crazy es.’

 

And I couldn’t agree more with her.

 

It made sense; most idol managers were men. There had been rare occurrences when there were women managers, but I have never once seen a manager as young as myself, walking along with dols during a fan signing or at the airport. Placing the binder and the clipboard under my arm, I rummaged through my purse for my resume, a copy of my application, and the ID card the company had given me temporarily for the day.

 

“Here,” I said, handing the leader the three important documents that assured them I wasn’t some crazed fan. “I just had my interview today.”

 

He eyed my documents and then me momentarily before turning his body to speak to the other members once again. I stood there awkwardly as they spoke, only understanding bits and pieces of their conversation, but for the most part they seemed to believe me.

 

I saw the leader shift his attention in my direction, a smile present on his lips, when he passed my documents back to me. “I sincerely apologize for our rude behavior. We were just a bit surprise that someone as young as you would be the new manager’s assistant.”

 

I shook my head, fully comprehensive with the situation. “Ah, no it’s fine. I understand.”

 

They led me inside the practice room, and I declined the chair offered to me, preferring to stand as they introduced themselves to me.

 

“We are one, hello, we are EXO K.”

 

My mouth parted, while my eyes grew wide, wondering how that name sounded so familiar. After a couple of moments, I was able to discern the familiarity of their group name: They were that band from the airport the other day, the band the lady in the restroom was telling my mother about.

 

Coincidence much? Definitely.

 

I pulled myself out of my thoughts, bowing respectfully once again. “It’s nice to meet you.”

 

The leader stepped forward, sticking his hand out politely to shake my hand. “I’m Suho, the leader of EXO K.”

 

I returned his kind gesture politely, and two more people stepped toward me.

 

“I’m Baekhyun,” one of the boys, whom I noted seemed pretty optimistic, replied, “and this is Chanyeol.” He jabbed his finger to the boy standing next him who was just as equally optimistic as he was.

 

“I’m D.O.” I shifted my gaze toward the boy who had offered me the seat couple of minutes ago. He was standing next to the boy with odd colored hair and another boy, who I realized had stayed quiet throughout the entire incident. “That is Sehun and Kai.”

 

For what seemed like an eternity, in my eyes, we stood there awkwardly. Collectively, it was mainly because I wasn’t sure what to do next, since this was my first time ever managing an idol group. I took the clipboard under my arm and went over it, analyzing the schedule that was made for today.

 

Dance practice at 10AM- 12PM

 

I looked at my watch, noticing that it was already past twelve and go further down the list.

 

BREAK 12:30- 1:30M

 

Dance practice 2PM- 5PM

 

My first thought when I looked at the schedule was how ridiculous it was. Dance practice for the majority of the day till 5PM and only one break? At least there wasn’t a photoshoot or anything today, because I was not looking forward to running around in my heels.

 

Smiling at them, I pointed towards the clipboard, “You guys have a break until 1:30, and the manager that left me in charge said you guys haven’t eaten today.” I realized that I hadn’t eaten either, but I ignored the feeling, simply because I was more focused on doing this job right.  “Is there a convenience store around? I’ll go buy something to eat.”

 

Suho gazed at me, mildly surprised by my statement. “Alone?” I nodded, yet he seemed to disagree with my answer. “No, no you maybe the new manager’s assistant, but you’re still a woman. I think one of us should at least go with you.”

 

Well, it was good to know that they still had manners. That was pretty chivalrous of him, spoken like a natural born leader.

 

“I’ll go.”

 

I turned, seeing that Baekhyun had raised his hand, volunteering to accompany me to the convenience store. I gave him a small smile as he strode towards me with a wide grin spreading across his face.

 

“I need to get out of this room anyway; it’s getting stuffy in here.”

 

I let out a little chuckle. “Thanks.”

 

I wasn’t sure what to expect after that; I mean, I was practically taking a gamble on the decision I’d made and praying to God that it wouldn’t compromise any future prospects of a job. But here I was, walking alongside some k-pop idol that I was vaguely familiar with, pretending to have obtained a job that I did not get.

 

To be honest, I still don’t know why I intended to continue playing this charade, even though I knew how much trouble I was going to be in.

 

And yet, willfully, I still accepted this fact.


A/N: So I figured I would try to update every week. Haha, because I have too much inspiration for this that I can't help but write out my ideas every chance I get. Anyway, the second chapter is a bit slow, but I want Mari to find her place in the story first before jumping into anything. Don't worry, the next chapter is actually way more interesting. So look out for it.